Author Topic: Trading for Vucevic (merged rumor threads)  (Read 25706 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Celtics Talking Nikola Vucevic With Magic
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I'm also curious what the price could be for Vucevic. What are your thoughts?

Either Amir/Zeller and at most the 2018 Brooklyn pick or Rozier.  Vucevic is worth the 2018 pick IMO.  He is a legit starting 5 on a playoff-caliber team and we'd have him locked up for at least 2 more seasons.

Edit: people are making a lot of noise about his decline this year, but that is with a new coach and Ibaka/Biyombo added.  There was a time when this guy was the centerpiece to a major deal and he was the best player in said deal:  http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/2/6/3959524/the-nikola-vucevic-trade-jumping-to-conclusions-and-revisionist

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:25 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Im not sure I would give up the BKN 18 pick. Any pick in the lottery range is worth an established star player, unless that draft is historically bad like the 2000 one.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Im not sure I would give up the BKN 18 pick. Any pick in the lottery range is worth an established star player, unless that draft is historically bad like the 2000 one.

I do not share the view the BK will be as bad next year as this one.  They can bring FAs in and build a middling lottery team.  Unless that pick is at least top-8, which is no guarantee, I would not hesitate to trade it for a proven 7-footer who is a double-double threat every game.

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm pretty convinced Sherrod doesn't know anything.  I can't recall a single rumor he's broke to ever been an eventual move.  He is also always blabbing about whatever hoopshype rumors are out there that never end up happening.  I'm not giving this any consideration as actually having happened.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
This guy was out rebounded by both Jaylen and Jonas and Had 0 blocks. I think Ante Zizic is more of what we need. We already score at a high rate and need rebounding and rim protection. Vucevic is not the answer...

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
A Brooklyn pick?  ****.  Ainge isn't close to that stupid.

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Sherrod is not a reliable source

Confirmed a few minutes ago by theScore: http://www.thescore.com/news/1218943

He makes a lot of sense at the right price.  He's starting again, puts up points and rebounds in a hurry.  Sieve on defense, but that just means he'll fit in with the rest of 'em.

It's not confirmation if their evidence is the original source.

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Pass. Let's try to think of a defensive acquisition for that position. God knows our interior defense is abysmal. Noel? Sanders?

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
VUCEVIC ....get it done Danny I have been asking for this deal to be done...Any reasonable deal not involving the BKN picks or our core should not be missed.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Offensively he'd really help us, but he's an absolutely terrible pairing with Horford defensively. Stretch 4's would absolutely kill us, like they do now, while also taking advantage of Vucevic down low, who always gives up major scores to opposing centers.

I think there's better ways to spend our money/space.
I don't agree that stretch 4's would kill us. Horford does a good job guarding perimeter guys. Just a few nights ago he consistently guarded Harden on switches down the stretch and defended him well. Horford can defend the perimeter. More often than not Horford guards opposing 4's and Amir guard's opposing 5's to start.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
No thanks on Vucevic. If Danny's going to burn the possibility of max cap space this coming summer I'd rather just have Carmelo (and the trade cost would probably be less!), and if they're intent on going and getting a big banger in the paint I'd rather pick up Nurkic and maintain cap space for the summer.

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
No thanks on Vucevic. If Danny's going to burn the possibility of max cap space this coming summer I'd rather just have Carmelo (and the trade cost would probably be less!), and if they're intent on going and getting a big banger in the paint I'd rather pick up Nurkic and maintain cap space for the summer.

He also has a very cap-friendly contract (two years remaining at $12.3 million in 2017-18 and $12.8 million in 2018-19).

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I believe Vucevic salary is like 12.7 mill/yr for 2 years. That's HALF melo salary.

But that $12.7 million would still prevent the Celtics from signing anyone other than a backup this offseason.  So, functionally, it's the same.

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

He also has a very cap-friendly contract (two years remaining at $12.3 million in 2017-18 and $12.8 million in 2018-19).

As saltlover just pointed out, regardless of whether it's fair value for him it eats up about half of Boston's projected cap space this summer and taking them out of the market for any star signing. As I said, if the trade cost is the same (or even less) and you're passing on future cap space either way, I'd rather have Carmelo since all other things are equal.