Author Topic: Would Paul George be available this summer?  (Read 2174 times)

Would Paul George be available this summer?
« on: January 23, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I know it's not very likely, but watched a couple of Pacers game recently, he just doesn't look very aggressive at all. Maybe he's unhappy about how this Pacers roster has turned out?

Bird said they want to keep PG, and PG has a lot of $ reason's to stay, but the fact is, PG's career in Pacers have been going downhill for a few years, they used to compete with LBJ in the conference finals, now they stuck in no man's land, PG is in his prime now, but Miles Turner is still too young.

George can jump out of his contract in the summer of 2018, so if the Pacers feels he doesn't want to stay, they'll have to trade him before 2017-2018 season.

He's basically on the same level as Jimmy Butler, if he's available, do you think he's worth the 2017 Nets pick + another non-Nets pick + Crowder and fillers? The Pacers can rebuild around Turner and whoever they draft in 2017, and Celtics get a semi superstar who's 1 year younger than Butler and naturally plays 3.

Re: Would Paul George be available this summer?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The problem is pretty much the same reason the Pacers *could* trade him (he's an expiring deal).

Yeah, you can take the risk for the team, but if PG13 decides to leave after 2018 and not re-sign with BOS, then you gave up those assets for essentially nothing.

That's why people are high on Butler around here, not necessarily because of his lethal two-way presence (which is great btw), but he's under contract at a "bargain" the next three years.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Paul George is much better than Butler and plays a much more important position.  That being said, if we traded for him this summer, I don't know what I would give up exactly since he could walk.  I would give the BK 17 pick unless we are getting Fultz, then I wouldn't do it.  Otherwise, it is probably worth it.  We would be able to actually match up with the Cavs at that point and we'd clearly be better than Toronto.  It probably doesn't win us a championship, but we'd still have Nets 18 and Zizic coming and a bunch of other picks on top of that.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Paul George is much better than Butler and plays a much more important position.  That being said, if we traded for him this summer, I don't know what I would give up exactly since he could walk.  I would give the BK 17 pick unless we are getting Fultz, then I wouldn't do it.  Otherwise, it is probably worth it.  We would be able to actually match up with the Cavs at that point and we'd clearly be better than Toronto.  It probably doesn't win us a championship, but we'd still have Nets 18 and Zizic coming and a bunch of other picks on top of that.

Butler has certainly been the better player this year, and both are small forwards, but hey other than that you're spot on.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we got the #1 pick I think he would be.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why exactly? I would think George would be wanting tt play with established NBA players and stars before 19 year old rookies. Most 19 year olds need about 3 or more years to establish their games. By the time that rookie gets the point of being able to consistently contribute winning basketball to a team, George's contract will be just about over. Fans might think that vets would want to play with rookies, even highly drafted rookies, but they dont. They want to play with vets who will help them win a championship, not rookies who they have to teach how to be an NBA player.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Why exactly? I would think George would be wanting tt play with established NBA players and stars before 19 year old rookies. Most 19 year olds need about 3 or more years to establish their games. By the time that rookie gets the point of being able to consistently contribute winning basketball to a team, George's contract will be just about over. Fans might think that vets would want to play with rookies, even highly drafted rookies, but they dont. They want to play with vets who will help them win a championship, not rookies who they have to teach how to be an NBA player.

I think he's suggesting that Larry would only make PG available if it was in exchange for the #1 pick and players, as in, if we for the #1 pick, George would be available because Bird would find the pick enticing.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think he's suggesting that Larry would only make PG available if it was in exchange for the #1 pick and players, as in, if we for the #1 pick, George would be available because Bird would find the pick enticing.
Maybe...lets see what Smoke had to say

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
PG ....has looked less than excited recently and not particularly energetic.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:16:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Paul George had 31 points and 7 rebounds tonight.

.... And they LOST to the Knicks 109-103 thanks to Carmelo and his 26 points (Carmelo another "trade rumor" around here these days..)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Possibly but I think old PG is slightly past his prime after the injury.
Is he a top 10 player?
i'd prefer Jimmy Butler at this point.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I would think so.  Brooklyn '17 pick + Myles Turner has to be a pretty tempting reboot option for the Pacers who don't look like they'll be able to put a contending team together during PG's prime.  It seems to me the Brooklyn '17 pick would be the highest offer out there for them to take too.

Maybe the Spurs would be interested in trying to acquire Teague?  Kyle Anderson for Teague?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur