Author Topic: Celtics have no guard depth  (Read 4608 times)

Celtics have no guard depth
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Outlandishl? Blasphemy? With one injury our team struggles against the likes of Portland and New York.

Thomas
 Bradley
 Smart

That's all we have for guards you can count on. Take Bradley and his 15 to 20 point nights out and we are a different team.

That's why  I'm warming up to Dennis Smith JR. I'm convinced he makes our team significantly better, as would Fultz and Ball.

Smarts a fantastic combo guard, to have around and can fill lots of roles, (except shooting) however you can't rely on him to score.

Thomas, Bradley and Smith would score a ton of points and Avery and Smart can do the dirty work. We have Brown who should improve defensively as well.

Re: Celtics have no guard depth
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
AB is kind of a special case, he is our 2nd leading scorer, and leads the team in rebounding. hes essentially our center.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 12:47:10 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
AB is kind of a special case, he is our 2nd leading scorer, and leads the team in rebounding. hes essentially our center.

But do you hear what I'm saying Denis?

Young is Trash
 Rozier is talented but not good now
 Green is Nuts
 Brown is a SF

Bradley gets hurt a lot, Smart as well but he's been good.

We need another awesome guard. Not a trash guard.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

Young is Trash
 Green is Nuts
 Brown is a SF

Yeah, If we have a top 2 pick, its gotta be Ball or Fultz.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

And my main point is that if Fultz, Ball, and Dennis Smith, are projected to be awesome NBA players, I have no qualms abut it whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Young is Trash
 Green is Nuts
 Brown is a SF

Yeah, If we have a top 2 pick, its gotta be Ball or Fultz.

Oh I'm with you 100% there no doubt.. TP

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:24 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Outlandish and blasphemy.  We have three very good guards and a decent prospect in Rozier.  If Ball and Fultz are way ahead of other prospects, then we should draft one of them if we end up with a top two pick.  But I'm hoping Tatum or Jackson stand out as that's a better team fit. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:14:26 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:50 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Outlandish and blasphemy.  We have three very good guards and a decent prospect in Rozier.  If Ball and Fultz are way ahead as prospects, then we should draft one of them if we end up with a top two pick.  But I'm hoping Tatum or Jackson stand out as that's a better team fit.

But you just said it. "I'm hoping Jackson and Tatum stand out, there a better fit"

And there lies the issue. The top three prospects are all guards. Point guards to be exact.

Although both Fultz and Ball are very athletic and long so they have defensive flexibility at least.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 01:20:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@KGLL I love your posts but your logic here is faulty.

When a starter gets injured, your team takes a hit.

This doesn't mean you lack depth, it means that your starter is better than his replacement.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:18 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Outlandish and blasphemy.  We have three very good guards and a decent prospect in Rozier.  If Ball and Fultz are way ahead as prospects, then we should draft one of them if we end up with a top two pick.  But I'm hoping Tatum or Jackson stand out as that's a better team fit.

But you just said it. "I'm hoping Jackson and Tatum stand out, there a better fit"

And there lies the issue. The top three prospects are all guards. Point guards to be exact.

Although both Fultz and Ball are very athletic and long so they have defensive flexibility at least.

The fact that they are both tall and long would mean they would fit well with our current undersized guards.  I don't yet know they are better players than Jackson or Tatum as there is still a ways to go and I reserve the right to change my mind.  I would rather a wing than a pg, so I'm hoping to see one of them to shine.  Drafting a pg means we would need to make a trade.  It's still early. 

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:28:56 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
Outlandish and blasphemy.  We have three very good guards and a decent prospect in Rozier.  If Ball and Fultz are way ahead of other prospects, then we should draft one of them if we end up with a top two pick.  But I'm hoping Tatum or Jackson stand out as that's a better team fit.
If yourgoing for fit, Isaac might be the best bet

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Crazy game from Denis today.

He reminds me of peak Rose
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If yourgoing for fit, Isaac might be the best bet

Isaac is the least polished among the top wings. Both Tatum and Jackson are NBA ready.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Which rookie guards have the kind of impact we need.  Isn't the question "will Smart and Rozier grow to fill the role before a rookie we bring in next year becomes of use"?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 01:48:35 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Front court depth is much worse.    Not even one guy who can rebound.    Bigs get out played nearly every game.