Poll

Boston's first rounder in 2018 plus three players for Randle

Yes. Please.
14 (28.6%)
No.
32 (65.3%)
I would throw in the Memphis pick as well.
3 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll: Kelly, Terry, Yabu, 1st rounder for Randle  (Read 6788 times)

Re: Poll: Kelly, Terry, Yabu, 1st rounder for Randle
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
shocked at the results here. Randle immediately becomes our best rebounder by far and his passing leads me to believe hed fit in really well.

Id pull the trigger. I like randle a decent amount. His passing this year has been super impressive to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No way the Lakers do this
I think the Lakers are looking for a rim protector and from what I've seen from fans, some are willing to part with Randle if it gets them a good enough rim

Okay, Okay. I fold. You can have Zizic instead of Yabu. Done deal.

They have Zubac who they are very high on and who is arguably better than Zizic

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I dont think the Lakers even consider this. I wouldnt consider this deal because I would hold on to those players as a way to make sure I get the guy I want in the 18 draft. It might be wishful thinking to think that a team will trade a top 3 pick next year but I would hold those picks and players for an outside shot at making that move.

And before people say well how does that help this year or next, it doesnt but an aggressive Ayton and Porter (I say aggressive because Ayton does not impress unless he is aggressive) are worth trying to trade up for if you dont get a top 2 pick in 18. Those two have a chance to be special.

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
shocked at the results here. Randle immediately becomes our best rebounder by far and his passing leads me to believe hed fit in really well.

Id pull the trigger. I like randle a decent amount. His passing this year has been super impressive to me.

Is he an upgrade over Olynyk?

Olynyk - Elite shooting and above average defense. No aggressiveness, below average rebounder

Randle - Elite rebounding and aggressive physical playing style, but a non-shooter and below average defender

Both players are nice passers. Neither guy has length. Both could become plus starters if they improve on some of their flaws, but neither guy shows signs they will do so.

Not sure I would bother trading Kelly for Randle straight up. Seems like a wash to me.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
What is this boards obsession with Randle? It's like people think he's the second coming of Christ...
He is the exact opposite of what you should want in an NBA PF.  I wouldn't trade a single one of those assets for him!

You wouldn't trade Rozier for Randle straight up?

Step into my office Oracle. Your Fired!

Lol.
I wouldn't trade a bag of chips for a PF who cannot defend a chair, nor shoot and is a turnover machine.  He would kill the C's floor spacing and defense.  Their is absolutely no chance the Celtics would remotely consider a deal like this.  Not to mention his deal expires next year as well as I.T., Avery and Smart.  YOU are fired LOL!

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What is this boards obsession with Randle? It's like people think he's the second coming of Christ...
Taken 1 pick after Smart.  A lot of people wanted Randle.  We already had too many PFs (Sully, Bass, Oly) and it was pretty clear we'd need a starting PG as soon as we traded Rondo or he fled in free agency.   Randle has arguably outperformed Smart, though... so it's just one of those things.  Plus, it was reported that Ainge strongly considered taking Randle despite the PF log jam.  And it was also reported that he tried trading Rondo for Randle.  So there was definite interest.
This post is exactly why you always draft best player available.  You just don't know what will happen.
Yeah but I think Smart and Randle were seen as the same "tier" of prospect... so similar to us taking Jaylen Brown over Jamal Murray or Kris Dunn... if you see the prospects as roughly the same, you might want to go with the guy who has a better path towards minutes.   Jaylen theoretically makes sense as a backup SF and maybe a small-ball PF.   Taking Murray or Dunn would just contribute further to a guard log jam that might even get worse this Summer considering how many guards are at the top of the draft.   Even if Randle was clearly better than Smart (which the jury is still very much out on), you can see Danny's logic in going for the PG rather than adding another PF.

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I don't know if Randle is the player we need.

But eja and Moranis are right that LAL would reject that deal.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Is he an upgrade over Olynyk?

Olynyk - Elite shooting and above average defense. No aggressiveness, below average rebounder

Randle - Elite rebounding and aggressive physical playing style, but a non-shooter and below average defender

Both players are nice passers. Neither guy has length. Both could become plus starters if they improve on some of their flaws, but neither guy shows signs they will do so.

Not sure I would bother trading Kelly for Randle straight up. Seems like a wash to me.
Randles got another year on a rookie deal. Hes also younger by 3 years. He is much more likely to reach that plus-starter ceiling.

