Author Topic: just a thought  (Read 2233 times)

just a thought
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the more publicity and hopefully deals isaiah gets nike etc-banners in south station
and the more linkage to like garnett and some of greats pierce ,bird,cowens
-he admires brady and brady has been with one team and one coach and owner
this might give him some lattitude in the size of brinks truck-
he wants to put a banner up in rafters and a legacy

hopefully his chip doesn't scream i got to have as much as the big guys that are all stars-
starting over someplace else ,where he would be the prime mover of this franchise with two years already put in
then again maybe danny just signs him,wyc said he would retain players to horford-

Re: just a thought
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Isaiah could get it done, but I don't like him pointing to his wrist as if there's an Isaiah Time watch.

He needs to become perfect on offense. That is his final test. That means he has to make his teammates better. If he is just a small 28 point shooter, is that worth $30 million?

Bradley gives you offense and two-way excellence. So Al, Avery and Isaiah will all get $30 million? Smart, Olynyk and Jae will want their $20 million Evan Turner money. Jaylen Brown will have broken out and will merit his 20 million for a second contract. I guess a few losses and days off without hoops has brought me to the treadmill ledge of despair. It's looking like the salary cap will need to be raised to $300 million to create a dynasty. And I think there's a hard cap, so it's not even possible.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Isaiah could get it done, but I don't like him pointing to his wrist as if there's an Isaiah Time watch.

He needs to become perfect on offense. That is his final test. That means he has to make his teammates better. If he is just a small 28 point shooter, is that worth $30 million?

Bradley gives you offense and two-way excellence. So Al, Avery and Isaiah will all get $30 million? Smart, Olynyk and Jae will want their $20 million Evan Turner money. Jaylen Brown will have broken out and will merit his 20 million for a second contract. I guess a few losses and days off without hoops has brought me to the treadmill ledge of despair. It's looking like the salary cap will need to be raised to $300 million to create a dynasty. And I think there's a hard cap, so it's not even possible.

I see what you're saying. But we do keep raising the bar for this kid, don't we? Like 28 ppg on really good efficiency? We act like that's nothing now. Two years ago we would have thought we needed to trade the Brooklyn picks to get that from any player.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm very worried about the cap space and players who will demand big money.
I get it that Ainge went all in with Horford hoping Durant will sign. But now we are stuck with big money for Al and other players salivating at his income.
Wyc will go over the cap for contention only, not with our actual core.
Danny has a tough thing to do the next to years to make everybody happy.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
It really is the elephant in the room to go with lousy officiating.

I agree it's unfair that the bar has been raised with Isaiah. Unfortunately, he had to mention the brinks truck. Maybe it was just a bad joke.

But there he is game after game pointing to his wrist. It's okay to be Muhammad Ali if it can be backed up. Maybe it was just a couple bad games. Maybe it's Brad's fault. Maybe I have had the biggest knee-jerk reaction of all time.

I have changed as a Celtics fan since Jae's meltdown.

Today I was thinking about a looming trade including Zeller. But the trade could be simply in my head and it won't happen. Zeller is a negative asset. He is only useful to include in a trade for a player who makes decent money.

I want to evaluate Isaiah, but it is getting increasingly difficult with the merry-go-round of injuries and the softness up front.

I am probably suffering Stockholm Syndrome due to this kind of endless speculation that dominates Celtics Blog.

I need to see that Isaiah doesn't have to be a shooting hog for us to win. Danny should get us a decent center asap and Brad should put Olynyk in as the starter with Horford, Jae, Avery and Isaiah.

I want tighter Brad Stevens' moves in order to evaluate Isaiah's ceiling as a traditional point guard. Maybe the problem is not enough practice time. I.T. has proven he is an offensive beast in an individualistic way. But I am not looking for that for when the team identity is finally completed.

I am not condemning Isaiah. I want more team ball. He is acting like Kobe Bryant out there lately. His efficiency is way up. Good point. I am having difficulty finding the words. What if Rondo was an excellent shooter? I think Tiny once led the league in both points and assists.

I need that kind of leap from Isaiah before wanting him back at LeBron James money.

Horford's last year will cost as much as LeBron's this year or extremely close. Then James will gets 33 and 35 million. Isaiah and Al don't seem to give us proper value when compared to the King. But Danny needs to get them some help, or then we scapegoat our best players. Pierce needed help. Danny did it, and Paul Pierce remained as a Boston fixture.

If Isaiah makes a leap with assists and turnovers, too, then I think he is worth the brinks stuff. I think he is worth a lot as is without any more leaps, but I worry he will think he is worth LeBron money when it should be closer to $20 million for his kind of game.

