Author Topic: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo  (Read 41056 times)

Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-besides-cavs-knicks-reached-out-to-celtics-clippers-about-melo-deal-171840928.html

Reached out is one thing, I doubt Ainge wants any part of melo or his contract.

Doesn't put us over the top this year and he has a nagging shoulder injury that requires surgery.

No thanks

Re: Woj Bomb: Knicks reach out to Celtics on Melo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
Interesting if somehow Melo ends up on the Clippers and we somehow end up with Blake and the Knicks end up with expiring contracts and 2018 picks (or 2017, not the nets one).
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I can imagine they reached out to see if we were interested.

Can't imagine where the overlap between what we'd be willing to give and what they'd be willing to take would be.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If their first "reach out" was to the Cavs for Love, then this one probably asked too much too.

However, three-way trade with the Cavs and Knicks that brought back Love would be interesting.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
As long  as they don't want the Nets pick, then I'm ok with it.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Really difficult to match salaries for Clippers in a trade, its basically 3 max guys and 12 guys on close to minimum contracts, although Crawford, Pierce and Wes Johnson for Melo works on the trade checker

Having said that how many first round picks would the knicks want from the clippers, its not worth it just doing it as a salary dump for expiring contracts, or is it?

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

You are giving away a max salary slot for free agents this summer, for two more years of an aging Melo. Plus the assets they would want via trade, definitely not worth it

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
You don't think Melo puts us in contention this year? I think he does, it's his health after this season I worry about. He's a heck of a rebounder when motivated, and an excellent scorer to pair with IT and Horford. If Stevens can convince him to at least give an effort on defense we would be in great shape. We could then trade for Bogut or Alex Len to fill the hole at center. I'm totally good with it , but at his age he's not worth moving a Nets pick for.

I'm sure that's what Phil asked for though, at least one, if not both of the Nets picks.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

You are giving away a max salary slot for free agents this summer, for two more years of an aging Melo. Plus the assets they would want via trade, definitely not worth it

If it comes down to trading for Melo now or signing Hayward this summer, then I'm ok with trading for Melo.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
he fits, they just won't agree on acquisition cost.  danny's not giving up the good picks or the good players.    i'm not worried about free agents this summer,  the celts won't get two anyways. 

does it make sense for the knicks to just want to dump his salary?

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I believe the rumors.

We saw James Young and Mickey get some minutes recently. The Knicks might have asked to see them before adding them to a package such as Smart, Young, Mickey etc.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
You don't think Melo puts us in contention this year? I think he does, it's his health after this season I worry about. He's a heck of a rebounder when motivated, and an excellent scorer to pair with IT and Horford. If Stevens can convince him to at least give an effort on defense we would be in great shape. We could then trade for Bogut or Alex Len to fill the hole at center. I'm totally good with it , but at his age he's not worth moving a Nets pick for.

I'm sure that's what Phil asked for though, at least one, if not both of the Nets picks.

He can't play the 4, he would get worn down on defense, which means he's playing the 3 and taking most of Crowder's mins. His defense is atrocious, whatever he does on the offensive end, he's going to give up as a net negative on the defensive end.

Isaiah is already a liability on defense in the playoffs, you are exacerbating this by throwing Melo out there with Isaiah as a closing lineup in the playoffs.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It was only a matter of time, given the assets we possess.

Hard to imagine Ainge bites, unless he already has something else in play to land an even better player too, in which case this is a Ray Allen type move.

I mean if you move BKN 18 for Melo and BKN 17 for Boogie without gutting the rest of the roster, you have a helluva team.

If you just acquire Melo, you've blown our cap space on an aging star who probably thinks he's much better than he is and hasn't really shown any leadership throughout his career. Meh.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
He would actually work in this offense... and as bad as it sounds would be a upgrade defensively ...

The Knicks are desperate to get rid of him and the price will continue to go down ... Cavs dont want him and LAC wont get rid of their core to match salaries. The Celtics have the expiring salaries to match along with some pieces to entice Phil ...

I would assume Phil is going to ask for Brown and a pick with Johnson and Jorekbo to fill salaries...

You get that top of the line scorer and keep those Nets picks...

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

If it comes down to trading for Melo now or signing Hayward this summer, then I'm ok with trading for Melo.

Agree. I'd like to see what the potential offer is before dismissing the idea. He's talented. Therefore, I think he could help the Celtics.