Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo  (Read 41282 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
To Phil, that Memphis pick is worth more than old JJ Reddick. They're trying to rebuild...And Reddick's contract will expire soon.

Yeah, I have no idea where this Redick love is coming from. Perhaps Moranis didn't think he was as old as he was.

And there's no way that Redick would stay in New York next year unless they significantly overpaid him anyways lol

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I mean, if they're willing to deal with the Clips without one of the Big 3, then surely a deal for something like Melo and Jennings for Amir, Zeller (salary filler), Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick would do it, right? That's certainly better for a rebuild than anything the Clips can offer, and you can still add several seconds, the Clips protected pick, or something like Mickey to the deal to sweeten the pot even more without giving up crucial core guys.

Hell, I'd be fine with that. Be a contender for two to three seasons while we develop Smart, Brown, and the two Brooklyn picks? I think this roster has a decent chance of knocking off Cleveland:

PG: IT, Jennings
SG: AB, Smart
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Melo, JJ
C: Horford, KO

The issue would be whether or not Melo would agree to come here.
The Clippers can easily surpass that trade.  I mean JJ Redick alone is more valuable than any of the Boston assets you are proposing and Redick, Crawford, Johnson, and a future 1st (2021) is a significantly better trade for NY than the one you are proposing.  NY isn't going to want Boston's crap, which is what that trade is aside from the unknown Memphis pick.

Boston is going to have give up a real asset to get Anthony and not a bunch of "garbage".

I dunno, I don't think JJ is more valuable to the Knicks as a franchise for the long term than some of the stuff Boston can send - namely, draft picks that don't start with BKN. We got a lot of 'em. That's what's weird about this - like, is Kevin Love (reported target from Cleveland) really a great option for the Knicks? He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but if you're trading Melo to "go in a different direction," wouldn't you seek players/assets that better align with your franchise cornerstone's timeline? And you own your draft picks, so.... I don't get it.

If I'm Phil, I'm looking for either expiring contracts or young guys with potential + any draft picks I can get my hands on. Although, I guess Reddick is an expiring contract, but still.
Boston can easily beat a Clippers offer, but I was talking about the specific trade in the post I responded to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I mean, if they're willing to deal with the Clips without one of the Big 3, then surely a deal for something like Melo and Jennings for Amir, Zeller (salary filler), Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick would do it, right? That's certainly better for a rebuild than anything the Clips can offer, and you can still add several seconds, the Clips protected pick, or something like Mickey to the deal to sweeten the pot even more without giving up crucial core guys.

Hell, I'd be fine with that. Be a contender for two to three seasons while we develop Smart, Brown, and the two Brooklyn picks? I think this roster has a decent chance of knocking off Cleveland:

The Clippers can easily surpass that trade.  I mean JJ Redick alone is more valuable than any of the Boston assets you are proposing and Redick, Crawford, Johnson, and a future 1st (2021) is a significantly better trade for NY than the one you are proposing.  NY isn't going to want Boston's crap, which is what that trade is aside from the unknown Memphis pick.

Boston is going to have give up a real asset to get Anthony and not a bunch of "garbage".

Yeah, not even close. I'm calling major BS on that. In what world is 32 year old free agent Reddick a better piece to build around than Rozier? The whole point of them trading Melo is to start building around Porzingis, and somehow 32 year old free agent Redick and 36 year old Crawford are those pieces?? lol

The only thing from that package that you can say has any real value to the Knicks is that Clippers pick, but it's value is highly unknown due to being so far into the future. We can easily trump any trade that the Clippers can make without giving up any of our top-tier assets.
Brice Johnson was a 1st round pick in the last draft.  I'd say he has more value than Rozier around the league.  Rozier has very limited value.  He isn't Young, but he isn't worth much of anything. 

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I give DA Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but I'm pretty confident with him on the phone with Phil.  This no trade clause gives the NYKs  very little leverage,  especially if they're hell bent on trading him.   I suspect a late first and matching salaries with possibly Rozier being offered.

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The Clippers can surpass that trade if the Knicks and Phil want to stay mediocre and not clear cap space. The article in the OP said Phil wants to build around Porzingas. So why would NY add add two players that are older than 32 to a team centered around a 21 year old?

