Author Topic: Celtics (26-17) at Wizards (24-20) Game #44 1/24/17  (Read 43995 times)

Re: Celtics (26-17) at Wizards (24-20) Game #44 1/24/17
« Reply #495 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931
https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/824095236951511043?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Isaiah Thomas: "I remember last year, dudes didn't like playing against us."

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/824094801582850048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Isaiah Thomas: "Our defense isn't where we wanted to be but that's been the story of our whole season."

Only took these guys half a season to realize this. Perhaps this was the embarrassment we needed. I've been saying that for awhile now, though.  :(

It just ticks me off, because we're just simply not playing up to our potential. If we could just up our defense to somewhere even close to what it was last year, then I think we're clearly the second best team in the East. But we've maybe played one or two games all season with the type of defensive intensity that we played with all last year.

You know what would bring back the intensity and edge? A trade. You don't want to bring it on D every night? Bye-bye.

Agreed.

Yep. Definitely a lack of holding players accountable.

I know I sound like a broken record, but a Noel trade makes a ton of sense for what this team needs going forward. And he's young enough to be a core part going forward.

« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2017, 12:02:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Isaiah Thomas: "Our defense isn't where we wanted to be but that's been the story of our whole season."

Only took these guys half a season to realize this. Perhaps this was the embarrassment we needed. I've been saying that for awhile now, though.  :(

It just ticks me off, because we're just simply not playing up to our potential. If we could just up our defense to somewhere even close to what it was last year, then I think we're clearly the second best team in the East. But we've maybe played one or two games all season with the type of defensive intensity that we played with all last year.

You know what would bring back the intensity and edge? A trade. You don't want to bring it on D every night? Bye-bye.

Agreed.

I know I sound like a broken record, but a Noel trade makes a ton of sense for what this team needs going forward. And he's young enough to be a core part going forward.

I doubt the Rozier + pick package most here want would get it done.  But, I do wonder what the asking price is...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I see I missed another historically soft game by Horford

« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:14 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I see I missed another historically soft game by Horford

It's just surprising to me, in general, that we approach games with the mentality of out-scoring the other team.

« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2017, 12:39:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Agreed.

I doubt the Rozier + pick package most here want would get it done.  But, I do wonder what the asking price is...

Yeah, I doubt it is anymore, though it also depends on what other teams are offering, too. He's certainly not worth any of the Brooklyn picks, so it'd be interesting to see what he ultimately gets traded for.

« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:33 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-012417-lack-of-impact-on-ball-could-impact-rotation?sf52662459=1

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Brad Stevens said Tuesday night that the Celtics aren’t impacting the ball enough with their defense to win games consistently.

He also quietly suggested that such a fact could impact the team’s rotation.

Following a game during which the Celtics allowed their opponent, the Washington Wizards, to score 123 points and to shoot 57.8 percent from the field, defense – or lack thereof – was the topic of interest inside Boston’s locker room.

The Celtics have talked over and over about their defensive deficiencies and how to fix them. However, their issues have remained, and that’s why Stevens is beginning to look in new directions for a possible spark.

“I’m just looking for someone that will do that consistently,” Stevens said after being asked about the extended playing time he afforded Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier and James Young Tuesday night. “There’s plenty of opportunity for those guys to take spots and to be into people and to be aggressive and to rebound for us and to make us a better defense, because we’re not good enough.”

In other words, roles are up for grabs.

Jae Crowder said that the coaches do not discuss such topics with the players, so they do not know whose playing time could be on the chopping block. However, Marcus Smart agreed that Stevens’ request for more impact on the ball extends to all five positions.

“Everyone,” he said of who must answer the call. “From me down to our bigs down to our guards. Everyone. We’ve got to get into guys and make them uncomfortable.”

Young, who played nearly 13 minutes Tuesday night in his first action since Dec. 2, believes that he is capable of providing such a spark.

“I just want to bring energy on defense,” he told Celtics.com after the loss. “It seems like overall we just haven’t been all together as a defensive unit. It’s got to start with somebody.

“I think we’ve just got to go out there and just play harder defense. Us young guys have a lot of energy, so I think if we do it when we get the opportunity, that might help us stay on the floor more.”

Crowder conceded that if Young or any of the other younger players can provide what Stevens is asking for, that they deserve to be awarded with a role in the rotation, regardless of whose minutes they would be stealing.

