Poll

If we are lucky enough, Who do we take with the #1 pick ?

Lonzo Ball
2 (4.5%)
Markelle Fultz?
41 (93.2%)
other (please name)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: And with the number one pick, the Boston Celtics select....? Fultz or Ball?  (Read 5879 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
At this stage (and there's still a while left), if we keep this pick and get lucky enough to get #1, who are you taking?

This will be one of the most important decisions the Celtics make in the past 25 years.
So who should be our #1 pick?

Please don't say 'we should trade it for xxxx' because this is about a scenario where Danny keeps makes the pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Fultz and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Ball looks like a fine player, but Fultz looks franchise to me. If you were going to design a PG prospect for the current age, Fultz would basically be it. He has shored up some of his weaknesses (inability to go left) and continues to provide highlight reel plays on the defensive end.

The kid can finish with either hand near the bucket, has the most advanced pull up game I have seen since Kyrie, and has an incredible frame for his position. And if you watch closely, its almost like the game is already slowing down for him. He almost always makes the right offensive play. He has kyrie esque one handed finishes at the rim in some games.

In terms of playmaking, he looks utterly elite. In my opinion, he is second only to Ball, but his offensive game is so far advanced (in terms of scoring) that it isn't a discussion. Fultz' feel for the game harkens a bit to young CP3.

And on top of all that, he has thunder dunks in traffic every couple of games to remind you of how athletic he is. Don't even get me started on the fact that he has multiple pin blocks on the backboard as a pg this year.

The other thing people overlook is that he has incredible versatility. He is almost as deadly playing off the ball as he is at playing on the ball. He can play next to a 2 or a 1, which makes his fit here perfect.

I believe he is a can't miss prospect. I see him as a weird mix between a Kyrie/Harden/D Russell mold.
#JKJB

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Jonathan Issac...from Florida State University

(Celtics fans boo and complain we drafted the wrong guy, when the pick actually makes sense)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Fultz is better

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Fultz is the type of player that you possibly think about trading up for. That is how good he is.  So Boston gets say the number 2 3 or 4 pick. You package that pick with some of the insane assets to get the number 1 pick. If this is not available you may want to think about trading down.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

(Celtics fans boo and complain we drafted the wrong guy, when the pick actually makes sense)

No, it doesn't.

Issac is currently the #8 player on Draft Express. I haven't seen him higher than 4th and most have him somewhere between 7 and 8. So even if the pick "makes sense" from a fit standpoint, it doesn't make sense from a drafting standpoint because you're leaving significant value on the table.

Let's say that you want to get Issac and you want to be conservative so you move to #4 to get him. That means the team moving up needs to offer much more in order to get to #1 to grab Fultz. I'm not sold on Issac (he had a good week but I'm not a bandwagoner) and even if he's the right guy for this team he's not #1 material. The best teams fit the best talent into their schemes but you first need talent and Issac isn't the most talented guy in the draft at this junction.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I got Ball. He would make everyone around him even better and we have a deep team of skilled players so it makes sense.

With his unselfish play style he would fit in right away. He also has shown an ability to hit from range so you can play him off the ball as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:36:10 PM by TrueFan »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Fultz will make things easier
I got Ball. He would make everyone around him even better and we have a deep team of skilled players so it makes sense.

With his unselfish play style he would fit in right away. He also has shown an ability to hit from range so you can play him off the ball as well.

I think he could be interesting here... I think with taking Ball, an input from Stevens is in order as to whatever system is going to be place with him as the catalyst and it will probably need to be faster than it is now, as C's don't jack up shots so early in the clock like UCLA.

Everything will have to break right for Lonzo Ball to be a star.   

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I TOTALLY second this!!!  This is the franchise pick from this draft!!!!

Smitty77

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Is it strange that I don't want to watch Lonzo Ball jack 3's? I'd rather watch Fultz if there was a choice.

I think both will be good players.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Fultz hands down. This guy is an freak.

And Isaac looks good, but he ain't worth anywhere near a top 4 pick.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

No, it doesn't.

Issac is currently the #8 player on Draft Express. I haven't seen him higher than 4th and most have him somewhere between 7 and 8. So even if the pick "makes sense" from a fit standpoint, it doesn't make sense from a drafting standpoint because you're leaving significant value on the table.

Let's say that you want to get Issac and you want to be conservative so you move to #4 to get him. That means the team moving up needs to offer much more in order to get to #1 to grab Fultz. I'm not sold on Issac (he had a good week but I'm not a bandwagoner) and even if he's the right guy for this team he's not #1 material. The best teams fit the best talent into their schemes but you first need talent and Issac isn't the most talented guy in the draft at this junction.

I will GUARANTEE you that Isaac WILL go in the top 5 of this draft and likely in the top 4!!!!  We also ONLY have a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick IF the Nets have the worst record!!!  Therefore, we are likely picking 2, 3, or 4.  It will not be a REACH by June and I worry that someone us takes him before us!!!

Have you watched this young man??

Smitty77

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Fultz hands down. This guy is an freak.

And Isaac looks good, but he ain't worth anywhere near a top 4 pick.

What?  Have you watched a COMPLETE game he has played of late???

Smitty77

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Fultz, no brainer.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dennis Smith.

Just have a feeling.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain