Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo  (Read 41279 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I want to win now..get Melo

Me too, and later....Getting Melo gives us a better shot at winning now and still allows us to win later, cashing in the Brooklyn picks for ourselves.

Melo/Horford/IT will give us 3-4 years of contention now and a bridge to the future.

Brown/Smart/Brooklyn'17/Brooklyn'18 will be our core for the future.

If Ainge plays his cards right and with  some luck (ALWAYS needed), we could be more than relevant for 10 years or more.

Of the three teams that Melo has approved, we are the only one with the assets Zen wants: young players and a bunch of non-BK picks.

csfansince60s...this is a great scenario!

TP!!

« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He just needs to agree to playing second or third fiddle in the team, and don't be "The Man" because "The Man" is IT4. The team belongs to IT4 and Avery Bradley.

I don't see the first fiddle second fiddle thing being an issue at all between IT and Carmelo.  Both players just want to win and I think would be happy to have a good player to play with.  There is no need to declare this team belongs to this guy and not that guy.  I think that is just cliche stuff.  Coach Stevens will call the plays at the end of the game and hopefully the guy who has the best look will take the big shots, not necessarily either on forcing a shot.
not too too relevant but I think Melo is actually a good dude. I would enjoy rooting for him.

Price is obviously huge here, but If you can get him for cheap, sign me up and lets attack the 1 seed and a chance to play in the NBA finals.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He had the tail-end of Iverson and Billups in Denver, then the corpse of Billups and Stoudemire in NYK. Hes never been on a good team. Im not ready to blame his playoff w/l record solely on him.

I still think a player of his caliber should have done better .  He has the worst playoff win percentage ever.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220889/carmelo_has_worst_playoff_winning_percentage_in_nba_history

You can't blame all that on his team mates

« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I want to win now..get Melo

Me too, and later....Getting Melo gives us a better shot at winning now and still allows us to win later, cashing in the Brooklyn picks for ourselves.

Melo/Horford/IT will give us 3-4 years of contention now and a bridge to the future.

Brown/Smart/Brooklyn'17/Brooklyn'18 will be our core for the future.

If Ainge plays his cards right and with  some luck (ALWAYS needed), we could be more than relevant for 10 years or more.

Of the three teams that Melo has approved, we are the only one with the assets Zen wants: young players and a bunch of non-BK picks.

csfansince60s...this is a great scenario!

TP!!

TP back atcha and to Phantom. We've been on this Melo train for awhile. Hoping Danny gets on board. CBS already seems to be.

I'd love to see the trade expanded to include KOQ.

Melo and O'Quinn for Rozier/KO/Amir/Zeller and as many non-BK picks as needed.

IT/Smart
Bradley/Green/Young
Crowder/Jaylen/Melo
Melo/Horford/Jerebko
Horford/O'Quinn

Contender for the ECC.

« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Obviously anything is possible.

But I'm getting the vibe now that Carmelo will stay with NY at least until the summer.

Doesn't look like NY will get back much so Phil may elect to keep him.

At least Melo seemed confident he would stay for now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He had the tail-end of Iverson and Billups in Denver, then the corpse of Billups and Stoudemire in NYK. Hes never been on a good team. Im not ready to blame his playoff w/l record solely on him.

I still think a player of his caliber should have done better .  He has the worst playoff win percentage ever.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220889/carmelo_has_worst_playoff_winning_percentage_in_nba_history

why not?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Didn't KG have a bad playoff record before coming to Boston?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Obviously anything is possible.

But I'm getting the vibe now that Carmelo will stay with NY at least until the summer.

Doesn't look like NY will get back much so Phil may elect to keep him.

At least Melo seemed confident he would stay for now.

Lot of posturing going on with all parties to this, including Melo. Aside from the Knicks (Zen) being convinced, Danny has to assess FA: what are our chances of getting Hayward (if he's our primary target) or Milsap (if he's our secondary).

The other big thing that trading for Melo gets us (and any of you capologists out there please let me know if this is correct) is the ability to extend IT this summer as opposed to signing a FA like Hayward/Milsap which then forces us to allow IT to FA in '18 when we can still sign him, but it's not a sure thing. This may or may not appeal to some.

« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Say Phil wants him gone bad and willing to dump salary and include "Willy"

We ad Bostons 2018 and Bostons 2020 1st Round Pick.   

Then we call Miami and see if their expiring contract of J Johnson is available for a second round pick.   Give them some young talent.   

I think this team "could" upset a banged up, tired Cleveland.
 team.

If the "melo" experience back fires we try to trade him....

We add our #1 pick next year and maybe shop the Nets 2018 pick with either Bradley, IT or Smart and then sign the other two.   

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z7rco3s
Diggles

« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

not too too relevant but I think Melo is actually a good dude. I would enjoy rooting for him.

Price is obviously huge here, but If you can get him for cheap, sign me up and lets attack the 1 seed and a chance to play in the NBA finals.

TP.......Melo is someone I could root for too.

« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
I see a problem.... there is only 1 ball last time I checked ;D. Would Melo stop being a selfish player and pass to the open man? Dive for loose balls?I'm not so sure of that.  He's pretty set in his ways at this point in his career, BUT at the right price I would probably give it a shot. No Bkln pics though. 

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

so did Garnet before Boston. Heck if you take out the year with Spree and Sam I Am ihis win percetnage was significantly worse than Anthony. I guess Garnett was a loser as well
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip