Author Topic: Washburn: Celtics Unlikely To Add Larry Sanders  (Read 17156 times)

Re: Washburn: Celtics Unlikely To Add Larry Sanders
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Maybe he does not trust him influencing the kids.

With our team culture with guys who will kick his ass if he becomes divisive, plus us just being able to cut him if we get even a sniff of him being disruptive, he is classic low risk, high reward as many  on this in the other thread have mentioned many times.

I just hope that it isnt Stevens undue influence on Ainge. He doesn't fit the Stevens mold. Can't shoot nor facilitate the offense and he could be a disciplinary concern, and the two skills that we desperately need (and many of us want), rebounding and blocking shots, aren't that important to Stevens. Those are not his priorities.

That's why I (and I really hope I'm wrong) don't think that you'll ever see Sanders, Noel, Monroe, Faried, Cousins in green.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/01/28/notebook-celtics-unlikely-add-larry-sanders/MaTsscdfa4Dplm0XpY7vEK/story.html

Low risk, high reward guy who could be had for dirt cheap and fills a need.

But nope, we won't even take a chance on him, because god forbid James Young loses playing time as a result ::)

They took a chance with him. They worked him out. If they say he is not ready, then I guess he really is not. Time to move on and find another target.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I m not all sure about Danny's big man IQ .   He brought good known players like KG and Shaq.  Maybe Danny thinks there is more value in so,e other deals .

He got a first hand look .   Something was not to his liking ?  Obviously he is not going to tell us what was the issues
.........mane he thinks the price to sign him is too high .

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 11:15:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

With our team culture with guys who will kick his ass if he becomes divisive, plus us just being able to cut him if we get even a sniff of him being disruptive, he is classic low risk, high reward as many  on this in the other thread have mentioned many times.

I just hope that it isnt Stevens undue influence on Ainge. He doesn't fit the Stevens mold. Can't shoot nor facilitate the offense and he could be a disciplinary concern, and the two skills that we desperately need (and many of us want), rebounding and blocking shots, aren't that important to Stevens. Those are not his priorities.

That's why I (and I really hope I'm wrong) don't think that you'll ever see Sanders, Noel, Monroe, Faried, Cousins in green.

Cousins, and to a lesser extent Monroe, can certainly shoot and facilitate the offense, but there may be other reasons not to trade for them.  My personal view is that Monroe would be a great pick up who may be available at a reasonable cost (bench players/non brooklyn picks)

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He probably couldnt' hit a 3 pt shot

Danny won't add a big man that can't hit the 3...

He probably can't hit a 2 point shot either or a free throw.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 11:29:57 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
This is our same idiot gm that nearly ****ing signed javale McGee last year?  I'm done.  Time to find a new team to cheer for until ainge and company get serious about bringing a contender to Boston and not play chess every year.  Disgusting

Jeeze... The guy hasn't played meaningful basketball in four years and retired from the NBA two years ago to smoke pot...

Don't you think there's a chance that he legitimately might not be an NBA caliber player anymore?

Well apparently our brilliant gm didn't think so and bothered to work him out.  Surely if those were prequesites someone getting paid to actually know talent woulda thought about that ::)
Of course it is possible that sanders did poorly in the work out.

No it isn't. I mean it's not like we weren't there watching the workout and Danny was. It's abundantly clear to me that since the Celtics worked him out, Larry Sanders is 100% the EXACT same player he was with the Bucks before he went insane. How could Danny not see what we can all clearly see without any of us actually seeing how he did at the workout?

If there's one thing I can be certain of, it's that I know more than Danny Ainge does about players even if I haven't actually watched them.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm a bit disappointed. Sanders had me intrigued.

That said, he was more of an interesting guy that we would have added during the Big Three Era: someone who might have gotten you from Game 6 of the NBA Finals to a Championship. But Sanders likely isn't someone who was going to take the C's from the 2nd round to Banner #18.

So with that in mind, Ainge might have preferred to hang onto his young assets for now. I'm not sure James Young really is one (though I had drinks with a Sixers fan tonight who thought he could be the centerpiece of an Okafor trade, so who knows...), but I can't horribly fault Danny if he truly passes on Sanders.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
At least this is confirmation that Sanders did work out for us recently. Add that to rumors of talks for Vucevic, and that the Celtics had no interest in Melo because he doesn't help address our defense and rebounding, it looks like things are moving on the search for a big man upgrade.

Mannix just reported on CSNNE he thought the Celtics were best equipped to get Anthony for cheap--maybe at the deadline. I don't know if they would be interested.

Danny has a lot of options. Butler, Vucevic, Anthony, Noel..... It might boil down to who he can get for the cheapest.

