Author Topic: Jimmy Butler Watch Thread  (Read 14646 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler Watch Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
http://nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-celtics-wont-trade-2017-nets-pick-in-deal-for-jimmy-butler/

not too much real info, but worth posting here.

Im starting to come around to the idea that Jackson/Ball/Fultz all have really good chances to be as good as Butler on their own. Id still send Bradley/Zeller/'17 for Butler but I really like Butler so theres that.

Alternative title - "Danny is living in fantasy land."  :P

I think it's one thing to not think he's worth that pick, which is certainly reasonable. But I'm not sure how he thinks he can actually nab him without giving it up. I wonder if he thinks the same about Paul George, too. At least George would theoretically fit a bit better with us, but his contact situation is worse than Butler, along with probably not being as good of a player as him this year.

Not wanting to trade the pick for him is rediculous.  Butler is a multi-time all star,  and right now he's arguably a top 10 player.    Every year you're very lucky if you find 1 or 2 players in the entire draft class who end up that good.  Look how much hype surrounded Wiggins  in 2014 - he's actually become a very good player,  and he's still nowhere near Butler's level.

If Butler was a Celtic, on a very good contact, then everybody on this board wounld be arguing that we should take nothing less then a superstar and/or a top 3 luck for him.   If Butler was a Celtic I guarantee Ainge would accept no less then that.  Its rediculous.

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-celtics-wont-trade-2017-nets-pick-in-deal-for-jimmy-butler/

not too much real info, but worth posting here.

Im starting to come around to the idea that Jackson/Ball/Fultz all have really good chances to be as good as Butler on their own. Id still send Bradley/Zeller/'17 for Butler but I really like Butler so theres that.

Alternative title - "Danny is living in fantasy land."  :P

I think it's one thing to not think he's worth that pick, which is certainly reasonable. But I'm not sure how he thinks he can actually nab him without giving it up. I wonder if he thinks the same about Paul George, too. At least George would theoretically fit a bit better with us, but his contact situation is worse than Butler, along with probably not being as good of a player as him this year.

Not wanting to trade the pick for him is rediculous.  Butler is a multi-time all star,  and right now he's arguably a top 10 player.    Every year you're very lucky if you find 1 or 2 players in the entire draft class who end up that good.  Look how much hype surrounded Wiggins  in 2014 - he's actually become a very good player,  and he's still nowhere near Butler's level.

If Butler was a Celtic, on a very good contact, then everybody on this board wounld be arguing that we should take nothing less then a superstar and/or a top 3 luck for him.  If Butler was a Celtic I guarantee Ainge would accept no less then that.  Its rediculous.
Not wanting to trade the pick straight up for him is interesting and probably unwise but not ridiculous.

The pick is guaranteed top 4 in a loaded draft.

Butler is very very good but has had teammate issues twice now. Plus, he is ball-dominant and is beginning to appear injury prone.

It is the most valuable pick ever available at the trade deadline probably ever.

Again, Id trade it for Jimmy in a second, but Im gonna go ahead and trust the guy who has put us in this enviable position.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Stay away from George, Butler, Cousins, or whoever else ends up being available at the deadline.  None of these players would make us competitive with the Warriors.  There is no point wasting our greatest future growth factor (the Brooklyn picks) just so we can be a perennial ECF or Finals loser. 

Maximize this team by signing whoever you can in free agency (Griffin, Hayward, Milsap, or failing that, just extend Isaiah), then wait while the 17 and 18 picks develop.  Have a good team and a great future at the same time. 

The only trades I want to see at the deadline are deals where we maybe give away a bad draft pick for some marginal upgrade on an expiring contract.  Nothing that costs a Brooklyn pick, and nothing that ties up money past this year.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Stay away from George, Butler, Cousins, or whoever else ends up being available at the deadline.  None of these players would make us competitive with the Warriors.  There is no point wasting our greatest future growth factor (the Brooklyn picks) just so we can be a perennial ECF or Finals loser. 

Maximize this team by signing whoever you can in free agency (Griffin, Hayward, Milsap, or failing that, just extend Isaiah), then wait while the 17 and 18 picks develop.  Have a good team and a great future at the same time. 

The only trades I want to see at the deadline are deals where we maybe give away a bad draft pick for some marginal upgrade on an expiring contract.  Nothing that costs a Brooklyn pick, and nothing that ties up money past this year.
the concept of a perennial finals loser is ridiculous.

If you can make a trade that makes you the second best team in the NBA you make it.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Millsap is useless to us, Hayward is a modest uograde over Crowder and will cost is 4x as much, Griffin is likely unavailable and is no better then Butler is.

And the nature of free agency dictates that there is no guarantee we get any of those guys - they could just as easily stay with their teams or sign elsewhere.

The last time Ainge had money in free egency he threw $28m a year at a 30 year old G fringe star who was (and still is) clearly on the decline.

Ive been one of Danny's nicest supporters.   He's a great gm who has made some amazing moves.   But he's too greedy for his own good,  and at times like this it comes at the detriment of the team.

