Author Topic: Trump puts Bannon on NSC  (Read 2754 times)

Re: Trump puts Bannon on NSC
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 139
This is going to be a fun 1 1/2 years

define "fun"  :)

I want to look at the next few years as a series of ironic yuks. But sadly, I think that some of these people are genuinely dangerous and capable of horrible things. Hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 293
It's looking like Steve Bannen is becoming the 2nd most powerful/influential person in the country  (next to Trump).  Those familiar with Breitbart who are not solidly to the right have every reason to be worried.  I had thought it hyperbole in November and December when left-leaners were warning Armageddon is on the horizon.  I still consider that to be hyperbole,  but to be afraid is legit in my opinion.
It might still be hyperbole, but now that we have seen a disastrous first 6 days in office, are you willing to take that chance?

20 months from now it will be September, 2018 and the mid-term campaigns will be well underway.  Given how typically enamored voters are with their own district's members of Congress, I am dubious of the Dems chances to make the kind of statement needed to send a message that will be heard by this president and his advisors.   Sadly, the nation will need to be in free fall for an anti-Trump mandate to occur in 2018,   

I believe Trump has not yet lost any of his supporters in this first week, but with each unsettling turn of events, the country will become less secure and more dangerously divided.   I don't think it's completely clear yet where this is heading.  But increasing Bannen's power is a worrisome sign in my opinion.
Dems generally underperform in off year elections.  The Dems are likely to lose several Senate seats. 
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/senate-democrats-2018-midterms-231516
Democrats are as angy/afraid as ever, I think that will energize the base and you will see a much better showing at the mid terms.

Trump could have included Bannon if he had wanted, since he's the senior adviser to Trump.

The big change is that the Chair of the Joint Chiefs was taken off the Council? Why?
I've read speculation that Trump is unwilling to listen to other government offices. That homeland security wasn't consulted on the Muslim ban and that the 10 senior state department members that quit were due to him not listening to them on the ban.

I assume that he elevated Bannon and removed the others because Bannon agreed with Trump and those guys didn't.

Trump is going to need to be stopped, and it's going to need to be by the republicans. I hope that enough of them display the gumption and values that the republican party was built on.
Never underestimate the incompetence of the Dems.  Add to that the horrible Senate map and they have no chance to retake the Senate in 2018.  They certainly won't retake the House.  They'll probably screw up the 2020 presidential race by nominating a liberal loon like Sanders or Warren.   
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2018+senate+electoral+map&view=detailv2&id=5E8BC036E701289D78D837D55F6C23641917E53A&selectedindex=1&ccid=RgKGvdAo&simid=607987939607514536&thid=OIP.M460286bdd028097156d9253b4960659eo0&mode=overlay&first=1

The Republican Senators should be a restraint on Trump to some degree.  They like their Senatorial power and certainly won't go along with Trump if it jeopardizes their reelection.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 744
It's looking like Steve Bannen is becoming the 2nd most powerful/influential person in the country  (next to Trump).  Those familiar with Breitbart who are not solidly to the right have every reason to be worried.  I had thought it hyperbole in November and December when left-leaners were warning Armageddon is on the horizon.  I still consider that to be hyperbole,  but to be afraid is legit in my opinion.
It might still be hyperbole, but now that we have seen a disastrous first 6 days in office, are you willing to take that chance?

20 months from now it will be September, 2018 and the mid-term campaigns will be well underway.  Given how typically enamored voters are with their own district's members of Congress, I am dubious of the Dems chances to make the kind of statement needed to send a message that will be heard by this president and his advisors.   Sadly, the nation will need to be in free fall for an anti-Trump mandate to occur in 2018,   

I believe Trump has not yet lost any of his supporters in this first week, but with each unsettling turn of events, the country will become less secure and more dangerously divided.   I don't think it's completely clear yet where this is heading.  But increasing Bannen's power is a worrisome sign in my opinion.
Dems generally underperform in off year elections.  The Dems are likely to lose several Senate seats. 
Democrats are as angy/afraid as ever, I think that will energize the base and you will see a much better showing at the mid terms.

Trump could have included Bannon if he had wanted, since he's the senior adviser to Trump.

The big change is that the Chair of the Joint Chiefs was taken off the Council? Why?
I've read speculation that Trump is unwilling to listen to other government offices. That homeland security wasn't consulted on the Muslim ban and that the 10 senior state department members that quit were due to him not listening to them on the ban.

I assume that he elevated Bannon and removed the others because Bannon agreed with Trump and those guys didn't.

Trump is going to need to be stopped, and it's going to need to be by the republicans. I hope that enough of them display the gumption and values that the republican party was built on.
I put something like that idea in other trump thread.  We as Americans NEED NEED republicans to stand up and use common sense (aaaah Thomas Paine we could use you).  Don't follow lines because Trump is pretending to be a republican.  "Now more than ever" , we need mccain, romney and others to voice their opinion.
Opposing Trump is incredibly risky from a political standpoint. Trump took a huge portion of the Republican base and completely owns it. If you speak against Trump you will lose a massive portion of Trumps base. There is a large population of Republicans who would love to see guys like Rubio Romney Ryan etc speak out strongly against Trump, but if they do they make themselves very susceptible to losing their seats/support.

Democrats would greatly gain respect for the Ryans and Rubios and Romneys of the world if they speak out against Trump, but not enough respect to go to the voting booth and vote for them over a democratic candidate. Trump has the entire Republican party's balls in a vice. Incredibly tricky situation for more moderate/classic Republicans.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2283
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I see this as potentially Trump's biggest step away from Democracy so far.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1128
This seems like a largely pro-forma move though. On many policy issues so far, Trump has sounded like a Bannon sock puppet, NSC or no NSC. Just read the Holocaust Day statement again.

