Author Topic: NBA draft should be Chess not Checkers  (Read 1407 times)

NBA draft should be Chess not Checkers
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just a quick thought,

With all this Josh Jackson non sense we need to as fans look back at DAs history with draft rumors. Last season the media was all in or Dunn to Celtics. Year before Rozier was a surprise pick. Smart was never mentioned any more than Grodon or Randle. The worst of all DA hyped Giannis when he really wanted KO.

The Celtics do not leak information they hold their cards tight and try to manipulate other teams. Other teams through leaked promises or preferred prospects can find them selves at a disadvantage.

A prime example of this would be the Kings with Fox. I hope for the sake of Kings fans that they are not in fact this high on fox and they are simply trying to gauge the cost to move up for Jackson or Ball. If the Kings really want Fox this bad and everyone knows it they loose all leverage in a trade.

Here is a theory,

Cs are set on taking Fultz.
The Cs have a front office that is very close with the Suns.
The Suns would love to see Ball slide to them at #4.
DA creates buzz on Jackson going #1 knowing that the Lakers or stuck between Jackson and Ball.
Jackson instantly has an uptick in his perceived value.
The Suns make it be known that they like fox and will take him at #4
The Kings are worried at 5 they can miss out on Fox and Ball and try to trade up with the 76ers
The 76ers use this to fleece the kings out of #5 and #10
On draft night Cs get Fultz, Lakers take Jackson, Kings take Fox, and Ball who hasn't worked out for any team other then Lakers or supplied medicals slips to the Suns at #4
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: NBA draft should be Chess not Checkers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
As far as conspiracy theories go, I like it! Maybe the plan is not quite so intricate, but I guess it's possible that Danny is throwing out smokescreens to help a buddy in another front office. It's not like it costs Danny anything, and improving relationships whenever possible is a good idea in his line of work.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think there's no need for chess when no one picks before you and you don't plan to trade the pick.

Ford's sources in the article are just other GMs talking about the kinds of players Danny likes and Jackson's agent. The only stuff from our front office is just some generic stuff about Jackson being a good player and we'll take who we want to take. 

A convoluted plan to manipulate the process on another team's behalf seems a lot less likely than just the usual need for reporters to pump out takes that get clicks as draft hype ramps up.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think there's no need for chess when no one picks before you and you don't plan to trade the pick.

Ford's sources in the article are just other GMs talking about the kinds of players Danny likes and Jackson's agent. The only stuff from our front office is just some generic stuff about Jackson being a good player and we'll take who we want to take. 

A convoluted plan to manipulate the process on another team's behalf seems a lot less likely than just the usual need for reporters to pump out takes that get clicks as draft hype ramps up.

I will agree that the Jackson hype is likely just media needing things to talk about. I believe Fords report that 1 GM suggested this to him not multiple.

While this year it doesn't really matter how the Cs handle the process my point was thats its better practice to hold this close to your chest rather then running around telling your competition who you want. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet