Author Topic: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)  (Read 87642 times)

Re: Josh Jackson Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jaylen's lateral agility, especially his eurosteps, are the thing that set him apart as an athlete. Few players in the NBA have that raw ability. Jackson has good agility, but not at Jaylen's elite level. 

I think Jaylen is more explosive off of one feet that Jackson too. Although Jackson is a little more explosive off of two feet. Jaylen's wingspan is better than Jackson's, too.

Jaylen's form wasn't broken like Jackson's, who, unless he removes the hitch, will probably struggle with consistency. His free throw percentage is the best indication that he will struggle with shooting in the pros.

Jackson has good court vision, but it's not like Jaylen didn't have pretty good court vision in his own right (2 apg).

All in all, I don't think you can say "No doubt" that Jackson is a better prospect than Jaylen last year. I think I'd still rather have Jaylen.
I dont think there is any doubt.

The Chad Ford Tier system is flawed but on Jan 20th (prior to Jackson going 8/14 from 3 and having a signature performance against Kentucky) Jackson was a consensus 2nd tier player.

Brown was 3rd tier with some votes in the 4th tier.

Jackson is a better prospect.

Meh.

I just did several comparisons of them as players that showed they are at least comparable.

And you site Chad Ford.

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Jaylen's lateral agility, especially his eurosteps, are the thing that set him apart as an athlete. Few players in the NBA have that raw ability. Jackson has good agility, but not at Jaylen's elite level. 

I think Jaylen is more explosive off of one feet that Jackson too. Although Jackson is a little more explosive off of two feet. Jaylen's wingspan is better than Jackson's, too.

Jaylen's form wasn't broken like Jackson's, who, unless he removes the hitch, will probably struggle with consistency. His free throw percentage is the best indication that he will struggle with shooting in the pros.

Jackson has good court vision, but it's not like Jaylen didn't have pretty good court vision in his own right (2 apg).

All in all, I don't think you can say "No doubt" that Jackson is a better prospect than Jaylen last year. I think I'd still rather have Jaylen.

The Chad Ford Tier system is flawed but on Jan 20th (prior to Jackson going 8/14 from 3 and having a signature performance against Kentucky) Jackson was a consensus 2nd tier player.

Yeah and how are those tiers working out in regards to Brown? I would say not well.

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Jaylen is not a bad passer but Jackon have an amazing court vision for a forward. His passing and court vision alone separates him from the likes of Winslow, Johnson and MKG. He also have the quick first-step that these guys lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaP4QCK1pZs

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Meh.

I just did several comparisons of them as players that showed they are at least comparable.

And you site Chad Ford.
Ford surveys league execs and asks for their takes on the players. He has the place each player in a tier.

Now its possible that Ford doesnt actually do this and is lying, but none of the tiers take into account Fords actual scouting ability. Its why the tier system is valuable.

I like Brown but jackson is seen as a superior prospect.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:28:31 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Yeah and how are those tiers working out in regards to Brown? I would say not well.
I think they underrated him, but that doesnt make him a better prospect than Jackson. I think Jackson is the better prospect and outside of a Celtics fan blog I really dont think that would be a controversial opinion.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jackson is better because compare their 1st years in college..

Jackson is a leader.... Brown is a weapon

Jackson understands how to use the floor/teammates almost like how a pg thinks vs Brown who plays a more simplier/instictive game

Jackson would be a tremendous addition for the current Celtics core. He immediately helps with rebounding, ball handling duties, passing and makes the Celts team more explosive.

Instead of IT4 dancing around with the ball alot of the times, Jackson will be able to relieve the pressure and take on the pg duties or find a way to score on his own.  I can see lots of Jackson to IT4 kickouts as well. Jackson to Horford drop offs. Jackson to AB/Crowder/KO for the 3. Jackson to Brown for alley hoops... I would love to see this

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:36 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
https://theringer.com/josh-jacksons-achilles-heel-will-keep-him-from-going-no-1-3ed0b79a4768#.xim2wuiwj

Good article, but the stats are a month old.  His 3 point shooting is up to 32%, FT still stuck around 55%.  Like so many athletic prospects, how he shoots will determine how good a player he is.

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://theringer.com/josh-jacksons-achilles-heel-will-keep-him-from-going-no-1-3ed0b79a4768#.xim2wuiwj

Good article, but the stats are a month old.  His 3 point shooting is up to 32%, FT still stuck around 55%.  Like so many athletic prospects, how he shoots will determine how good a player he is.

If he keeps shooting the ball the way he has been lately, he will be fine

He needs to make teams pay for sagging off of him (which they are doing more of)

You slow down Jackson/have him hit the wall with his jump shot you have a better chance to win

Re: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

in the 48 hours leading up to the blue-blood battle, it seemed like everyone was resigned to the inevitability that Edrice "Bam" Adebayo would have his way with a depleted Jayhawks frontcourt. The only unknown was how dominant his double-double would be in front of scouts from what Fox Sports' Aaron Torres estimated as 25 NBA teams

In Adebayo's place, it was Kansas' de facto power forward who balled out in his audition for the pros, as Jackson finished with 20 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and two steals—including what was effectively a game-sealing putback layup with just over a minute remaining.

Hope one was a Celtics representative

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
in the 48 hours leading up to the blue-blood battle, it seemed like everyone was resigned to the inevitability that Edrice "Bam" Adebayo would have his way with a depleted Jayhawks frontcourt. The only unknown was how dominant his double-double would be in front of scouts from what Fox Sports' Aaron Torres estimated as 25 NBA teams

In Adebayo's place, it was Kansas' de facto power forward who balled out in his audition for the pros, as Jackson finished with 20 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and two steals—including what was effectively a game-sealing putback layup with just over a minute remaining.

Hope one was a Celtics representative
you can bet The Celtics had a few guys at a game with Monk and Jackson.

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Darius Miles without baggage? Good prospect. Miles was a good passer, and willing (but woeful) shooter like Jackson.

That's a pretty good prospect.

Or, if he is as good of a ball-handler as some on here think, what about Evan Turner comparison?

Edit: Josh Smith? Gerald Wallace?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:26:59 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Darius Miles without baggage? Good prospect. Miles was a good passer, and willing (but woeful) shooter like Jackson.

That's a pretty good prospect.

Or, if he is as good of a ball-handler as some on here think, what about Evan Turner comparison?

Edit: Josh Smith? Gerald Wallace?

None of those guys.. jackson handles the ball better than all listed

I still say a poor man Lebron comparison describes best

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I see Jackson as an athletic Evan Turner. And an athletic version of Turner is an All-Star caliber talent. So is Gerald Wallace in his prime. I'll take those at top 3 pick anytime.

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I see Jackson as an athletic Evan Turner. And an athletic version of Turner is an All-Star caliber talent. So is Gerald Wallace in his prime. I'll take those at top 3 pick anytime.

Turner handles are loose. He cant make it all the way to the basket majority of the time.

He cant protect the rim. And only is an average rebounder

If anything Turner is more like a sg

I think a more intense smarter Michael Beasley comparison might work... Then again Beasley is a better shooter

The only two forwards I can recently think of that are multi talented, handles, passing, bbiq, explosiveness, (cant shoot) are Lebron and Simmons...

Simmons committment on the defensive end is questionable though