Author Topic: Shame on Trump for Muslim Ban  (Read 13577 times)

Re: Shame on Trump for Muslim Ban
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1505
  • bammokja
This is still the law of the land, and I hope that a suit quickly results in an injunction.  You cannot discriminate based on country of origin.  A photo of the signing ceremony for this bill hangs in our house.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965

Disgusting.
Indeed disgusting. That bigotry, discrimination, and hatred are made central to the US government is appalling. Once again, so many times in a single week, I am ashamed by the actions of this government.

It will be up to various NGOs to take all these heinous actions to court. And have the reversed. But so much work and effort will be necessary.

Currently, my hope/dream is for impeachment by year two for this bigot-in-chief.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Ed Macauley
  • bammokja
Wait a second, Hillary was funded by Saudi Arabia , former head of CIA John Brennan lived there for a decade and reportedly converted to Wahhabism.

I agree that he should have Saudi Arabia on the list as well, but let's not pretend like there isn't some sketchy ties with the last administration.
These ties date back 50 years or more.  The US government has been stained by this relationship for a longtime.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Ed Macauley
  • bammokja
Muslim ban? More like a ban against refugees from certain regions. If a country was omitted it's most likely because our Intel concluded we can successfully vet those regions.

Trump plans on creating safe zones in Syria and other war inflicted regions. Something the Obama administration failed to do.

He doesn't take his intelligience reports so how would he know?
He wouldn't take intelligence reports from the hand picked generals Obama used if that's what you meant.

Look at the mess in Syria Obama left Trump. Trump was left with having to take a hard stance against refugees. He's focusing instead on safe zones.

You don't really believe that do you? He didn't take the briefings because of "Obama's hand picked generals"?

These guys are career military men who spent decades getting where they are across multiple presidencies. Their job it to report current matters of national security to the commander in chief, no mater who he is. And the vast majority of them vote republican. I mean, the bar for "what a crazy thing to say" is shifting under Trump, but my god that is just silly.
Obama got rid of the generals who he didn't like. He also encouraged false reports to help his cause.
And republican presidents don't? Ha, ha, ha. You are a funny person.

Related, the intelligence agencies ALL told bush II that there were NO weapons of mass destruction in Iraq before the war. Bush et al all lied about that to the American people.

All presidents do things such as this.butsome worse than others.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1057
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I understand this is a sensitive topic, so it is better to be precise.

Technically this is not a >Muslim ban> as mentioned in the title (although it can be argued that this is the Administration's intention, esp. since it reinforces the stereotype that all terrorists are Muslim).

It is more precise to say that this is a ban on the citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries: Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen. I don't know about the other countries, but Syria has a substantial Christian population, and some Persian Jews still live in Iran (though there are more in the US, and their majority now lives in Israel; wikipedia). At least on paper, this is not targeted on people of Muslim religion, rather on citizens of seven countries in crisis/civil war (although that they are all predominantly Muslim is a somehow weird coincidence).

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:47 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Muslim ban? More like a ban against refugees from certain regions. If a country was omitted it's most likely because our Intel concluded we can successfully vet those regions.

Trump plans on creating safe zones in Syria and other war inflicted regions. Something the Obama administration failed to do.

He doesn't take his intelligience reports so how would he know?
He wouldn't take intelligence reports from the hand picked generals Obama used if that's what you meant.

Look at the mess in Syria Obama left Trump. Trump was left with having to take a hard stance against refugees. He's focusing instead on safe zones.

You don't really believe that do you? He didn't take the briefings because of "Obama's hand picked generals"?

These guys are career military men who spent decades getting where they are across multiple presidencies. Their job it to report current matters of national security to the commander in chief, no mater who he is. And the vast majority of them vote republican. I mean, the bar for "what a crazy thing to say" is shifting under Trump, but my god that is just silly.
Obama got rid of the generals who he didn't like. He also encouraged false reports to help his cause.
And republican presidents don't? Ha, ha, ha. You are a funny person.

Related, the intelligence agencies ALL told bush II that there were NO weapons of mass destruction in Iraq before the war. Bush et al all lied about that to the American people.

All presidents do things such as this.butsome worse than others.
This is the second time you have called me a silly or a funny person yet I have never insulted you.

