Author Topic: Ainge is an Evil Genius  (Read 1793 times)

Ainge is an Evil Genius
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Last year generally considered a weak draft what did Danny do?

He drafted a SF #3 a PF #16 and a real Center #23.

BPA was Kris Dunn, but he was thinking forward that he almost certainly will draft a Guard with the 2017 Nets pick and he's right.

This draft is crazy stacked at guard.

Five of the top seven players are guards. Four of those are point guards. Two Small forwards, make up the top seven.

I bet Ainge like every single guard prospect better than Kris Dunn in the top seven.

And my gut tells me Ainge would take Jackson over Brown given the choice, however I think Danny would stick with Brown over Tatum.

We won't draft a SF because of Crowder and Brown. So we are going to draft a Guard.

Fultz
 Ball
 Smith JR
 Fox
 Monk
 Ntilikina

Isaac is the wildcard. I could see that.

Re: Ainge is an Evil Genius
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:21:09 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

BPA was Kris Dunn, but he was thinking forward that he almost certainly will draft a Guard with the 2017 Nets pick and he's right.

Five of the top seven players are guards. Four of those are point guards. Two Small forwards, make up the top seven.

I bet Ainge like every single guard prospect better than Kris Dunn in the top seven.

And my gut tells me Ainge would take Jackson over Brown given the choice, however I think Danny would stick with Brown over Tatum.

We won't draft a SF because of Crowder and Brown. So we are going to draft a Guard.

Fultz
 Ball
 Smith JR
 Fox
 Monk
 Ntilikina

If we slid out of the top 2, I could see Danny taking a flyer on Isaac - if no trades present themselves..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Interesting thought. Now Danny needs to keep the pick until the draft to prove your point ! But this would make sense indeed that he was one step ahead

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
In this guard heavy era, we do need a scoring guard in that team. The absence of AB is proving my point.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:28:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
BPA was Kris Dunn,

Doesn't look like it now, does it?

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
BPA was Kris Dunn,

Doesn't look like it now, does it?

Could have said the same for guys like Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, DeAndre Jordan and many other players who looked trash in their rookie years and went on to improve dramatically after the fact.

Dunn has all the tools, I would be surprised if he doesn't develop into a very good player. Also considering how bad EVERYBODY in this draft looks right now...Jaylen Brown isn't exactly lighting it up, and he's looking like one of the top 5 rookies right now. 

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Fultz
 Ball
 Smith JR
 Fox
 Monk
 Ntilikina

If I were Ainge I would be thinking of trading that pick for the first All-Star caliber player that comes up.

Reason Danny didn't use his picks on guards?  Because we already have (arguably) a top 2 PG and top 10 SG in the East. 

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Fultz
 Ball
 Smith JR
 Fox
 Monk
 Ntilikina

If I were Ainge I would be thinking of trading that pick for the first All-Star caliber player that comes up.

Reason Danny didn't use his picks on guards?  Because we already have (arguably) a top 2 PG and top 10 SG in the East.

Crimson I think the odds are 80% we keep the pick and draft a Guard. Just like last year.

No trades to be had.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
You're using hindsight very liberally here.  Last June when the picks were made, Harry Giles and Josh Jackson were fairly widely regarded as being 2 of the top 3 prospects of this draft.  Jayson Tatum and Ivan Rabb were also very highly regarded.

I think he simply took Jaylen #3 because he thought Jaylen had the highest potential of all the players available.  He didn't want BPA there, he wanted highest potential.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
You're using hindsight very liberally here.  Last June when the picks were made, Harry Giles and Josh Jackson were fairly widely regarded as being 2 of the top 3 prospects of this draft.  Jayson Tatum and Ivan Rabb were also very highly regarded.

I think he simply took Jaylen #3 because he thought Jaylen had the highest potential of all the players available.  He didn't want BPA there, he wanted highest potential.

Giles was awesome but has had horrible injury history.

It could be argued Brown has more upside than Jackson or Tatum.

He knew how guard heavy this draft was and he new how bad the bugs were, hence drafting Yabu and Zizic.

Hasn't it been since Sully and Melo that we took bigs on the first round?

Mickey was a second rounder.