Author Topic: What is Will Barton's value around the league?  (Read 1073 times)

What is Will Barton's value around the league?
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Just interested. On the front page of CB there's an article about Nurkic, the Denver SB page think Zeller and the MIN 2nd would be enough.

I think Zeller might be kept on the chance that a trade can be done for a star on draft night, especially given we may have the 1st overall pick. So if the trade became;

Bos gets: Barton, Nurkic

Denver gets: Jerebko, Mickey, Min 2nd, Det 2nd, Cle 2nd

Does that sound fair? Or would the addition of Barton warrant more going to Denver? I'm not sure I'd do the deal at all but value wise I'm interested.

Re: What is Will Barton's value around the league?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wouldn't complicate the deal by bringing Barton into it.  He doesn't seem like a 'Celtic' to me.  He shoots and needs the ball to be effective.  Does he play any defense?  Honest question, I really don't know.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I rather swap out Zeller for Jerebko, but either way I'm fine with it. Mickey is garbage. Nurkic is a very talented young big. Barton is an upgrade over Green. Overall, this is a trade that makes us better immediately and doesn't hurt us going forward.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wouldn't complicate the deal by bringing Barton into it.  He doesn't seem like a 'Celtic' to me.  He shoots and needs the ball to be effective.  Does he play any defense?  Honest question, I really don't know.

No one on Denver plays that much defense.  Although the rate the Celtics have been going, no one here does either.

I think he'd be an upgrade on Gerald Green -- a month or so ago I saw the Nuggets were looking for a lotto-protected 1st rounder.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Just interested. On the front page of CB there's an article about Nurkic, the Denver SB page think Zeller and the MIN 2nd would be enough.

I think Zeller might be kept on the chance that a trade can be done for a star on draft night, especially given we may have the 1st overall pick. So if the trade became;

Bos gets: Barton, Nurkic

Denver gets: Jerebko, Mickey, Min 2nd, Det 2nd, Cle 2nd

Does that sound fair? Or would the addition of Barton warrant more going to Denver? I'm not sure I'd do the deal at all but value wise I'm interested.

It doesn't even sound close to being fair.  Barton is a 14 ppg scorer who also gives them over 4 rpg and 3 apg.  He'll cost you at least a low to mid first rounder himself.  Plus he's signed for next year at 3.5 million.     

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
If it'd really only cost some salary and the Minny 2nd for Nurkic, count me in. I knew they were trying hard to trade him, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Like others have said, though, I'd keep Zeller for trade bait around the draft for matching salary reasons. Young and the Minny 2nd for Nurkic works for me, though I'd still prefer a Boogie or Noel trade first.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
If it'd really only cost some salary and the Minny 2nd for Nurkic, count me in. I knew they were trying hard to trade him, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Like others have said, though, I'd keep Zeller for trade bait around the draft for matching salary reasons. Young and the Minny 2nd for Nurkic works for me, though I'd still prefer a Boogie or Noel trade first.

From the Denver Post:

"Still, there are players on the Nuggets’ roster that could appeal to other teams as the deadline nears. Will Barton is one of those players, and Dempsey suggests Denver would have “no problem” landing a first-round pick for Barton. However, he has expressed interest in remaining with the Nuggets, and the team seems committed to keeping him.

The Nuggets are more amenable to a trade involving Jusuf Nurkic, since he hasn’t been thrilled with his role – or lack thereof – this season. According to Dempsey, Denver is “most certainly” seeking a first-round pick in a deal involving Nurkic, though realistically it would have to be a late first-rounder."

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't see how Barton helps us, unless he gets minutes at SF. Would that be the plan? Can he defend small forwards?

Otherwise, Bradley does everything better, IMO. I'd rather play Smart instead of Barton too, unless you need situational shooting. And giving up a first round pick for someone to replace Gerald Green seems odd, particularly with Jaylen Brown on the roster.

Nurkic for a late first or early second seems like a winner though. If he shows real value, great. If not, you don't lose much.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

From the Denver Post:

"Still, there are players on the Nuggets’ roster that could appeal to other teams as the deadline nears. Will Barton is one of those players, and Dempsey suggests Denver would have “no problem” landing a first-round pick for Barton. However, he has expressed interest in remaining with the Nuggets, and the team seems committed to keeping him.

The Nuggets are more amenable to a trade involving Jusuf Nurkic, since he hasn’t been thrilled with his role – or lack thereof – this season. According to Dempsey, Denver is “most certainly” seeking a first-round pick in a deal involving Nurkic, though realistically it would have to be a late first-rounder."

Yeah, I figured a 2nd round pick wouldn't be enough, though it's hard to see what team would be willing to pay that for Nurkic given the glut of young big men across the league and the lack of those types of assets for those teams actually looking for a young center like that.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Between Bradley, Smart, Crowder, Brown, and Green, I'm not sure where Will Barton fits in this roster.

I'd definitely be interested in Nurkic, though, at that price. But as jpotter says, I'd prioritize him below Noel.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

From the Denver Post:

Thanks for the info, TP. I don't really have an interest in either guy but it would add options if there was the possibility of a draft night trade. Nurkic has too much overlap with Zizic so I only see him as a short term fix and i see better short term options out there. Barton is alright but I think the stats overrate him, also he is at a position of depth for us.