Author Topic: Trading for Vucevic (merged rumor threads)  (Read 25747 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Celtics Talking Nikola Vucevic With Magic
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if we could get Aaron Gordon?

Could play the 4 with Horford as a 5, and he is athletic as can be, which means he could handle the perimeter defensive duties.  Not sure how he would handle bigger 4's though, but he has so much potential that the thought of Stevens coaching him is really exciting.

I hate the thought of trading Crowder, but if the offered deal was Crowder and Zeller for Vucevic and Gordon, I'd do it.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Sherrod is not a reliable source

Confirmed a few minutes ago by theScore: http://www.thescore.com/news/1218943

He makes a lot of sense at the right price.  He's starting again, puts up points and rebounds in a hurry.  Sieve on defense, but that just means he'll fit in with the rest of 'em.

Hypothetically, if they add him, I hope a trade is lined up for some other star.

Adding Vucevic means no chance at a max-FA, so the only other route is a trade.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Would rather Ibaka

Still thinking that after this game?

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would rather Ibaka

Still thinking that after this game?

I haven't watched any of the game but by seeing his box score maybe not. Wouldn't mind Gordon though. Seeing how we are playing with a quicker 4 in JJ maybe he would be a nice input. Still only 21 years old and improving every year.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

He makes a lot of sense at the right price.  He's starting again, puts up points and rebounds in a hurry.  Sieve on defense, but that just means he'll fit in with the rest of 'em.

And the Score referenced Sherrod as the source.

I wouldnt Vuc being here but wouldn't he just get in the way of the cap flexibility.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I wouldnt Vuc being here but wouldn't he just get in the way of the cap flexibility.

Yeah, at that point you have to trade for another star because there will be no max-contract slot heading into the summer if you add Vucevic.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Hard to imagine there isn't some truth to it.  Doubt theScore references Sherrod very often.

Cap flexibility would be compromised, but his deal is reasonable and he's locked up for 2 more years. I guess that matters more to those that believe we'll land a max FA, but I'm not in that camp.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Do we like him playing with Horford though? I feel like he is just a bigger version of Al. I mean i'm not totally against it but would like to see a quicker 4, but then i guess we could always go small when need be.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yeah, at that point you have to trade for another star because there will be no max-contract slot heading into the summer if you add Vucevic.

Is a trade not more likely than FA signing for another big name?  I'd think so.  Don't see any max FAs likely to come here this summer, especially not in a position of need that also fits our timeline.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Is a trade not more likely than FA signing for another big name?  I'd think so.  Don't see any max FAs likely to come here this summer, especially not in a position of need that also fits our timeline.

Only star trade I can "possibly" see happening is Jimmy Butler..

If Nets Pick is #1, *maybe* Paul George is involved also in trade talks.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nikola > Zeller

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
To me doesn't move the needle for what you have to give up.  Bogut or the recently mentioned larry sanders both in their own ways could be had for a better amount and fit better in roles.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Offensively, it's a great fit. Defensively, he's not the best but he's a big body who can bang around the basket that the Celtics don't have and I wonder how much the Celtic's defense might improve just by having a legit rebounder in the middle, giving opponents less second chances.

As for next summer, the only max free agent the Celtics have a chance with at all is Hayward, but the Jazz are playing terrific and he just made the all star team for the first time. He's happy where he is. The Celtics would be dumb to reject a good trade deal that helps now just to keep cap space for this summer that they probably won't use.

In terms of what's available right now, I think Vucevic or Noel are the best options. Both have their pros and cons. I'd be good with bringing in Vucevic for the right deal.

Or so I wrote in November: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=87532.msg2181077#msg2181077
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Offensively, it's a great fit. Defensively, he's not the best but he's a big body who can bang around the basket that the Celtics don't have and I wonder how much the Celtic's defense might improve just by having a legit rebounder in the middle, giving opponents less second chances.

As for next summer, the only max free agent the Celtics have a chance with at all is Hayward, but the Jazz are playing terrific and he just made the all star team for the first time. He's happy where he is. The Celtics would be dumb to reject a good trade deal that helps now just to keep cap space for this summer that they probably won't use.

In terms of what's available right now, I think Vucevic or Noel are the best options. Both have their pros and cons. I'd be good with bringing in Vucevic for the right deal.

Or so I wrote in November: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=87532.msg2181077#msg2181077

With the way Noel is playing lately and the fact that Philly have cap space.. I think Noel might also not be available, which is a shame.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Would rather Ibaka
A couple of years ago yes.  He's declining as a player.