Wonder what Jared Kushner's grandmother would think of all that if she were alive...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/31/jared-kushner-grandmother-refugee-holocaust
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This seems like a largely pro-forma move though. On many policy issues so far, Trump has sounded like a Bannon sock puppet, NSC or no NSC. Just read the Holocaust Day statement again.

That's I'm sure an accurate reading of what's going on. I'd hoped that Bannon would be less involved in actually running the country, but you're right, nothing Trump has done so far pointed to that, the most recent personnel moves notwithstanding.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White

That's I'm sure an accurate reading of what's going on. I'd hoped that Bannon would be less involved in actually running the country, but you're right, nothing Trump has done so far pointed to that, the most recent personnel moves notwithstanding.
My impression so far is that Trump only cares about issues that affect Trump and his tight circle of rich buddies. For everything else he seems content to defer to an inner circle of radicals that has long been kept on the fringe of contemporary politics.

The RNC, of course, sold their soul for a handful of cabinet appointments an the SCOTUS seat, but they will remain largely irrelevant unless they're able  (and choose) to demonstrate that checks and balances actually matter and that there are enough reasonable people left in government these days. It's really a disheartening thing to watch. I imagine that's how the Romans felt during the Great Fire.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 428

Never underestimate the incompetence of the Dems.  Add to that the horrible Senate map and they have no chance to retake the Senate in 2018.  They certainly won't retake the House.  They'll probably screw up the 2020 presidential race by nominating a liberal loon like Sanders or Warren.   
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2018+senate+electoral+map&view=detailv2&id=5E8BC036E701289D78D837D55F6C23641917E53A&selectedindex=1&ccid=RgKGvdAo&simid=607987939607514536&thid=OIP.M460286bdd028097156d9253b4960659eo0&mode=overlay&first=1

The Republican Senators should be a restraint on Trump to some degree.  They like their Senatorial power and certainly won't go along with Trump if it jeopardizes their reelection.

Nope, they're nominating Cory Booker, with an outside chance for Julian Castro.

BTW, since you put up an electoral map, I was pointed to a WaPo article about Minnesota and Virginia trying to change the way they do electoral votes, from "winner takes all" to "proportional based on Congressional districts." In other words, taking gerrymandering to the presidential level. This is not the first time that something like this has been tried and will get vetoed by the respective Democrat governors, but it would have a huge impact on the national vote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/25/republicans-in-minnesota-virginia-propose-changes-to-their-electoral-college-rules/?utm_term=.b0211998b579

Mike
Tickets for the 2017-18 season for sale at face value! Thread here: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=93612.0

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
I like Booker for the Presidency, but I think he will face an uphill battle to convince the base that he isn't just the second coming of Hilary Clinton without the female novelty factor.

Not sure where you got Castro, who wasn't great at the HUD and has close to zero national recognition right now.

I think Cuomo is a more likely candidate than either of these two, and he's already throwing his hat in the ring.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

Offline mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like Booker for the Presidency, but I think he will face an uphill battle to convince the base that he isn't just the second coming of Hilary Clinton without the female novelty factor.

Not sure where you got Castro, who wasn't great at the HUD and has close to zero national recognition right now.

I think Cuomo is a more likely candidate than either of these two, and he's already throwing his hat in the ring.

I'll take Cuomo. And with the way that HRC did, no national recognition might not be a bad thing.

Mike
Tickets for the 2017-18 season for sale at face value! Thread here: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=93612.0

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This (the dems choices for POTUS and other offices going forward) deserves its own thread. When it gets it, my vote is Tom Perez. Even though he doesn't really 'look' the part, he more kinda looks like the guy your mom started dating that is just 'okay, whatever'.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
This (the dems choices for POTUS and other offices going forward) deserves its own thread. When it gets it, my vote is Tom Perez. Even though he doesn't really 'look' the part, he more kinda looks like the guy your mom started dating that is just 'okay, whatever'.
Tom Perez got some chatter for the DNC late last year. He seems like a nice guy, but I'm not sure what I think about the agressiveness of some of the policies he pushed.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 438

My impression so far is that Trump only cares about issues that affect Trump and his tight circle of rich buddies. For everything else he seems content to defer to an inner circle of radicals that has long been kept on the fringe of contemporary politics.

The RNC, of course, sold their soul for a handful of cabinet appointments an the SCOTUS seat, but they will remain largely irrelevant unless they're able  (and choose) to demonstrate that checks and balances actually matter and that there are enough reasonable people left in government these days. It's really a disheartening thing to watch. I imagine that's how the Romans felt during the Great Fire.

At some point, technically the Republicans don't really need Trump.  They just need his pen.   And Mike Pence could sign their checks just as well.

Congressional district voting is only marginally swayed by presidential popularity or influence.   Senator voting even less so.   If the Republicans did get to the point where they decided to (and had legitimate grounds to) impeach, then they could do so and lose very little.   Especially if they do it early and with appropriate grandstanding for choosing country over king.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt? Incompetent? Which is worse? Does it matter? It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: -28004
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Apparently Bannon has now been removed from the NSC.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Apparently Bannon has now been removed from the NSC.
I am constantly trashing Trump, so I feel I must give him his due when I agree with something he's doing.

I really like him removing Bannon from the NSC and Trump deserves a lot of credit for realizing his mistake and correcting it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19