My point regarding Obama was to illustrate to the earlier poster that Trump like Obama will use certain Intel reports and dismiss others if they come from sources he disagrees with. It was precisely the same point you tried to make while mocking my point. I guess you missed that.

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5174
Look -- Some of you will cringe reading this but I have to say, so far I agree with almost every decision he has made. I know some of those decisions have been very controversial and I know a lot of people don't like him. But he has surrounded himself with some of the greatest minds and I know that history will judge him as one of the best if not the very best we have ever seen. There's no denying his leadership qualities are superb. I know not everyone is going to agree with me
but

these are just a few of the reasons I like Danny Ainge!

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 933
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Look -- Some of you will cringe reading this but I have to say, so far I agree with almost every decision he has made. I know some of those decisions have been very controversial and I know a lot of people don't like him. But he has surrounded himself with some of the greatest minds and I know that history will judge him as one of the best if not the very best we have ever seen. There's no denying his leadership qualities are superb. I know not everyone is going to agree with me
but

these are just a few of the reasons I like Danny Ainge!

LOL after the 3rd line I was thinking 'who hacked Nickagenta's account?'.

TP, pure gold.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 100

Technically this is not a >Muslim ban> as mentioned in the title (although it can be argued that this is the Administration's intention, esp. since it reinforces the stereotype that all terrorists are Muslim).

It is more precise to say that this is a ban on the citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries: Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen. I don't know about the other countries, but Syria has a substantial Christian population, and some Persian Jews still live in Iran (though there are more in the US, and their majority now lives in Israel; wikipedia). At least on paper, this is not targeted on people of Muslim religion, rather on citizens of seven countries in crisis/civil war (although that they are all predominantly Muslim is a somehow weird coincidence).

Religious minorities (such as Christians) from these countries can still seek refugee status. This is definitely trying to target Muslims.

Green card holders are also being blocked and judged on a 'case by case' basis. This is utterly disgusting and completely indefensible. Anyone who supports this junk is nothing short of racist in my book (not you greece, just speaking in general)

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 884

Curiously it does not include other countries associated with Islamic extremists, such as Egypt, UAE, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and others.  A curious list indeed.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2409
It is unconstitutional to discriminate based on religion. I am surprised this hasn't been legally challenged yet. It is discrimination based on religion, because christians from those countries can still come to the US.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 543

Curiously it does not include other countries associated with Islamic extremists, such as Egypt, UAE, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and others.  A curious list indeed.
Yup rode Hillary for connection to Saudis and 911 attackers were mostly Saudi. Trump is a patsy his cabinet and policies are a joke.
My Top 5
Trade targets.      Draft.                     FAs
1. Davis              1.Fultz              1. Griffin*
2. Cousins          2. Tatum          2. Hayward
3. Butler              3. Jackson       3. Millsap
4. George            4. Ball               4. Lowry
5. Favors             5. Isaac            5. Gali

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 380

Especially curious since a) most of the 9/11 bombers were from Saudi Arabia and b) because Trump has business ties to Egypt, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia.

There is no way around this: Trump is a greedy self-serving demagogue attempting to use the prejudices of the ignorant and uninformed to gain more power and money.

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »

Online saltlover

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2132
It is unconstitutional to discriminate based on religion. I am surprised this hasn't been legally challenged yet. It is discrimination based on religion, because christians from those countries can still come to the US.

I'm fairly certain the legal precedent is that since they are not US citizens nor in the US, they are not protected by the 1st amendment.

However, I don't know if US citizen or permanent resident families would have standing, arguing that their family's separation is based on religious discrimination.

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 884

Especially curious since a) most of the 9/11 bombers were from Saudi Arabia and b) because Trump has business ties to Egypt, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia.

There is no way around this: Trump is a greedy self-serving demagogue attempting to use the prejudices of the ignorant and uninformed to gain more power and money.

Precisely.  It's speculatory as to why these countries aren't on the list, but at the same time it's really difficult to think that this is by coincidence.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
There's a simple answer to that. Christians are not becoming radical terrorist in that region.

This is not a ban on Muslims. It's a preventive measure to keep radical terrorist out of our countries.