Butler is an elite all-round wing who helps you on both ends of the court,  he's on a cost controlled long term contract,  and adding hin would be a difference maker to this team for years to come.

And anybody who says it doesn't get us past Golden State - you dont know that.   Golden State set a record last year for most wins in a season and we're hyped s the best regular season team in history,  and they almost got embarassed by the Thunder before getting killed by the Cavs.  Regardless of they talent,  they choked when it counted and got beaten by an on-paper inferior Cleveland team.

Now Cleveland's hold on the east is fading because other teams have gotten better.   Boston is 2 games away from them for the top seed, which is closer then anybody got to them in the east last season.   We add a major piece like Butler,  or even a smaller piece like Ibaka...make even a modest improvement to this team, and we'd be very capable of beating the Cavs, who are the defending NBA champions.

So giving up a chance to get a guy like Butler and new legit contenders for the next 4-5 years,  just because danny is afraid to trade a draft pick,  is nuts.   We have 2 or 3 years left of Thomas and Horford being able to play at their current level.   We have the opportunity to make something happen and content for a championship banner over those 3-4 years while still keeping the 2018 Brooklyn pick and while having plenty of young talent left on the roster for the future.   Not doing it just for the sake of signing another Horford-caliber guy is silly

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Apparently a Bulls reporter Mark Schanowski reported today that the Bulls first asking price for Butler for the C's is the 2017 and 2018 Brooklyn picks, Brown, AND Bradley, which of course is a ludicrous price, but it's a STARTING price. Bargaining prices always start off high. Still, seems like it'd take at least Brown and the two Brooklyn picks to get him, which is too rich for my blood. He alone doesn't solve all of our problems, and that's the type of package that you send for a player that does just that.

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently a Bulls reporter Mark Schanowski reported today that the Bulls first asking price for Butler for the C's is the 2017 and 2018 Brooklyn picks, Brown, AND Bradley, which of course is a ludicrous price, but it's a STARTING price. Bargaining prices always start off high. Still, seems like it'd take at least Brown and the two Brooklyn picks to get him, which is too rich for my blood. He alone doesn't solve all of our problems, and that's the type of package that you send for a player that does just that.

Yeah I checked out Blog A Bull and they are saying similar things.

I would do 2017 Nets Pick + Bradley + 2018 Boston First + 2019 Memphis OR Clippers First + Zeller

That's my highest for now. I'm not willing to give up Brown, Smart and Crowder.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Yeah they can have ONE of:  Brown, Nets 2017, Nets 2018.  Their pick, I have to imagine they'd take the Nets 2017 pick though.

Then they have to take Bradley, because Butler is going to take his starting spot and he makes more sense next to Crowder.  Avery by the way is a 1st team All Defense NBA player and is averaging 18 PPG & 7 RPG.  Butler is certainly a better player, but it's not like Bradley is a slouch.

Then they have to take either Zeller or Amir for Salary purposes.

Then if we had to, I'd throw in Yabu, but I'd be not happy about it.

Finally, our pick next year, likely to be like 30.

That's a pretty fair offer.  Nets 17, Bradley (18 & 7), Amir (aka huge cap savings), the rights to Yabu & Boston 2018 1st rounder for Butler. 

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah they can have ONE of:  Brown, Nets 2017, Nets 2018.  Their pick, I have to imagine they'd take the Nets 2017 pick though.

Then they have to take Bradley, because Butler is going to take his starting spot and he makes more sense next to Crowder.  Avery by the way is a 1st team All Defense NBA player and is averaging 18 PPG & 7 RPG.  Butler is certainly a better player, but it's not like Bradley is a slouch.

That's a pretty fair offer.  Nets 17, Bradley (18 & 7), Amir (aka huge cap savings), the rights to Yabu & Boston 2018 1st rounder for Butler.

I'd love to do that deal. Unfortunately Chicago wouldn't..  :'(

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah that a package for AD, and still thats steep.

I'd do 2017,(rather 18)Memph,Clips picks, AB,Amir,Rozeir. Butler is a nice player, but this whole thing with Wade and getting benched hurt a bit. If the Want Brown, they would have to take the 2018 nets pick. I mean you could be trading 3 potential future all stars to franchise players for one All Star. Thats crazy, even for a starting point.

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Keep Bradley, give them Crowder,  please!

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2017, 04:55:43 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, that definitely is ludicrous.

Id give them one of the Brooklyn picks and Brown.  Maybe Crowder too if i really had to.   Thats a hell of a haul for a rebuilding team,  not giving any more then that and salary filler.

If they refused that id term then forget it and it talk to NY about Melo.

Actually id probably go for Melo instead the instant the deal goes past Crowder, 2017 and filler.

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Hey guys. Want to use this thread as the only one for all Butler rumors and what not from now on?

It's sort of like the "Boogie Watch" thread that was used throughout the season.

I created this thread a while ago too and there's been good discussion here.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like the Butler rumors for tonight are over.

Rumors have gone ice cold involving Butler the past four hours lol.

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Looks like the Butler rumors for tonight are over.

Rumors have gone ice cold involving Butler the past four hours lol.

Almost too quiet...