Funny I had a thread on Vucevic that seems to have disappeared. He should be near the top of the list. Crowder could become expendable in a deal if Brown continues to show promise.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I would have loved to have seen us bring in Sanders, but to be more specific, I would have loved to see us bring in a version of Larry Sanders that is still a viable NBA player and would have a chance of actually helping the team rather than just riding the pine.  I'm not sure that that version of Larry Sanders exists anymore, though, and it sounds like Danny agrees
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
This is our same idiot gm that nearly ****ing signed javale McGee last year?  I'm done.  Time to find a new team to cheer for until ainge and company get serious about bringing a contender to Boston and not play chess every year.  Disgusting

Don't let the door hit your ass.

Plenty of other idiot GM's out there if Ainge is an idiot.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Good on the Celtics for doing their due diligence but I'm not surprised the C's don't want to cut anyone to bring in a player who hasn't played basketball in 2 years. Especially if Nerlens is still a possibility. I'd rather have Nerlens.

I wish the best for Sanders, though. I think he's an interesting guy.

Agree with this sentiment. Sanders is probably not ready to contribute to this team and we don't want to risk adding a guy who might think he's farther along than he is.

I was all for Sanders this week. Started thinking about how rare his skill set is and how it'd be tough to replicate from any player other than Nerle-... then it hit me, I'd just rather have Noel.

Realgm Radio just had 6'ers beat writer Derek Bodner on who is a guy I find fairly knowledgeable and he essentially says that for the 6'ers to resign Noel he would have to accept a 20-25 minute per game bench role where he wouldn't finish the game much of the time.

After an extremely rocky start to the season, it looked like Noel was going to get frozen out of the rotation and most likely traded by the deadline. Winning solves everything of course and Nerlens being given the opportunity to anchor that bench unit has put an end to any public griping.

Like Bodner said though, the guy who has Noel's spot currently will have it for the foreseeable future. Nerlens is going to want to go to a team that has dire need of his skillset and it's definitely looking like we and Portland are the 2 frontrunners. Bodner felt that we will most likely have to wait until the offseason and that Noel would require a sign and trade since the 6'ers would still be inclined to match any reasonable offer. Also funnily enough Bodner said that one position they could really seek to add is a defensive guard who can play off the ball with Simmons as the primary handler. Seems to make too much sense to ignore.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 12:01:23 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
that Sanders IG 'Boston what's good' wreaked of desperation and lack of professionalism you would want in a player. Why would a prospective player want to negotiate or put pressure on a prospective employer via social media. What can you expect from him once signed? Tweeter posts to his coach about why he cannot make practice?

Celtics dodged a bullet on this one.

He walked away from a great career did not appreciate it, just like his buddy the weed head football player that left and then tried to return to football when he turned broke. Why didn't the both of then realize that there aren't a lot of jobs out there that will pay you millions of dollars to do anything.

Oh yeah, the high///they probably believed the high is all they needed.

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Cousins, and to a lesser extent Monroe, can certainly shoot and facilitate the offense, but there may be other reasons not to trade for them.  My personal view is that Monroe would be a great pick up who may be available at a reasonable cost (bench players/non brooklyn picks)

Cousins' head, not his skills is why I think Stevens doesn't want him. He's worried he can't handle him....just my opinion....a moot one though as that whack job Ranadive will NEVER trade Cousins.

I've been on the Moose train for a long time. Danny never even asked him for a sit down when he was a FA, and I blame that on Ainge aguiescing to Stevens. Monroe is an old school center the type which Stevens thinks the NBA has passed by. He has said that in more than one article. In addition, Monroe's range doesn't extend to 3 which takes him out of Stevens' mold.

Stevens is looking for that mythical unicorn center with all the skills he is looking for with a great attitude and will be easy to handle that either isn't available or doesn't exist.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 12:24:21 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The brain is still maturing well into the late 20's....especially the prefrontal cortex. This is a part of the brain most responsible for higher level thinking, organizing and social behavior.

Could be that Larry's marijuana usage during these past few year has damaged parts of his developing brain and he doesn't have the same kinesthetic intelligence he used to have. It would probably take a lot more effort for Larry to regain his NBA level skills than a person of his ability who did not smoke.

Well, it's my theory anyway... If Larry truly wants to be an NBA player again he has to pay the price in training and self-discipline. There are no short cuts. I pray he is willing to pay the price and returns...hopefully, in a Celtic uniform. 

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 12:34:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am dumbfounded by some of the comments here that are raking Ainge over the coals for not signing Sanders. This is a guy that stop playing for his team for two years because he wanted to smoke pot. He admitted that playing basketball isnt as big a priority in his life as other things like art and smoking weed.

But the Cs brought him in anyway, gave him a workout and determined he currently isn't even good enough to beat out James Young for a spot on this team.

SMH at some posters here. Just clueless.