“That’s your teammate at the end of the day,” Crowder said. “We all play for one another, so if another guy comes in and impacts the ball the way Coach would like, he should play.”

At the end of the day, the Celtics know that they have it in them. They impacted the ball at a high level last season with nearly the exact same team; only Jared Sullinger and Evan Turner departed from the rotation, and only Al Horford and Jaylen Brown were brought in. Yet somehow, they have fallen off defensively.

“Last year we were the team that guys hated to play against,” said Smart. “This year, everybody wants to play us because we aren’t doing everything we used to do in the past at the defensive end.”

He continued, “We need to get into guys. We need to make guys feel us. We’re playing off guys and they’re feeling really comfortable”

The Celtics have won more games than not this season and sit as the third seed in the Eastern Conference despite all of the negative talk about their defense. However, they are fully aware that in order to be a real threat, they need to impact the ball at a higher level.

The current rotation has not done so at the level Stevens expects. As a result, changes may be coming.

I mean, we've heard this before from Brad with no real results, but this is the first night that he went deep into the bench playing Young and Mickey several minutes looking for an answer.

Obviously, Brad is searching for something with our D, but I'm interested in seeing who he's really talking about regarding rotation spots and minutes being up for grab.

I'd say Amir is pretty much in the doghouse at this moment, because other than a brief run earlier this month and in December, he's been terrible all season long. I'd say KO and JJ are in there, too, which shows how big of a problem our bigs have been.

But I'd like to see how he deals with IT, Al, and Jae, who all have been very questionable at best defensively lately. It's hard to cut their minutes with how much we rely on them, but they've got to be held accountable somehow.

I still find it hilarious that Amir is still starting with as terrible as he's been. We should get JJ or KO starting tomorrow with it being Houston anyways, but I'd like to see that switch long-term. Amir should primarily be going against bench players at this point in time.

« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2017, 01:21:13 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Agreed.

Yeah, I doubt it is anymore, though it also depends on what other teams are offering, too. He's certainly not worth any of the Brooklyn picks, so it'd be interesting to see what he ultimately gets traded for.

Would you trade Rozier for Richaun Holmes?  Given the BKN pick and Smart's improvement, and team need... I think I would.

« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
We're now 4-4 with Avery  out..

That probably increases his trade value considerably.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
And now we see the downside of committing so much money and years to a guy like Horford, making him pretty much untradeable.  These deals look great till the player shows up and under-performs. 

It's pretty obvious that he needs a better player along side him than Olynyk, an aging Johnson or Jerebko.  But then again why commit that much money to a guy who's NOT able to move the needle on his own?

« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2017, 03:25:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Definitely feeling the pain of missing Bradley.  Easy to forget he's been a borderline allstar this season.  Our more consistent shooter and a 1st team all defender.

« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2017, 04:48:31 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
We're now 4-4 with Avery  out..

That probably increases his trade value considerably.

That certainly increases his value amongst the Celtics

« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Washington wanted this game more than we did folks.   You could tell that from the first tip off.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:40:55 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #507 on: January 25, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
And now we see the downside of committing so much money and years to a guy like Horford, making him pretty much untradeable.  These deals look great till the player shows up and under-performs. 

It's pretty obvious that he needs a better player along side him than Olynyk, an aging Johnson or Jerebko.  But then again why commit that much money to a guy who's NOT able to move the needle on his own?

Because Danny's plan was to entice Durant. And even if that plan eventually failed, Horford is a great fit on paper and this team was in a dire need of a center.

« Reply #508 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48

Because Danny's plan was to entice Durant. And even if that plan eventually failed, Horford is a great fit on paper and this team was in a dire need of a center.

agreed. You will say Horford is wasted money only if you look at the short term. The goal was never to win a championship with Olynyk and Johnson next to him. But wait when he plays with another dominant big. I'm pretty sure lots of people will say it was genius to sign him.

Just be patient. Celtics never said they wanted to contend right now, we did.

« Reply #509 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

Bingo. We need Danny "I'll-trade-you-to-Sacramento-faster-than-you-can-say-'Jamie-Collins-to-Cleveland'" Ainge.

And a TP to Smart for actually showing some emotion. Normally, I'd say keep that stuff in the locker room, but he reminded me of the manager who gets himself ejected from the baseball game to get his team moving.

Mike