Author Topic: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)  (Read 88100 times)

Re: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I posted this question in the Jayson Tatum thread.  Note that I like Jackson over Tatum:

First off, I really like Jayson Tatum and am psyched that he may be our worse case scenario.

It sounds like people are thinking Tatum is an NBA power forward.  Am I right on that?  Because I've also read here that Josh Jackson is a wing and Jaylen is a better fit to play 4 than Josh.

Tatum is 6'8" and 205 lbs, averaging 16.8 points, 7.3 reb, 45% FG% and 34% 3FG%.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4065648/jayson-tatum

Jackson is 6'8", 207 lbs, averaging 16.6 points, 7.1 reb, 52% FG% and 38% 3FG%.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066297/josh-jackson

I always saw Tatum as a small forward, and I didn't even know how close the stats were between them except for Jackson's better passing and Tatum's better FT shooting.  Do people think he's more of a PF, and if so, why is hardly no one saying Jackson can be a PF with the same physical measurements, a high FG%, lower FT%, and nearly identical scoring and rebounding #'s?
I've seen this kind of thinking too, and I'm not sure why. Both seem at home on the wing, and their body types both indicate that playing at SF would be better, yet many still think Tatum is a PF.

My understanding is that both could play PF in certain lineups, but it is definitely not either of their preferred position.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I posted this question in the Jayson Tatum thread.  Note that I like Jackson over Tatum:

First off, I really like Jayson Tatum and am psyched that he may be our worse case scenario.

It sounds like people are thinking Tatum is an NBA power forward.  Am I right on that?  Because I've also read here that Josh Jackson is a wing and Jaylen is a better fit to play 4 than Josh.

Tatum is 6'8" and 205 lbs, averaging 16.8 points, 7.3 reb, 45% FG% and 34% 3FG%.

I always saw Tatum as a small forward, and I didn't even know how close the stats were between them except for Jackson's better passing and Tatum's better FT shooting.  Do people think he's more of a PF, and if so, why is hardly no one saying Jackson can be a PF with the same physical measurements, a high FG%, lower FT%, and nearly identical scoring and rebounding #'s?
I've seen this kind of thinking too, and I'm not sure why. Both seem at home on the wing, and their body types both indicate that playing at SF would be better, yet many still think Tatum is a PF.

My understanding is that both could play PF in certain lineups, but it is definitely not either of their preferred position.

Tatum body shape (wide shoulders, top heavy) ,  lack of "fast twitch",  tendecy to battle down low for rebounds/alter shots, makes him a better candidate to play pf imo

« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum body shape (wide shoulders, top heavy) ,  lack of "fast twitch",  tendecy to battle down low for rebounds/alter shots, makes him a better candidate to play pf imo
I agree with that, but I still think he's best suited to playing SF - or at least at the moment. His body type reminds me a little of Danny Granger's, especially if he's able to pack on 20 or so pounds.

I prefer Jackson over Tatum, but he is a really nice consolation prize in our worst case scenario.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I agree with that, but I still think he's best suited to playing SF - or at least at the moment. His body type reminds me a little of Danny Granger's, especially if he's able to pack on 20 or so pounds.

I prefer Jackson over Tatum, but he is a really nice consolation prize in our worst case scenario.

I think come the combine tatum will impress.... Either an inch taller, longer wingspan or reach ... Or all the above. His ability to stretch as a 4 will be nice.... So he doesnt giveup much at the defensive end and also because of his perimeter skills may cause opposing 4s headaches on offense....

But as a sf the advantages become thin.... He can overpower sfs but that is not really his game. On defense for a sf versatality, perimeter D are important today.  Again not his biggest strongsuit

« Reply #349 on: March 23, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Jackson looks huge, like Durant size. His fro probably helps him seem a bit bigger, but he looks like he has legit size for a wing in the NBA.

I do not like his shot, though. He seems to dip the ball even more than Smart, which is problematic for long-term efficiency.

« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Jackson looks huge, like Durant size. His fro probably helps him seem a bit bigger, but he looks like he has legit size for a wing in the NBA.

I do not like his shot, though. He seems to dip the ball even more than Smart, which is problematic for long-term efficiency.

Jackson nowhere close to Durant's height.

« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2017, 11:49:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think come the combine tatum will impress.... Either an inch taller, longer wingspan or reach ... Or all the above. His ability to stretch as a 4 will be nice.... So he doesnt giveup much at the defensive end and also because of his perimeter skills may cause opposing 4s headaches on offense....

But as a sf the advantages become thin.... He can overpower sfs but that is not really his game. On defense for a sf versatality, perimeter D are important today.  Again not his biggest strongsuit

I'm a Jackson fan too, but like Tatum if we fall to 4. He has a Peirce feel too him. Not saying as good, who knows, but a guy not super athletic, but good foot work, who can work the post and bang inside.

I could see Jackson playing the two(yes BS doesn't have positions), but he seems smooth and quick enough like PG13 to play the off guard, and Brown will be better suited long term at the SF and be that hard nose driver like Butler....

If we don't trade our pick and sign Hayward, having Brown and Jackson off the bench with Smart is one defensive nightmare for the opposing teams bench.

« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2017, 01:07:35 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

plus he has really short arms for his height.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:27 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I'm a Jackson fan too, but like Tatum if we fall to 4. He has a Peirce feel too him. Not saying as good, who knows, but a guy not super athletic, but good foot work, who can work the post and bang inside.

I could see Jackson playing the two(yes BS doesn't have positions), but he seems smooth and quick enough like PG13 to play the off guard, and Brown will be better suited long term at the SF and be that hard nose driver like Butler....

If we don't trade our pick and sign Hayward, having Brown and Jackson off the bench with Smart is one defensive nightmare for the opposing teams bench.
I think Jackson will be best suited at the 2 out of the gate. His quickness and fluidity make that a nice fit. Hes no where near strong enough to play the 4 right now on a regular basis.

To use Brad's position lingo, both Brown and Jackson should be wings.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2017, 01:10:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No he doesn't.  He doesn't have long arms, but his wingspan is still greater than his height.  That said, he's nothing like Durant in terms of size.  That's confusing him with Jonathan Isaac.

« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

No he doesn't.  He doesn't have long arms, but his wingspan is still greater than his height.  That said, he's nothing like Durant in terms of size.  That's confusing him with Jonathan Isaac.
I had heard that his wingspan was somewhat troubling and would prevent him from ever playing the 4.

Turns out thats not quite right. Instead his thin frame should prevent him from playing the 4.

« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think Jackson will be best suited at the 2 out of the gate. His quickness and fluidity make that a nice fit. Hes no where near strong enough to play the 4 right now on a regular basis.

To use Brad's position lingo, both Brown and Jackson should be wings.

Jackson is a wing, but long-term Brown is a swing.  That 7-foot wingspan and strong frame will let him guard the 4 as he gains more experience.

« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2017, 02:15:29 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

According to DraftExpress his measurements are 6'7.8" in shoes and 6'9.8" wingspan...this isn't short at all.

« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:15 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Barkley said Jackson plays like a free safety. He's athletic enough to double everyone.