1 (2.2%)
Monk
0 (0%)
Fox
2 (4.4%)
Isaac
14 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Poll: What prospect fits our team Best 2017  (Read 10403 times)

Re: Poll: What prospect fits our team Best 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Ball and Jackson seem to be the 2nd and 3rd best prospects to me, but the question here is fit.

That also rules out Fox, Monk, and Smith Jr. Tatum is too one-dimensional.

Isaac fits best.

I think Jackson and Ball are the two guys Id want to pick. If I had to make that call today. Im going Ball, if Jackson can prove his recent 3 point shooting is for real, I think I might go Jackson.

Wait why is Tatum one dimensional?
Cant shoot threes or pass. Its also my understanding that he doesnt project as a good rebounder or defender and hes not particularly athletic.

I wouldnt classify him as a playmaker but he can pass. He is more scorer than anything. iM not sure about his abilty to not hit them. I wouldnt look at any shooting numbers this year and make definitive statements. He will be an above average rebounder and defender.

Im not saying he is Pierce but would you not take Pierce today based on some of these same qualities?
I stand by saying he is 1-dimensional. He scores from inside the 3 point line. I like him a lot.

However, if you arent a good passer, you cant shoot threes, and you dont project good defender, I dont think you fit too well.

So you wouldnt take DeRozen on this team? He doesnt take many 3 at all. Is just an average passer and defender.

And im not sure what games entail your scouting report of him but if you are just looking at Duke games your missing a great deal of the picture.
Look, I answered the question. the question of best fit. I think Tatums shortcomings as a 3 point shooter and a passer make him a poor fit compared to Isaac who is a better rebounder and shooter.

Isaac also sucks at passing, but thats OK because he can shoot and helps address rebounding and size issues.

Id also posit that Derozan is 1-dimensional and wouldnt be a great fit here. Would I take him? would he help us? absolutely, but would he fit with what we want to do better than a 6'11 player who can rebound, block shots and hit 3s? nope.

What does he offere that Jerebko doesnt already? Both guys arent physical players. both shoot from range. Both move wel without the ball. Isaac is thin as hell with skinny hips. Im not saying that he doesnt have more potential than Jerebko but their skills arent that much different.

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 12:03:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Patton

Patton with the Nets pick would take some serious sack. You sure you ready to make that call.

Question is best fit. Starting lineup needs a big man. Patton is the best big man.

Edit: I don't see a clear #2 in this draft yet. I do have Patton in the mix for that pick along with Dennis Smith Jr, Isaac, Tatum, Josh Jackson (who is growing on me). Not convinced by Ball either as I have stated in the past. Monk and Fox in the 5-10 range.

I really like Patton. I think he has got a lot of talent. I don't think he is franchise player but not sure the others are either (Dennis Smith Jr?).

Who, have you watched UCLA play this year?

Ball is such an excellent player IMO. Would elevate our team from day 1. Can't say that about many players.

Yes. He is a brilliant college player. Best player in college. Better than Fultz.

Not sure he will be as good in the NBA. My main concern is how often (rarely) Ball drives in the halfcourt and gets into the lane / to the basket. I am not convinced you can be a top level PG in today's league without that characteristic to your game.

I like Ball but I like him in the 5-10 range. Not sold him in the top 5 yet.

He shoots like 65% at the rim. The question is can we just get him going to the rim more.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 12:18:11 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ball and Jackson seem to be the 2nd and 3rd best prospects to me, but the question here is fit.

Isaac fits best.

I think Jackson and Ball are the two guys Id want to pick. If I had to make that call today. Im going Ball, if Jackson can prove his recent 3 point shooting is for real, I think I might go Jackson.

Cant shoot threes or pass. Its also my understanding that he doesnt project as a good rebounder or defender and hes not particularly athletic.

I wouldnt classify him as a playmaker but he can pass. He is more scorer than anything. iM not sure about his abilty to not hit them. I wouldnt look at any shooting numbers this year and make definitive statements. He will be an above average rebounder and defender.

Im not saying he is Pierce but would you not take Pierce today based on some of these same qualities?
I stand by saying he is 1-dimensional. He scores from inside the 3 point line. I like him a lot.

However, if you arent a good passer, you cant shoot threes, and you dont project good defender, I dont think you fit too well.

