Author Topic: Washburn: Celtics Unlikely To Add Larry Sanders  (Read 17157 times)

Washburn: Celtics Unlikely To Add Larry Sanders
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/01/28/notebook-celtics-unlikely-add-larry-sanders/MaTsscdfa4Dplm0XpY7vEK/story.html

Low risk, high reward guy who could be had for dirt cheap and fills a need.

But nope, we won't even take a chance on him, because god forbid James Young loses playing time as a result ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Washburn: Celtics Unlikely To Add Larry Sanders
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:17 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Man, that's disappointing. I trust Ainge though, if they think Sanders looked cooked or too out of it to take a low risk signing , then I believe them.

Then again, they did pass on Birdman Andersen after a workout for similar reasons when KG and Pierce were still here, and then Birdman killed it in the playoffs for the Heat.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Good on the Celtics for doing their due diligence but I'm not surprised the C's don't want to cut anyone to bring in a player who hasn't played basketball in 2 years. Especially if Nerlens is still a possibility. I'd rather have Nerlens.

I wish the best for Sanders, though. I think he's an interesting guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Hopefully that means he's chasing another significant upgrade for our bigs rotation.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
At least this is confirmation that Sanders did work out for us recently. Add that to rumors of talks for Vucevic, and that the Celtics had no interest in Melo because he doesn't help address our defense and rebounding, it looks like things are moving on the search for a big man upgrade.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
This is our same idiot gm that nearly Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing signed javale McGee last year?  I'm done.  Time to find a new team to cheer for until ainge and company get serious about bringing a contender to Boston and not play chess every year.  Disgusting

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
This is our same idiot gm that nearly ****ing signed javale McGee last year?  I'm done.  Time to find a new team to cheer for until ainge and company get serious about bringing a contender to Boston and not play chess every year.  Disgusting

Well, as long as his solution is not the next Mikki Moore or Troy Murphy, we should be ok.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is our same idiot gm that nearly ****ing signed javale McGee last year?  I'm done.  Time to find a new team to cheer for until ainge and company get serious about bringing a contender to Boston and not play chess every year.  Disgusting

Jeeze... The guy hasn't played meaningful basketball in four years and retired from the NBA two years ago to smoke pot...

Don't you think there's a chance that he legitimately might not be an NBA caliber player anymore?

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:12 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Disappointing. The Celtics just cannot find starting-caliber centers. I've only been a C's fan since '08 and have yet to see a legit Center on the team since Perk. I've seen Old Shaq, Kristic, Erden, Big Baby, KG, Zeller, I've seen attempts at Iverson, Melo, Faverani, Milicic did JJJ play some center? like ugh!

One of these days!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Maybe Sanders didn't show much..... maybe.

He has been away from the game and has made some bad decisions in the past. Lot of reasons why he maybe didn't perform well.

I think that I will lose my mind, though, if another team (esp GS, Cavs, Raps) give him a chance and he shows that he had something left.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Maybe he does not trust him influencing the kids.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Jeeze... The guy hasn't played meaningful basketball in four years and retired from the NBA two years ago to smoke pot...

Don't you think there's a chance that he legitimately might not be an NBA caliber player anymore?

Well apparently our brilliant gm didn't think so and bothered to work him out.  Surely if those were prequesites someone getting paid to actually know talent woulda thought about that ::)

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He probably couldnt' hit a 3 pt shot

Danny won't add a big man that can't hit the 3...

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Well apparently our brilliant gm didn't think so and bothered to work him out.  Surely if those were prequesites someone getting paid to actually know talent woulda thought about that ::)
Of course it is possible that sanders did poorly in the work out.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He probably couldnt' hit a 3 pt shot

Danny won't add a big man that can't hit the 3...

He probably can't hit a 2 point shot either or a free throw.