Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo  (Read 41283 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 02:37:01 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Another thing to consider is by showing his hand and how desperately he wants Melo out of NY, Phil is driving down the price of Melo significantly, which wasn't high to begin with.

Hell, now it's even being reported that Phil is willing to move Carmelo to the Clippers WITHOUT getting one of Jordan, Griffin, or Paul in return!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244713/Knicks-Open-To-Dealing-Carmelo-Anthony-To-Clippers-Without-One-Of-Big-3-In-Return

EDIT: Do the Clippers even have any desirable assets whatsoever outside of their Big 3?

Doc might have to part with his son and Jamal Crawford to be able to keep DJ, CP3, Blake and Melo. If I were the Clips I would do it. But Doc is an emotional man, so he won't do it.

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I mean, if they're willing to deal with the Clips without one of the Big 3, then surely a deal for something like Melo and Jennings for Amir, Zeller (salary filler), Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick would do it, right? That's certainly better for a rebuild than anything the Clips can offer, and you can still add several seconds, the Clips protected pick, or something like Mickey to the deal to sweeten the pot even more without giving up crucial core guys.

Hell, I'd be fine with that. Be a contender for two to three seasons while we develop Smart, Brown, and the two Brooklyn picks? I think this roster has a decent chance of knocking off Cleveland:

PG: IT, Jennings
SG: AB, Smart
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Melo, JJ
C: Horford, KO

The issue would be whether or not Melo would agree to come here.

EDIT: And honestly, is that not about as ideal of a roster for Brad's offensive scheme as possible? That's about as dynamic of an offense as you can get with TONS of shooting.

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
For what it's worth, I don't think Melo makes or breaks our defense. Defense is a product of effort, communication, and team practice. Can an all-world defender make an individual impact? Sure. Can a mediocre defender spoil team D schemes? Sure. But frankly, all-world defenders can also miss assignments, and mediocre defenders can play enough team D to not be an issue.

I think our defensive woes are more a function of not great rebounding, inferior desperation / hustle / pride than we had last year, and a huge reliance on IT. As bad as Isaiah is on D, he's that much worse (I would guess) when he's got to shoulder the load offensively.

We also only recently acquired a major piece in Horford, and such moves generally have their growing pains. It can't always be like it was in 07/08.

So, Melo or not, we will still need to make strides on that end - which we can do with a bit more effort and focus.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Carmelo To Boston for
2018 Boston first, Amir, Filler

Jimmy Butler to Boston for
2017 Nets First, AB, Jonas, KO

Horford, Melo, Crowder, Butler, IT - That would arguably be the best team in the East.. granted we would have a extremely thing bench.

The specifics might be a little different, but this is the way to look at any Carmelo trade - try to get him cheap in order to free up some of he current perimeter pieces for a Jimmy Butler trade. Of you can get Carmelo at a steep discount then you don't mind so much paying sticker price for Jimmy Butler and still coming out ahead.

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I mean, if they're willing to deal with the Clips without one of the Big 3, then surely a deal for something like Melo and Jennings for Amir, Zeller (salary filler), Rozier, Young, and the Memphis pick would do it, right? That's certainly better for a rebuild than anything the Clips can offer, and you can still add several seconds, the Clips protected pick, or something like Mickey to the deal to sweeten the pot even more without giving up crucial core guys.

Hell, I'd be fine with that. Be a contender for two to three seasons while we develop Smart, Brown, and the two Brooklyn picks? I think this roster has a decent chance of knocking off Cleveland:

The Clippers can easily surpass that trade.  I mean JJ Redick alone is more valuable than any of the Boston assets you are proposing and Redick, Crawford, Johnson, and a future 1st (2021) is a significantly better trade for NY than the one you are proposing.  NY isn't going to want Boston's crap, which is what that trade is aside from the unknown Memphis pick.

Boston is going to have give up a real asset to get Anthony and not a bunch of "garbage". 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I will pass on Melo. We have chemistry that we don't need blown up.

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Maybe it's more about the Knicks finding a team that Carmelo will waive his no trade clause to play for than it is what assets they can get for him.  They might mainly just want him gone.

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton

The Clippers can easily surpass that trade.  I mean JJ Redick alone is more valuable than any of the Boston assets you are proposing and Redick, Crawford, Johnson, and a future 1st (2021) is a significantly better trade for NY than the one you are proposing.  NY isn't going to want Boston's crap, which is what that trade is aside from the unknown Memphis pick.

Boston is going to have give up a real asset to get Anthony and not a bunch of "garbage".

I dunno, I don't think JJ is more valuable to the Knicks as a franchise for the long term than some of the stuff Boston can send - namely, draft picks that don't start with BKN. We got a lot of 'em. That's what's weird about this - like, is Kevin Love (reported target from Cleveland) really a great option for the Knicks? He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but if you're trading Melo to "go in a different direction," wouldn't you seek players/assets that better align with your franchise cornerstone's timeline? And you own your draft picks, so.... I don't get it.

If I'm Phil, I'm looking for either expiring contracts or young guys with potential + any draft picks I can get my hands on. Although, I guess Reddick is an expiring contract, but still.

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Maybe it's more about the Knicks finding a team that Carmelo will waive his no trade clause to play for than it is what assets they can get for him.  They might mainly just want him gone.
If that is true he'd be on the Cavs today.

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
To Phil, that Memphis pick is worth more than old JJ Reddick. They're trying to rebuild...And Reddick's contract will expire soon.

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

How would they fit salary and not give up significant assets?

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:01 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton

I'd suspect a combo of both. Hence the limit to asking the C's, Clips and Cavs - teams that could offer some value, might be willing to dance, and could be potentially agreeable destinations from Melo's side.

Hey, maybe Melo even told PJ secretly that he'd think about CLE/LAC/BOS. Doubt it, cuz that stuff tends to leak, but who knows.

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

He'd be on the Cavs if they wanted him  ;)
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Yeah, not even close. I'm calling major BS on that. In what world is 32 year old free agent Reddick a better piece to build around than Rozier? The whole point of them trading Melo is to start building around Porzingis, and somehow 32 year old free agent Redick and 36 year old Crawford are those pieces?? lol

The only thing from that package that you can say has any real value to the Knicks is that Clippers pick, but it's value is highly unknown due to being so far into the future. We can easily trump any trade that the Clippers can make without giving up any of our top-tier assets.

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Either way, if we trade for Melo, we might as well trade for Noel so we can have his bird rights. Celtics also have to make sure they don't include a Brooklyn pick. Pretty hard to pull off but possible. I don't think the Knicks want to keep Melo and are more inclined to trade him. He's probably a bad locker room guy and influence on KP.