Author Topic: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)  (Read 88340 times)

Re: Josh Jackson Thread (Merged)
« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Saltlover has convinced me that Danny wants Fultz which I get, because he has the greatest ability to create his own shot.

He has taken plenty of guys who can't create their own shot like Smart, whom I love, but an NBA step he does not have.  KO has struggled to get his shot off at times.   He has taken guys who do not shoot well, like Sully or Smart (Now Smart affects a game in so many other ways).  So I would not think it is a given that he will pick a guy who can get his own shot but we do need offensive help.

« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Saltlover has convinced me that Danny wants Fultz which I get, because he has the greatest ability to create his own shot.

He has taken plenty of guys who can't create their own shot like Smart, whom I love, but an NBA step he does not have.  KO has struggled to get his shot off at times.   He has taken guys who do not shoot well, like Sully or Smart (Now Smart affects a game in so many other ways).  So I would not think it is a given that he will pick a guy who can get his own shot but we do need offensive help.

Guys like that are hard to find especially in the middle of rounds. He had repeatedly made clear how much he would like another guy like that.

« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Saltlover has convinced me that Danny wants Fultz which I get, because he has the greatest ability to create his own shot. But still a huge fan of Jackson, think he would fit right into our team team. Either one of those two guys could fit into our team roster. Ball is an incredible talent but we may have to move pieces for him to fit, especially IT. I don't see that happening.

And Jackson can't create his own shot? 

« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm no expert on college games .  I ve watched Fultz some tho , and have been watching video of Ball and Jackson highlights.

I wonder ....WHO gets the boot if Jackson is the Celtics pick.   He sounds like a Celtic type player . Big motor .  Seems he d create a log jam at SF

What happens to Crowder , who is on a great contract , or Brown who has scary good athletic skills and now a lot of serious NBA minutes on the court under his belt.

It seems hard to imagine Celtics don't land one of either....Ball, Jackson or Fultz with Nets pick.

Will be interesting to see WHO Danny and CBS thinks will help the most.

« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Saltlover has convinced me that Danny wants Fultz which I get, because he has the greatest ability to create his own shot. But still a huge fan of Jackson, think he would fit right into our team team. Either one of those two guys could fit into our team roster. Ball is an incredible talent but we may have to move pieces for him to fit, especially IT. I don't see that happening.

And Jackson can't create his own shot?

Well, yeah, but it doesn't go in as much LOL.

« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Weird draft class in that all 3 top prospects have non-basketball potential risks.

I get the feeling that even if we land the 1st pick, Ainge could do something weird like taking Isaac or Tatum.

It would be easier to talk me into taking Isaac at 1 now, than talking me into taking Jaylen at 3 last year...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'm no expert on college games .  I ve watched Fultz some tho , and have been watching video of Ball and Jackson highlights.

I wonder ....WHO gets the boot if Jackson is the Celtics pick.   He sounds like a Celtic type player . Big motor .  Seems he d create a log jam at SF

What happens to Crowder , who is on a great contract , or Brown who has scary good athletic skills and now a lot of serious NBA minutes on the court under his belt.

It seems hard to imagine Celtics don't land one of either....Ball, Jackson or Fultz with Nets pick.

Will be interesting to see WHO Danny and CBS thinks will help the most.

Good post.....the other factor here is Hayward, which makes your question even more interesting.

I hate to say it (because he is my favorite Celtic and the final connection to the PP/KG years) but it's got to be Avery who has to go, both contractually and positionally.

Fultz, IT, Smart, Brown and Haywood could all play the 2. And if it's Jackson, both he and Crowder can play the 3/4, with Brown and Hayward at the 2/3. If it's Ball, IT can play off the ball like he does. with Smart. If it's Tatum, same as Jackson, he's a 3/4 with Crowder.

I apologize for repeating this over and over, but the fact that we will get one of Fultz, Ball, Jackson or Tatum is a phenomenal situation to be in.

« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I feel the need to correct (or at least challenge) an assumption about Jackson's role on the Celtics with Jaylen Brown also here.  Generally people seem to assume Jaylen will be the 2/3 and Jackson the 3/4.  I think that's backwards.  While Jackson is taller in terms of pure height, Jaylen is both longer in terms of reach, and thicker in terms of weight.  He will be the 3/4, and Jackson the 2/3.

« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I feel the need to correct (or at least challenge) an assumption about Jackson's role on the Celtics with Jaylen Brown also here.  Generally people seem to assume Jaylen will be the 2/3 and Jackson the 3/4.  I think that's backwards.  While Jackson is taller in terms of pure height, Jaylen is both longer in terms of reach, and thicker in terms of weight.  He will be the 3/4, and Jackson the 2/3.

Good post, salt, and the numbers do back you up. 20lbs heavier, 2" longer wingspan, 3" longer standing reach. The feel/eye tests don't convince me though.

Watching them both in college a pretty fair amount, Jaylen looked and felt like a 2/3 and Jackson a 3/4 ( although Stevens'  position-less 🏀 with swings and wings and things almost makes our discussion and classification of these players moot, albeit interesting and enjoyable).

Jaylen for Cal, both on O and D, was on the perimeter almost exclusively (that coach's offense especially was pretty unimaginative) where he either shot 3s or drive to the hoop and guarded the other team's 2s and 3s. Jackson is under the hoop far more on D. He seems to have the mindset of a rim protector and is more aggressive rebounding the ball. On O he has been on the perimeter more in the past month because he has been shooting the 3 much better, but his bread and butter is being aggressive on the O glass keeping balls alive and posting up more than Jaylen. At least that's how it looks to me and feels.

All I know is that both of them love to go coast to coast......quickly......JB the better shooter and JJ the master passer. I'd love to see them play together for us pushing the ball like that....that would be something!

« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I bet Jackson has a longer reach... I wouldnt be surprised by the combine he is 6'8.5 or 6'9

Jackson is willing to stick his nose under the basket more to grab rebounds/alter shots vs Brown...which makes him more of 3/4 vs 2/3 imo

« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I bet Jackson has a longer reach... I wouldnt be surprised by the combine he is 6'8.5 or 6'9

Jackson is willing to stick his nose under the basket more to grab rebounds/alter shots vs Brown...which makes him more of 3/4 vs 2/3 imo

Well considering that Josh Jackson is what.....less than 2 months younger than Brown, if we assume one is still growing, we can assume that of the other one is also, or vice versa. The fact of the matter is that while he is taller than Brown by roughly an inch, Brown's wingspan is utterly elite (+5,) while Jackson's is only meh (+a little under 2). Also brown is a lot beefier than Jackson, so I agree with your assessment of positioning, but lets wait until the combine until we just start magically adding height to players. I am going to call BS that you can spot when a player has grown half an inch. I respect you, but that is absurd haha.

*the + stat refers to wingspan length above height
#JKJB

« Reply #281 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Watching Jackson play, he plays a lot at the 4 position, and seems to do real well. Hits the boards a lot, defends bigger guys well, just seems to fit that 3/4 position physically more than Jaylen would.  The fact that we can debate it underscores the nice interchangeability having players like Jaylen, Jackson (if drafted) or even Hayward (if signed as FA) would provide us, not to mention Smart and even Crowder.  Especially on defense, where we rely alot on switching. Brad's defensive system is really a hybrid zone and man, given the great extent guys switch on picks.  Having hybrid players like this are a real asset. 

« Reply #282 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Per NBC Sports:

Kansas suspended the freshman for its Big 12 tournament opener after receiving three citations for a hit-and-run. He was already facing a misdemeanor property-damage charge for allegedly damaging the car of Kansas women’s basketball player who was previously found to be the victim of domestic violence by one of Jackson’s teammates.

I think I'm still interested in him!
i may be mistaken, but i think i read that the hit-and-run involved backing up into another car, then driving away without leaving a note.

I'm not worried. Given the ease of parking in Boston, never mind the kindness and consideration of Boston drivers, particularly in heavy traffic, there's no way a new guy to the city could have trouble driving here.

Mike

« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Per NBC Sports:

Kansas suspended the freshman for its Big 12 tournament opener after receiving three citations for a hit-and-run. He was already facing a misdemeanor property-damage charge for allegedly damaging the car of Kansas women’s basketball player who was previously found to be the victim of domestic violence by one of Jackson’s teammates.

i may be mistaken, but i think i read that the hit-and-run involved backing up into another car, then driving away without leaving a note.

I'm not worried. Given the ease of parking in Boston, never mind the kindness and consideration of Boston drivers, particularly in heavy traffic, there's no way a new guy to the city could have trouble driving here.

Mike
Haha, TP.

Hopefully Jackson would hire a driver so he didn't have to worry about any of the Boston streets. I agree that if you can't avoid accidents in Kansas, you don't have a prayer in Boston.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Per NBC Sports:

Mike

TP made my day. LOL