I guess I should shut up and appreciate Isaiah Time and let Danny worry about To Resign or Not to Resign Time.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Kobe in his best year wasn't as efficient as IT. Some of you  guys act as though he ought to be able to score AND get an assist on the same basket. Right now he's playing in some pretty rarified historical air.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 02:02:59 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Kobe in his best year wasn't as efficient as IT. Some of you  guys act as though he ought to be able to score AND get an assist on the same basket. Right now he's playing in some pretty rarified historical air.

Kobe at his best got the Lakers 2 banners. IT have yet to do it. This team wants championships, not individual accomplishments. Kobe was also a 1st-Team All Defender. I like IT, but lets not crown him as the next Celtics great yet until he actually earn it.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Isaiah is much more efficient than Kobe, and he is definitely more efficient this year than last.

I meant more about the style of play than actual stats.

The Isaiah hero ball can be good. He is that talented. But there is a fine line between lining those skills up with Celtics Tradition and reinventing the franchise as a Green Machine with ending up with a 30 point scorer who leaves us a bit short, no pun intended.

Our players need to work together. The ultimate goal needs to be more than individual success.

Isaiah needs to take one more leap to be worth $25-30 million. He must become perfection on offense. That is the only way it can work out. He does have the skills to make such a leap and just enough time.

On the flip side, a guy like Turner got his money but is on a miserable team and his ceiling has apparently been shut down.

Rollie has the right idea. This could still work out. Isaiah could own this town just like Brady and Ortiz. The last couple games have me thinking Isaiah still has another leap to make to be worth the Brinks Truck. I know Amir is much better than Kelly for defense, but I'd like to see what Isaiah could do with more offense to work with.

Maybe the problem is Bradley's hurt. He has developed ice in the veins and makes it easier for Isaiah. Hero ball is not going to get it done. It might be fun to watch, but I suppose it was fun rooting for Rondo to get his ten assists per game record until it wasn't.

I love Isaiah. I believe in him. I just need one more leap on offense. More like the way Bird did it, making his teammates better. That is what you want from a max player, not Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Love, players feasting off of their talent but who still seem to be missing something.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What constitutes perfection on offense? I think its kinda strange to expect perfection. Hell, Larry Bird wasn't perfect on offense.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
What constitutes perfection on offense? I think its kinda strange to expect perfection. Hell, Larry Bird wasn't perfect on offense.

Perfection was probably the wrong word. I know Isaiah isn't a robot.

From last year to this one, I needed to see certain improvement. I.T. needed to chill out with turnovers, the ones where he charges in and then loses the ball. He also needed to shoot better. He was having too many games as a chucker.

I think he has corrected those problems, but then he had to make the comment about the Brinks Truck and act like a conceited jackass pointing to his Isaiah Time watch.

If he wants the big bucks and to own this town, I need to see another leap.

I would be willing to accept him as is if he would take less money. Isaiah created this situation, not me.

Maybe if he was a couple years younger and/or taller, I'd roll the dice as an imaginary GM and fork over 30% of the budget to the Little Guy. Or he can take one more leap and earn it.

These guys are not the same players once they hit 32. You can still win with them, but at some point the topic turns into dinosaurs running on fumes. Or where's the money to keep some of these other guys since Al and Isaiah must have 60% of the pie.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Perfection was probably the wrong word. I know Isaiah isn't a robot.

From last year to this one, I needed to see certain improvement. I.T. needed to chill out with turnovers, the ones where he charges in and then loses the ball. He also needed to shoot better. He was having too many games as a chucker.

I think he has corrected those problems, but then he had to make the comment about the Brinks Truck and act like a conceited jackass pointing to his Isaiah Time watch.

If he wants the big bucks and to own this town, I need to see another leap.

I would be willing to accept him as is if he would take less money. Isaiah created this situation, not me.

Maybe if he was a couple years younger and/or taller, I'd roll the dice as an imaginary GM and fork over 30% of the budget to the Little Guy. Or he can take one more leap and earn it.

These guys are not the same players once they hit 32. You can still win with them, but at some point the topic turns into dinosaurs running on fumes. Or where's the money to keep some of these other guys since Al and Isaiah must have 60% of the pie.
IT is going to be paid without having to take any leap in his game. His game as it is warrants a max contract.

Also, IT will still be in his 20s...not 32.

Lastly, IT didnt create any situation, its just your opinion he is being a conceited jackass. I dont see him in that light and thats my opinion. There is no situation.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:55 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Isaiah will be 30 for contract time. Does he get five years/$150 million? What is this maximum contract you speak of?

For half that contract he'd be over 32.

He will be the age Gortat was.

And why does Isaiah deserve the max when there are some holes in his game?

How are you going to be able to pay for Avery, Jae, Marcus and some of these other guys when two non-superstars receive 60% of the paychecks?

And there will definitely be a situation if Ainge drafts a phenom point guard.