Also, there are the salary cap implications. Your proposal only saves $7 million off of the Knicks cap. Boston can trade players that remove all $27 million of Melo's salary. That is Boston's offer gets its value. NY wipes Melo off the books for expirings and gets picks while dumping a 33 year old star to build around a 21 year old.

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

I dunno, I don't think JJ is more valuable to the Knicks as a franchise for the long term than some of the stuff Boston can send - namely, draft picks that don't start with BKN. We got a lot of 'em. That's what's weird about this - like, is Kevin Love (reported target from Cleveland) really a great option for the Knicks? He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but if you're trading Melo to "go in a different direction," wouldn't you seek players/assets that better align with your franchise cornerstone's timeline? And you own your draft picks, so.... I don't get it.

If I'm Phil, I'm looking for either expiring contracts or young guys with potential + any draft picks I can get my hands on. Although, I guess Reddick is an expiring contract, but still.
Boston can easily beat a Clippers offer, but I was talking about the specific trade in the post I responded to.

Roger that!

I guess it all depends on whether or not Phil is interested in doing the right thing and committing to a bona fide rebuild - which shouldn't take long or be too messy, given he's got his unicorn and owns his draft picks - or if he's gonna continue to do the stupid, quick fix move.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
To Phil, that Memphis pick is worth more than old JJ Reddick. They're trying to rebuild...And Reddick's contract will expire soon.

Yeah, I have no idea where this Redick love is coming from. Perhaps Moranis didn't think he was as old as he was.

And there's no way that Redick would stay in New York next year unless they significantly overpaid him anyways lol
I know how old Redick is, but let's not pretend that the Knicks don't have Noah, Lee, and a bunch of veterans locked up long term.  Redick is averaging 16 ppg and shooting 44% from three.  He is an excellent player still.  Sure he isn't going to be around for a decade or anything.  And I'd put more value on the Clippers 2021 than the Memphis pick we own. 

There is no question Boston can put together a very attractive trade package for Anthony, but it will take a lot more than Johnson, Zeller, Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick to do it. 

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Interesting angle to play here as a trade enabler vs. destination for Carmelo. NYK are on the downfall and staring at a multi-year rebuild.

They are losing Carmelo and after he leaves Rose is gone too. What if we did this trade:

LAC gets Carmelo Anthony
BOS gets Paul Pierce, NYK 2019 1st round pick (right to swap or flat out pick)
NYK gets Jamal Crawford, Kelly Olynyk, Wesley Johnson, LAC Future 1st round pick

So we get what could be a team headed for the lottery in a rebuild 1st round pick and the sentimental Paul Pierce retirement swan song for last half of season.

Thoughts?

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I know how old Redick is, but let's not pretend that the Knicks don't have Noah, Lee, and a bunch of veterans locked up long term.  Redick is averaging 16 ppg and shooting 44% from three.  He is an excellent player still.  Sure he isn't going to be around for a decade or anything.  And I'd put more value on the Clippers 2021 than the Memphis pick we own. 

There is no question Boston can put together a very attractive trade package for Anthony, but it will take a lot more than Johnson, Zeller, Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick to do it.

I really don't think it would take more than that, the victory for the Knicks would be shedding Carmelo's contract off of their books, not the average to below average players they get in return.

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Yeah, I just don't think you're right here. They have Noah, Lee, and other veterans, but the whole point of trading Melo is to break the team down, get good draft picks, and build around Porzingis. They have 0 interest in Redick or Crawford. At least with our trade they clear up their books a bit rather than adding more long-term salary in older vets, along with getting similar assets back.

On the other hand, apparently they are interested in Rivers for some unknown reason, which is apparently why they're willing to trade Melo for Rivers and Crawford.

I think that's a ridiculous and short-sighted trade for both sides actually. The Clippers biggest weakness has always been not having the supporting cast and bench to properly surround their stars, so I don't see how them sacrificing even more rotational depth for a questionable fit in Melo makes sense.

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Clippers can surpass that trade if the Knicks and Phil want to stay mediocre and not clear cap space. The article in the OP said Phil wants to build around Porzingas. So why would NY add add two players that are older than 32 to a team centered around a 21 year old?