Randle is a tier above all four prospects we give up in the proposed deal and he addresses a massive need.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Taken 1 pick after Smart.  A lot of people wanted Randle.  We already had too many PFs (Sully, Bass, Oly) and it was pretty clear we'd need a starting PG as soon as we traded Rondo or he fled in free agency.   Randle has arguably outperformed Smart, though... so it's just one of those things.  Plus, it was reported that Ainge strongly considered taking Randle despite the PF log jam.  And it was also reported that he tried trading Rondo for Randle.  So there was definite interest.
This post is exactly why you always draft best player available.  You just don't know what will happen.
Yeah but I think Smart and Randle were seen as the same "tier" of prospect... so similar to us taking Jaylen Brown over Jamal Murray or Kris Dunn... if you see the prospects as roughly the same, you might want to go with the guy who has a better path towards minutes.   Jaylen theoretically makes sense as a backup SF and maybe a small-ball PF.   Taking Murray or Dunn would just contribute further to a guard log jam that might even get worse this Summer considering how many guards are at the top of the draft.   Even if Randle was clearly better than Smart (which the jury is still very much out on), you can see Danny's logic in going for the PG rather than adding another PF.
Tiers are pretty useless when you start looking at individual team picks. Each GM has their own big board and I dont believe for a second that Ainge believe Smart-Randle to be a wash, just like I dont really believe he saw Brown-Murray-Dunn etc to be a wash. He picked the guy he thought was the best guy left.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Wow. Just wow. that is a lot of talent for a guy whose ceiling is likely a starter.

That is a Washington Wizards move. Do you want us to be the Wizards? Because that's how a team becomes the Wizards.

I wouldn't trade Yabu for Randle - that's how little I value Randle and how much I think of Yabu.

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I hear you sport's. I try to make the trades a win for the Celtics but my a slight margin.

Cause that's how Danny rolls. I actually think Yabu has 15ppg potential. And if that happens it's a win for the Faker's.

However for the Celtics we get a guy right now who can get you a double double every night.

Like you said he's great off the dribble making passes as well.

Overall it's a win for the Celtics, and naysayers are probably wrong just based on having a stronger asset.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just sign Noel in the off season.
Some fans want to trade for him.  Saw a weird idea from a Laker fan on Reddit where they'd trade Jordan Clarkson and Randle for Noel, but also have the pick protection change from Top 3 to Top 5.  Don't know if that's even possible.  I wouldn't see that happening without a third team taking Randle.
Protections can be changed but I think I read somewhere that the Magic would have to approve it since their getting the Lakers 2019 pick is dependent on the Sixers getting the Laker pick this year.  Obviously the Magic aren't going to do anything to reduce the odds of their getting the Lakers pick in 2019 so they wouldn't agree to the increased protection. 

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just sign Noel in the off season.
Some fans want to trade for him.  Saw a weird idea from a Laker fan on Reddit where they'd trade Jordan Clarkson and Randle for Noel, but also have the pick protection change from Top 3 to Top 5.  Don't know if that's even possible.  I wouldn't see that happening without a third team taking Randle.
Protections can be changed but I think I read somewhere that the Magic would have to approve it since their getting the Lakers 2019 pick is dependent on the Sixers getting the Laker pick this year.  Obviously the Magic aren't going to do anything to reduce the odds of their getting the Lakers pick in 2019 so they wouldn't agree to the increased protection.

That is correct.  LA would need to work something out with Orlando too.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Trouble is LA knows this and they would laugh at that offer.   Kelly is soft, and is all over the place in performance though he has been tough lately.  Terry is all over the place in terms of performance and they have a nice PG they drafted so they do not need him.  Yabu is an unknown at times he looks like a he could be good like a Draymond Green Lite and other times he looks raw.  After the season they are having they are probably looking to get some vets to go with their high picks.

I have always thought Randle would be a potentially better version of Sully.  He is more athletic,  but he is no rim protector, his shooting is suspect, he can board and he can pass.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I don't think we've ever done deals with Lakers, can someone fact check me on this?
There was that Travis Knight trade.

I was just going to suggest that we trade Travis Knight back to Lakers for Randle.

NEVER again trade with Lakers -- it's too risky.  Can't stomach any possibility of helping them.