So you wouldnt take DeRozen on this team? He doesnt take many 3 at all. Is just an average passer and defender.

And im not sure what games entail your scouting report of him but if you are just looking at Duke games your missing a great deal of the picture.
Look, I answered the question. the question of best fit. I think Tatums shortcomings as a 3 point shooter and a passer make him a poor fit compared to Isaac who is a better rebounder and shooter.

Isaac also sucks at passing, but thats OK because he can shoot and helps address rebounding and size issues.

Id also posit that Derozan is 1-dimensional and wouldnt be a great fit here. Would I take him? would he help us? absolutely, but would he fit with what we want to do better than a 6'11 player who can rebound, block shots and hit 3s? nope.

What does he offere that Jerebko doesnt already? Both guys arent physical players. both shoot from range. Both move wel without the ball. Isaac is thin as hell with skinny hips. Im not saying that he doesnt have more potential than Jerebko but their skills arent that much different.
I think hes better as a shot blocker and defensive rebounder. Hes also a better athlete. More importantly, I think a rich-mans Jerebko(a pretty pessismistic evaluation of Isaac) is a great fit in Boston.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 01:23:15 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Isaac fits best.

I think hes better as a shot blocker and defensive rebounder. Hes also a better athlete. More importantly, I think a rich-mans Jerebko(a pretty pessismistic evaluation of Isaac) is a great fit in Boston.

Does he grab boards in traffic? Is he not a finesse player? Yes he blocks shots but he isnt a guy that can play the 4 full time. He has alot of tools that can lead to a very high level player but by no means do I see him as the answer at the 4 because I dont think he can defend that position.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:52 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Isaac fits best.

Does he grab boards in traffic? Is he not a finesse player? Yes he blocks shots but he isnt a guy that can play the 4 full time. He has alot of tools that can lead to a very high level player but by no means do I see him as the answer at the 4 because I dont think he can defend that position.
But what kind of player is a 4 these days? A few years ago guys like Monroe and Randolph were considered optimal 4s, but now the league us going towards guys like Winslow, Randle, and Crowder to play that position. (all guys that would have been considered strictly 3s a few years ago) With this in mind, is it unreasonable to think Isaac can guard the 4 two years from now?

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Ball lack of driving in to the basket in half court also worries me.  He is like living out on the perimeter or wants to finish off alleys... Its weird

Ball would fit better on a team like the 76ers bc of Embiid

Fultz struggled today vs Arizona. He was defended well... We need to focus on these high school stars ability to excel against big name schools vs pounding on weaker competition. One thing I dont like about Fultz sometimes is how he falls in love with the jump shot/perimeter .. He should drive in more or grab the rebound and jump start the fastbreak. But he doesnt ..could be a bit more aggressive

And this is why Im a huge fan of Jackson.. what an intense prospect. What a game vs Kentucky. He carried Kansas to the win. Like Bilas said, he came to play tonight... Scouts everywhere and it didnt phase him

I also like the intensity Isaac plays with... Nice unblockable looking jump shot. A little worried that he is hesistant to drive in and make it all the way to the basket.

At the moment Jackson would be my target

i guess the question is did you learn anything new about his game that you didnt know before? I think you can see that in any game.

I think that I saw that he struggled against a high caliber athlete like Allen.  Assuming you're talking about Fultz here.

If you want to apply that to Jackson, I'd say we saw him shoot better and play at a very high level against the highest level of competition.  Always good to keep in mind that it's one game though.  I saw LSU against Kentucky last year and Tim Quarterman was the best player on the floor.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:15:12 AM by chilidawg »

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ball lack of driving in to the basket in half court also worries me.  He is like living out on the perimeter or wants to finish off alleys... Its weird

Ball would fit better on a team like the 76ers bc of Embiid

Fultz struggled today vs Arizona. He was defended well... We need to focus on these high school stars ability to excel against big name schools vs pounding on weaker competition. One thing I dont like about Fultz sometimes is how he falls in love with the jump shot/perimeter .. He should drive in more or grab the rebound and jump start the fastbreak. But he doesnt ..could be a bit more aggressive

And this is why Im a huge fan of Jackson.. what an intense prospect. What a game vs Kentucky. He carried Kansas to the win. Like Bilas said, he came to play tonight... Scouts everywhere and it didnt phase him

I also like the intensity Isaac plays with... Nice unblockable looking jump shot. A little worried that he is hesistant to drive in and make it all the way to the basket.