Also, there are the salary cap implications. Your proposal only saves $7 million off of the Knicks cap. Boston can trade players that remove all $27 million of Melo's salary. That is Boston's offer gets its value. NY wipes Melo off the books for expirings and gets picks while dumping a 33 year old star to build around a 21 year old.
To be clear I was proposing Brice Johnson, thus the Knicks save over 10 million not 7 ish million (if they let Redick walk).  And they would still have room for 2 max contracts next summer.  Even if the eliminated all future salary, they wouldn't have room for 3 max contracts.  But the Knicks aren't trading Anthony in a salary dump.  They want real assets.  Redick, Crawford, B. Johnson, and a LAC way in the future 1st has far more value than Rozier and the Memphis pick. 

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If the Knicks shed Melo's salary, even with Lee and Noah, they would be at a salary of about $60 million next year.

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Yeah, not even close. I'm calling major BS on that. In what world is 32 year old free agent Reddick a better piece to build around than Rozier? The whole point of them trading Melo is to start building around Porzingis, and somehow 32 year old free agent Redick and 36 year old Crawford are those pieces?? lol

The only thing from that package that you can say has any real value to the Knicks is that Clippers pick, but it's value is highly unknown due to being so far into the future. We can easily trump any trade that the Clippers can make without giving up any of our top-tier assets.
Brice Johnson was a 1st round pick in the last draft.  I'd say he has more value than Rozier around the league.  Rozier has very limited value.  He isn't Young, but he isn't worth much of anything.

You're not being serious, right? You're telling me a 22 year old rookie WHO'S NEVER PLAYED A NBA GAME, has more value than Rozier around the league?!?! Is this an "Alternative Fact"? Check out Johnson's PER and game-by-game stats:

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2982330/brice-johnson

Oh wait you can't, all the stats are 0's and he's logged no minutes since the pre-season...

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/26/report-knicks-could-trade-carmelo-anthony-to-clippers-without-receiving-chris-paul-blake-griffin-or-deandre-jordan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Any deal would likely involve two of J.J. Redick, Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers. Their salaries are needed to match Anthony, who has a trade bonus that makes salary matching even more complex. The Clippers are over the luxury-tax line and facing a hard cap, and the Knicks are over the salary cap.

The Clippers should be reluctant to deal Redick, though. There’s a real case that his 3-and-D skills better complement the Clippers’ stars than Anthony’s scoring would. Another complication: 32-year-old Redick might not provide much value to the Knicks if they want to rebuild around Kristaps Porzingis.

https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/824703933444616192

Trade would almost certainly include Austin Rivers, who the Knicks liked in free agency this summer.

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/824706148234395648

Yes, the Knicks met with Austin Rivers last July in Orlando.

Redick has never been their target and provides little to no value to the Knicks.

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If the Knicks shed Melo's salary, even with Lee and Noah, they would be at a salary of about $60 million next year.
Which isn't enough for 3 max contracts, which is what I was saying.  They aren't going to have cap room for 3 max contracts unless they can somehow unload Noah or Lee, the Clippers trade I proposed would still allow them to sign 2 max contracts.  Thus, they would get better players, better assets, and not really be in any worse position this summer. 

Frankly the Clippers and Knicks could do this trade as well.

Crawford, Rivers, Redick, B. Johnson, 2021 1st

for

Anthony and Lee

Sheds a year salary from Lee to Rivers for the Knicks and a bit more salary next summer, plus adds in a better younger player in Rivers as opposed to Lee.

Again, Boston can easily beat that trade, but it will require real assets, not a bunch of garbage expiring contracts and very low tier assets. 

I've been proposing trades on here for awhile in which Anthony ends up in Boston.  I'd be happy to give them Smart or Brown, salary filler, and low level 1st's (like Boston's 2018 and 2019 1st's lotto protected) as I think Anthony would be a very nice fit in Boston and would finally trigger a real direction from Boston. 

I'd do this

Johnson, Brown, Zeller, Boston 2018, Boston 2019 (both picks lotto protected)

for

Anthony

Post-Trade (2 open roster spots)

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart
SF - Crowder, Green, Young
PF - Anthony, Jerekbo, Mickey
C - Horford, Olynyk

That team to me is the clear #2 in the East and I think would pose some serious problems for the Cavs.  I mean that would force Love and Thompson to guard Crowder and Horford, and I just don't think they could do that (James would likely guard Anthony).