Author Topic: Trading for Vucevic (merged rumor threads)  (Read 25748 times)

Re: Trading for Vucevic (merged rumor threads)
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
So, as I said, it wasn't true.

Hayward likes playing for Utah, period. And Utah is a playoff team. But Utah is not a lock to play beyond the first round, which may move Hayward into not-so-happy mood.

Also, Hayward surely remembers how some years ago Utah was reluctant to give him max money and so he had to sign an offer sheet with CHA/NO (I can't remember) to get that contract.

Here in Boston, the most heralded franchise in the league, he has a good environment, fans, his college coach and a team built to win for the next years.

So... Are you sure we don't have a chance to get him? Even a remote one?  ::)

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been on  board for trading for this guy, and some people believe we can get him fairly cheap, including one suggestion was players to match $ plus Guerschon Yabusele.  We also might have to take CJ Watson back in the deal.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2017, 07:56:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hayward likes playing for Utah, period. And Utah is a playoff team. But Utah is not a lock to play beyond the first round, which may move Hayward into not-so-happy mood.

Also, Hayward surely remembers how some years ago Utah was reluctant to give him max money and so he had to sign an offer sheet with CHA/NO (I can't remember) to get that contract.

Here in Boston, the most heralded franchise in the league, he has a good environment, fans, his college coach and a team built to win for the next years.

Yeah, Horford was seemingly happy on a perpetual playoff team. So was Durant, allegedly.

I'd probably wait until the off-season on Vucevic, or any of the other good but not great options.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Yeah, Horford was seemingly happy on a perpetual playoff team. So was Durant, allegedly.

I'd probably wait until the off-season on Vucevic, or any of the other good but not great options.
I think there's a remote chance, but only remote. Horford probably wouldn't be on the C's now if Atlanta had been willing to max him out. All indications are that Utah is going to give Hayward the max which means he'd have to leave a playoff team that he likes and give up a ton of money to come to Boston. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to ever happen but I don't think it's reasonable to ignore a good deal today just in case that situation occurs later.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2017, 08:09:48 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
You aren't getting him on the cheap.  Their GM's job is on the line and a deal like that would make things worse for him.

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think there's a remote chance, but only remote. Horford probably wouldn't be on the C's now if Atlanta had been willing to max him out. All indications are that Utah is going to give Hayward the max which means he'd have to leave a playoff team that he likes and give up a ton of money to come to Boston. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to ever happen but I don't think it's reasonable to ignore a good deal today just in case that situation occurs later.

The difference for Hayward over the first four years of the contract is only like $6 million or something (according to the media). If he wants to bet on himself, that 5th year may not be as important as some think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The difference for Hayward over the first four years of the contract is only like $6 million or something (according to the media). If he wants to bet on himself, that 5th year may not be as important as some think.
It depends on what he wants to do.  Here is an article that lays out a bunch of options for him.  He will earn the most money staying in Utah, especially if he makes an All NBA team and can become a designated veteran.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42729511&nid=304&title=gordon-hayward-has-a-lot-of-options-for-his-next-big-contract
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
You aren't getting him on the cheap.  Their GM's job is on the line and a deal like that would make things worse for him.

I agree, was only reading this story:

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2017/01/27/orlando-magic-rumors-boston-celtics-eyeing-nikola-vucevic/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I agree, was only reading this story:

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2017/01/27/orlando-magic-rumors-boston-celtics-eyeing-nikola-vucevic/

That story was talked about earlier in this thread.  That website doesn't put out any new information, and they were just quoting Blakely, who seems to be the least plugged in "insider" of all the NBA.  If A. Sherrod says it, you should pretty much assume it has no chance of happening.

« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

It depends on what he wants to do.  Here is an article that lays out a bunch of options for him.  He will earn the most money staying in Utah, especially if he makes an All NBA team and can become a designated veteran.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42729511&nid=304&title=gordon-hayward-has-a-lot-of-options-for-his-next-big-contract
TP for the article.

It's not crazy to think Hayward might come here, it just seems like it makes the most sense that he'd stay home. And even if he didn't, the article points out that the Celtics would likely be bidding against other teams for his services, so there's no guarantee even if he did leave.

But I still think this is beside the point when we're talking about Vucevic. If the Celtics were to trade for him and then get a shot at someone like Hayward or Griffin or Durant, Vucevic would be very easy to move (Dallas comes to mind) in order to make necessary space.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
These marginal trades remind me of the Tony Delk, Rodney Rogers for Joe Johnson and a 1st round pick trade idea. You go for broke but it doesn't get the job done and you mortgage the future for a small quick upgrade. I think we should stand pat unless we can go for the ring!

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
These marginal trades remind me of the Tony Delk, Rodney Rogers for Joe Johnson and a 1st round pick trade idea. You go for broke but it doesn't get the job done and you mortgage the future for a small quick upgrade. I think we should stand pat unless we can go for the ring!
2 years ago, Vucevic was a borderline all star averaging 19-11. But the Magic organization is terrible and the team sucks and he's had some injury issues. He's no guarantee but if he came to Boston and fit in well, he could potentially be an all star here some day. He's definitely got more upside than Rodney Rogers or Tony Delk ever had.

I'll add that I'm not giving up the farm to bring in Vuc. Only if Orlando is looking to move him and he could get got for a reasonable price. No Brklyn picks, no major rotation guys.

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
that I believe is the type of deal we need. A Vucevic who fills a need without compromising our overall development strategy. We get a player like Vucevic he fills our need for a big man but more importantly allows us to keep our core and long-term development strategy.