Author Topic: What's the Ideal Situation for a Rookie Coming out of College?  (Read 6078 times)

What's the Ideal Situation for a Rookie Coming out of College?
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I'm not really big on college basketball, but to my understanding, if the C's get a top 2 or 3 pick, it'll likely be a PG. So it got me thinking, how would you incorporate promising players like Ball or Fultz, into the rotation without limiting their growth or exposure, or having them play out of position? Then I wondered what the ideal situation would be in general for a rookie out of college.

For instance, lottery rookies typically get a lot of burn on the team that they get drafted by because they would have a pretty abysmal record due to lack of talent, and the rookie is immediately placed in the rotation. The rookie may get a lot of in-game regular season experience, but often times are not put in the best position to win games throughout the course of their rookie year.

Rookies drafted by playoff teams usually have to fight for rotation minutes. They may become exposed to the playoffs, winning cultures and attitudes, but ultimately they don't have the experience or talent to keep up with the rest of the rotation.

The C's are in an interesting position where the biggest talents in the draft play the same position as one of the biggest (or smallest) talents in the league in IT. Even if TROZ or D-JAX get moved, how would the C's be able to get developmental playing time for the rook while keeping the rotation intact?

(Other than trade them lol)

Re: What's the Ideal Situation for a Rookie Coming out of College?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If he is a game changer they will find minutes for him or he will need to earn them in practice.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They will let the rookie compete for a roster spot. Then compete for playing time. And if he improves enough he will make the rotation on a regular basis. I don't expect any rookie to be a starter right away unless the team he is drafted to is really weak at his position and he has beat out the current vet.

So for any team put the rookie last on the depth chart and as he improves move him up.

In the case of Ball or Fultz both could play next to Smart off the bench if either beats out Rozier. Or if team lands Jackson or Tatum we could see Brown playing behind AB at SG spot going foward. It all comes down to the rookie playing well enough to earn the time.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Trade Isaiah. He is too difficult for another high volume ball-handler to play with.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Trade Bradely. IT4 can play on and off ball. Smart is a PG.
Fultz will be the starting 2 guard.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In general, a rookie will most likely get an overall better developmental experience in a winning environment being surrounded by successful veterans, basically the environment the Celtucs are providing for Brown and any other future high draft picks.

As for our future 2017 draftee, he will need to carve himself out time behind a starter and develop from there. There is absolutely zero need to trade any player to make time for this rookie. Let him develop much like Brown has, slowly but demonstrably through earning his time and showing the coaching staff he can play defense and play smart offensive basketball while contributing in a pisitive manner to a team dedicated to winning.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Trade Isaiah. He is too difficult for another high volume ball-handler to play with.
I think its hard to find a good deal for Isaiah. You are talking about a guy in the MVP conversation. You have to get a massive haul for him and I dont see anyone offering a massive return.

He is a 27 year old back to back all-star who is second in the NBA in scoring and on a top 10 team. This isnt good-stats, bad team stuff. That is not somebody you can move unless you get a gigantic return.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Marcus Smart's and Terry Rozier's and Avery Bradley's and Jae Crowder's development would beg to differ.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think its hard to find a good deal for Isaiah. You are talking about a guy in the MVP conversation. You have to get a massive haul for him and I dont see anyone offering a massive return.

He is a 27 year old back to back all-star who is second in the NBA in scoring and on a top 10 team. This isnt good-stats, bad team stuff. That is not somebody you can move unless you get a gigantic return.

I bet this summer you could get someone like Philly to offer a substantial package for him, especially if they miss out on one of the top PGs of the draft. Minny would also be a place who would be interested in him, I think.

Not saying that's what I would do. I prefer to see where we are in the summer of 2018 before making a decision on IT. But I think some teams would be desperate enough to start winning to offer up a good package for him.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Marcus Smart's and Terry Rozier's and Avery Bradley's and Jae Crowder's development would beg to differ.
Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley are very far from high volume ball-handlers. Terry Rozier has not exactly developed and one could(and I will) make the argument that Marcus Smart's development has been stunted by the presence of Isaiah Thomas.

Better proof would be the success of Evan Turner.

I think Isaiah does well off the ball and could play with another primary ball-handler.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Good thread.

My answer is probably not being drafted by the Celtics since they have so much depth.

This leads me to believe we might see 1 or 2 guys who refuse to work out for the Celtics and have their agents tell Ainge they don't want to play for the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This leads me to believe we might see 1 or 2 guys who refuse to work out for the Celtics and have their agents tell Ainge they don't want to play for the Celtics.

That is unrealistic to think that a college player wouldn't want to join a team on the rise and potentially disregard the possibility of being the first pick because he'd rather go to a losing situation where he can get more minutes.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:16:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Then trade the draft pick PG for a player who is an upgrade at another position.

Trade one of them. Do not keep both.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

That is unrealistic to think that a college player wouldn't want to join a team on the rise and potentially disregard the possibility of being the first pick because he'd rather go to a losing situation where he can get more minutes.
It happens and I don't see what's unrealistic about Fultz or Ball not wanting to play behind IT4 who could be our starting point guard for 4-5 more years.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

It happens and I don't see what's unrealistic about Fultz or Ball not wanting to play behind IT4 who could be our starting point guard for 4-5 more years.

It would be absolutely shocking. Who knows if IT4 is here 4-5 more years or that it's one or the other. I find it ridiculous actually that a player would want to forego #1 pick money.