Author Topic: Jimmy Butler Watch Thread  (Read 14745 times)

Jimmy Butler Watch Thread
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think it's fair to say we will be expecting and hearing a TON of Jimmy Butler rumors over the next six months. We will hear them a lot at the deadline (though I predict CHI keeps him still after the deadline), and up until Draft Day (which is when things could get REALLY interesting). If the Celtics 2017 Nets Pick lands #1 or #2, I think they will DEFINITELY get calls from the Chicago FO and it's a possible a deal is discussed again (like last summer though nothing ultimately materialized).

Out of all the star trade targets out there (PG13, Cousins, etc.), I think Butler is the only "somewhat realistic" possibility since I think PG13 and Cousins are 100% untouchable (and Cousins is likely signing the extension anyways).

Butler is frustrated in Chicago right now, and I highly doubt Wade is sticking around after this season, and I would be shocked if Rondo is still with the team after the trade deadline (even though what he said on Instagram was 100% right). All in all, the Bulls will be hard pressed to start rebuilding and Butler is their best trade chip for assets (and maybe Lopez, but not as valuable as Butler obviously). Plus, the Bulls dysfunctional FO can make Hoiberg and J. Butler the "scapegoats" for the underwhelming finishes this season and last season.

So post about any news/rumors on Butler here, and any updates after he has a big game or something similar.

SO FAR, he is averaging 25 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists a game in 37 minutes/game. He just came off a big game where he scored 40 points (and the Bulls lost).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Jimmy Butler Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
They need to rebuild, but that's not how Bulls management thinks. Clawing for a 8th playoff seed is sufficient in their minds, which is why Wade and Rondo are there in the first place.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
They need to rebuild, but that's not how Bulls management thinks. Clawing for a 8th playoff seed is sufficient in their minds, which is why Wade and Rondo are there in the first place.

Completely agree. Which is why I think they don't shop Butler at the deadline.

They will fight for the 8 seed and lose first round to Cleveland.

But over the summer I think they will definitely explore the possibility.

Regardless I'm expecting about 20 celticsblog articles and a bunch of "trade rumors" to pop up involving Butler in February before the deadline even if he ultimately isn't moved.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I agree about the deadline.

However, if we get the number one pick and put it out there on the market before the draft, it wouldn't surprise me to see both Chicago (Butler) and Indiana (George) dangling their guys for it.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

They could actually be buyers.  If they can move Rondo, they could be in the market for a Deron Williams buyout.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I agree about the deadline.

However, if we get the number one pick and put it out there on the market before the draft, it wouldn't surprise me to see both Chicago (Butler) and Indiana (George) dangling their guys for it.
I think I'd rather have Butler since he has two more years before his opt out whereas George only has one.  Performance wise I like that Butler gets to the free throw line twice as much and he's got a significantly better assist to turnover ratio. 

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

They could actually be buyers.  If they can move Rondo, they could be in the market for a Deron Williams buyout.
Why would Williams be bought out?  This is the last year of his contract.  If they waive him, some team may just claim him. 

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Why would Williams be bought out?  This is the last year of his contract.  If they waive him, some team may just claim him.

That's true - but Dallas is going nowhere and I can't imagine anyone trading for him.  I could be wrong but my guess is buyout - waive.  It is possible someone else claims him but who before the Bulls (if I am correct, it goes by record)?

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Which would make the Bulls warm toast as opposed to cold toast. They'd still be toast.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Regardless I'm expecting about 20 celticsblog articles and a bunch of "trade rumors" to pop up involving Butler in February before the deadline even if he ultimately isn't moved.

If you are Chicago, isn't your best path still to build around Butler?

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Which would make the Bulls warm toast as opposed to cold toast. They'd still be toast.

I completely agree, as just don't think they are willing to accept a long period of tanking given they did that a while back and it didn't really work out.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

If you are Chicago, isn't your best path still to build around Butler?

They plan to do that, BUT...

How will they build around Butler? Any big marquee FA's coming their way? Any top draft picks?

They definitely could but if they decide to rebuild completely, Butler is their best bet to accumulate assets.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
So as "punishment", Butler and Wade won't START on Friday and will come off the bench.

Things looking really good down in Chicago.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
So as "punishment", Butler and Wade won't START on Friday and will come off the bench.

So Rondo's the hero!

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

So Rondo's the hero!

No they are just being "kind".

Rondo is probably gone next week anyways LOL.