At the moment Jackson would be my target

i guess the question is did you learn anything new about his game that you didnt know before? I think you can see that in any game.

I think that I saw that he struggles against high caliber athletes like Allen.  Assuming you're talking about Fultz here.

If you want to apply that to Jackson, I'd say we saw him shoot better and play at a very high level against the highest level of competition.  Always good to keep in mind that it's one game though.  I saw LSU against Kentucky last year and Tim Quarterman was the best player on the floor.

Jackson also played well vs the win over Duke

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With Tatum and Giles playing garbage ball plus potential health concern for Isaac  it looks like the draft is "tightening" up

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:47:37 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Literally ANY of the guards seem like good gambles at the #1-#4 selection, especially with our contract situations at the backcourt spots. I want to give Zizic and Yabu a chance to beef up our frontcourt next season, but at #3-#4, I wouldn't be too upset taking a flier on Josh Jackson as a swingman, and I am still very high on Jonathan Isaac. Lauri Markkanen and Harry Giles could be good gambles at #4 too.

The best possible fit : an NBA ready Lonzo Ball

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Edit: I am an idiot and forgot Fultz was off the board. I guess the best pick would be a Isaac or Ball if either one was like 15 pounds heavier and NBA ready. Isaac could play the 4 with weight, or Ball could play off the bench behind IT. If we stuck him at the 2, I feel like his strengths wouldn't be utilized as if he was a 1.
#JKJB

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Isaac fits best.

But what kind of player is a 4 these days? A few years ago guys like Monroe and Randolph were considered optimal 4s, but now the league us going towards guys like Winslow, Randle, and Crowder to play that position. (all guys that would have been considered strictly 3s a few years ago) With this in mind, is it unreasonable to think Isaac can guard the 4 two years from now?

Well lets take a look at this. Im not sure Winslow plays there full time. If he does he has a top 5 rebounder next to him. Randle is a horrible defender but can rebound at a high level in traffic. Crowder plays there as a small ball player which is what I view Isaac as. I say this because Im not sure his frame is built to play there on a full time basis especially since his mentality is to play small.

All in all I have more concerns about him than I do many of the other players that have been mentioned. I dont see the problems that he solves like many others do.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like Jackson the most at 2. His jump shot isn't great but the current roster has plenty of shooting. What this team currently needs is defense and that is something Jackson can provide.

Plus he's probably the best athlete in the draft.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like Jackson the most at 2. His jump shot isn't great but the current roster has plenty of shooting. What this team currently needs is defense and that is something Jackson can provide.

Plus he's probably the best athlete in the draft.

Me too.  I think longterm he'll be more impactful than Ball.  Love Ball but Jackson brings multiple dimensions.  If Jackson continues to shoot well form outside I might move him ahead of Fultz, but for now Fultz still #1. 

1. Fultz
2. Jackson
3. Ball
4. DSJ

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
If it's fit over bpa... I'd have to go with Isaac or Monk.

Isaac looks like he could become the stretch 4 we need and be able to play next to Brown. A Smart/Monk future backcourt sounds like it could be scary good. They complement each other so well. Smart is a big PG while Monk is a smaller combo guard, it lets Smart be able to always guard the biggest guard. Monk is a lights out shooter. Smart is a better distributor. Both can handle the ball. Both seem like a strong "fit".

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If it's fit over bpa... I'd have to go with Issac or Monk.

Issac looks like he could become the stretch 4 we need and be able to play next to Brown. A Smart/Monk future backcourt sounds like it could be scary good. They complement each other so well. Smart is a big PG while Monk is a smaller combo guard, it lets Smart be able to always guard the biggest guard. Monk is a lights out shooter. Smart is a better distributor. Both can handle the ball. Both seem like a strong "fit".

I'm surprised Monk was not mentioned more. He has been one of my favorite College players. Real big time confidence on that kid, likes to put on a show.

He could be a J.R. Smith type of offensive player, or best case a much more nightmarish Monta Ellis