Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo  (Read 41253 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I would offer 2 second round picks and a box of Fruity Pebbles.

How about Honey Nut Cheerios?
That's right,  Yeah... I thought it was Fruity Pebbles.  Ha...Honey Nut Cheerios!

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Whether you like Carmelo or not, if Melo came here as the "Ray Allen piece" and Ainge had another big trade up his sleeve, then would you make the trade to get Carmelo here?

Otherwise I just see no point at all.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
As long  as they don't want the Nets pick, then I'm ok with it.

I'm not.  He kills your cap space, he doesn't play defense or rebounds well, plus he needs the ball in his hands and he's older.  That to me isn't worth much at all.

This. I'd consider it for Rozier, Amir and Zeller or some combination of 2nd/3rd tier players, but they'd have to throw in their 2018 draft pick. Not us. Them.

Yes, I'm opposed to Melo.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Guys, guys... I mean, what use are 2nd rounders in Danny's hands anyways? I say we give them marginal picks at best since we'll be keeping the superior prospects and are essentially doing them a favor. I can't stand Melo's on-court personality and body language but I don't mind making Melo a part of the show, the whole fit seems pretty questionable though. And I wouldn't trade Crowder or Bradley unless they include another useful player like KOQ.
Since Melo is better suited for the four at this point in his career we should try to hold onto Crowder to play the three.

I'm more inclined to offer Smart since we have Fultz, Ball or Smith coming in next year.

Dude, give them Rozier or even DJ! They are not really talking with any position of leverage since C's don't want or need Melo anyway. Amir, Zeller and Rozier/Young/Etc. with 2 non-Nets first and some 2nd round picks is a better package than any other team can send them if the future is really their focus.

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Hey Danny, you interested in trading us Jaylen Brown and a couple Nets' picks for Carmelo?"

*Danny stifles a burst of laughter*

*Click*
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Carmelo To Boston for
2018 Boston first, Amir, Filler

Jimmy Butler to Boston for
2017 Nets First, AB, Jonas, KO

Horford, Melo, Crowder, Butler, IT - That would arguably be the best team in the East.. granted we would have a extremely thing bench.

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
"Hey Danny, you interested in trading us Jaylen Brown and a couple Nets' picks for Carmelo?"

*Click*

I do imagine that this is pretty much how it went knowing Jackson, which is hysterical.

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

*Click*

I wouldn't even offer that for Jimmy Butler...

Carmelo? LOL.  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Every time I see Melo in the Olympics I think "man I wish he was a Celtic", and every time I see him as a Knick I'm like "what a diva, he'd be a terrible Celtic!"

That said, I'll play this game.

Anthony, Plumlee and Baker for Johnson, Zeller, Olynyk, Rozier, 2017 MIN 2nd, 2019 MEM 1st, 2019 LAC 1st and I'm in.

We would have to sign a free agent center from anywhere, pray Dallas buys out Bogut or something. The bigs rotation of Horford, Anthony, Jerebko, Mickey, and Plumlee could be a disaster. They would def need a vet bigman.

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
If Melo would ok a deal to the Lakers, I see Phil shipping him there..

They won't give up their young prospecting core for an aging all-star whose showing signs of decline.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It was only a matter of time, given the assets we possess.

Hard to imagine Ainge bites, unless he already has something else in play to land an even better player too, in which case this is a Ray Allen type move.

I mean if you move BKN 18 for Melo and BKN 17 for Boogie without gutting the rest of the roster, you have a helluva team.

If you just acquire Melo, you've blown our cap space on an aging star who probably thinks he's much better than he is and hasn't really shown any leadership throughout his career. Meh.
We have to move a guard soon anyways so why not Smart, Celtics 2018 pick and then our young guys who don't play.

I know some posters think Smart doesn't have any trade value but I disagree. He's still young and has a ton of potential. I think he could be the centerpiece to get Melo.

I'd hope we could get someone who fits better in terms of needs, age, talent and cost if we moved both Smart and BKN 18.
My trade proposal is for our pick. Not the Nets pick they owe us.

I missed that, sorry.

But my response would still be the same. Haha.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Another thing to consider is by showing his hand and how desperately he wants Melo out of NY, Phil is driving down the price of Melo significantly, which wasn't high to begin with.

Hell, now it's even being reported that Phil is willing to move Carmelo to the Clippers WITHOUT getting one of Jordan, Griffin, or Paul in return!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244713/Knicks-Open-To-Dealing-Carmelo-Anthony-To-Clippers-Without-One-Of-Big-3-In-Return

EDIT: Do the Clippers even have any desirable assets whatsoever outside of their Big 3?

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If they want to give him up for expirings and Rozier, I'd think about it. But I'm not giving up anything of any real value whatsoever.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
It was only a matter of time, given the assets we possess.

Hard to imagine Ainge bites, unless he already has something else in play to land an even better player too, in which case this is a Ray Allen type move.

I mean if you move BKN 18 for Melo and BKN 17 for Boogie without gutting the rest of the roster, you have a helluva team.

If you just acquire Melo, you've blown our cap space on an aging star who probably thinks he's much better than he is and hasn't really shown any leadership throughout his career. Meh.
We have to move a guard soon anyways so why not Smart, Celtics 2018 pick and then our young guys who don't play.

I know some posters think Smart doesn't have any trade value but I disagree. He's still young and has a ton of potential. I think he could be the centerpiece to get Melo.

I'd hope we could get someone who fits better in terms of needs, age, talent and cost if we moved both Smart and BKN 18.
My trade proposal is for our pick. Not the Nets pick they owe us.

I missed that, sorry.

But my response would still be the same. Haha.
I get it. Melo is an unlikable person and Smart is very likable but we will have a problem next year with too many guards on this team and Melo actually gives us a chance to push the Cavs to 6 games in the ECFs this year and who knows maybe Kyrie or someone else gets injured and opens the door for an upset.

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Another thing to consider is by showing his hand and how desperately he wants Melo out of NY, Phil is driving down the price of Melo significantly, which wasn't high to begin with.

Hell, now it's even being reported that Phil is willing to move Carmelo to the Clippers WITHOUT getting one of Jordan, Griffin, or Paul in return!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244713/Knicks-Open-To-Dealing-Carmelo-Anthony-To-Clippers-Without-One-Of-Big-3-In-Return

EDIT: Do the Clippers even have any desirable assets whatsoever outside of their Big 3?
It would have to be for future unprotected draft picks. Maybe 2021 and 22 first rounders.