Author Topic: Women's March  (Read 8260 times)

Re: Women's March
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 467
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
They certainly don't speak on behalf of all the women. I know plenty who are put off by the marches.
why were they put off by it? Honest question

Protesting in America is one of the most American thing you can do

I know some women who were put off by the very idea that these women were representing all women, while advocating certain positions that are controversial within groups of women.

I heard one woman on tv expand her views to include the privatization of social security and how they would not accept it. Very valid viewpoint. Not representative of women.

The march sort of co-opted the brand of "Woman" and I think that bothered a lot of women who went unheard simply because they didn't participate.
understandable

BUT

They can have their own movement if they care enough about it
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »

Online fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2457
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I know an absurd amount of women, and some men, who went to these rallies, in several different states and at least one overseas. None of them had ever protested anything before and all of them reported having an incredibly positive experience.

Given the density and size of the crowds, it's really impressive how peaceful the events were. Though part of that has to do with how the police treat the crowds, so it's commendable on their part as well. Putting aside politics, a lot of people felt their first real personal engagement with how they want their society to function. Done non-violently, that's always a good thing in my books.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »

Online gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 138
I know some women who were put off by the very idea that these women were representing all women, while advocating certain positions that are controversial within groups of women.
Good. Now you know how the majority of Americans feel about President Trump representing all Americans. So how are we going to deal with this?

I already don't feel like Trump represents me. I never did. There's not much we can do about him being president. I suppose we can march and protest and engage our representatives, but honestly I feel like they would only help out of political expediency, if at all.

The best thing we can do is not be reactionary and keep our heads clear.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

Online gift

• Bill Walton
They certainly don't speak on behalf of all the women. I know plenty who are put off by the marches.
why were they put off by it? Honest question

Protesting in America is one of the most American thing you can do

I heard one woman on tv expand her views to include the privatization of social security and how they would not accept it. Very valid viewpoint. Not representative of women.

The march sort of co-opted the brand of "Woman" and I think that bothered a lot of women who went unheard simply because they didn't participate.
understandable

BUT

They can have their own movement if they care enough about it

I bet some of them will. But that doesn't mean they aren't put off by another group advocating opinions that run contrary to their own as "women's" opinions.

Sort of like how we Celtics fans don't like it when other Celtics fans disagree with our strongly held beliefs about basketball. And maybe they spread those opinions widely on Twitter right next to their leprechaun and clover avatars. We don't want people thinking they represent all Celtics fans.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 285
I know an absurd amount of women, and some men, who went to these rallies, in several different states and at least one overseas. None of them had ever protested anything before and all of them reported having an incredibly positive experience.

Given the density and size of the crowds, it's really impressive how peaceful the events were. Though part of that has to do with how the police treat the crowds, so it's commendable on their part as well. Putting aside politics, a lot of people felt their first real personal engagement with how they want their society to function. Done non-violently, that's always a good thing in my books.

TP foulweatherfan. I can almost guarantee that I'm the youngest "regular" poster here, and these rallies were the first time ever that many of my friends were politically active. I had tons of female friends who were peacefully marching for rights and causes that they believe in. How can I object to that? The discourse and overall message were peaceful and respectful, yet firm, and I haven't heard any actually terrible news (deaths, violence, etc) from the rallies. That is awesome.

If this horrible election cycle starts a movement that makes everyone, especially the youngest generation of voters, more aware of the power of respectful discourse and making one's voice heard (especially through voting), we may look back on this as a positive turning point in American democracy.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:41 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Imagine if the best thing that came from the Trump presidency was a national shift in the discourse where we all started listening to one another and building peaceful consensus for solutions to our most important problems?

As much as I'd LOVE for that to happen, the irony would just be too heavy to ignore.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »

Online Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 742
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Imagine if the best thing that came from the Trump presidency was a national shift in the discourse where we all started listening to one another and building peaceful consensus for solutions to our most important problems?

As much as I'd LOVE for that to happen, the irony would just be too heavy to ignore.
Let's start it! I'm ready to listen!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2331
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My wife marched in DC. It was a 10hr drive. She left me with the kids and that was its own hell (or crucible...please just not a precedent).

I had reservations similar to my reservations about occupy wall street and BLM, as in I thought so many powerful voices with so many different agendas had ownership in it, and I was worried that would be reflected in the tone and organization of the march.

And I was wrong. I am so, so proud of her.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 589
  • Puns of steel
My wife marched in DC. It was a 10hr drive. She left me with the kids and that was its own hell (or crucible...please just not a precedent).

I had reservations similar to my reservations about occupy wall street and BLM, as in I thought so many powerful voices with so many different agendas had ownership in it, and I was worried that would be reflected in the tone and organization of the march.

And I was wrong. I am so, so proud of her.

tp.
Biasies:
Pro-Smart, Pro-Brown, Pro-Irving, Pro-Baynes

Anti-Nader, Anti-Yabu, Anti-Rozier, Anti-Morris

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5345
Women I know and are related to wantedto go to these marches but couldn't. So my three sons decided to go represent them in 3 marches in three different states(my sons range in age from 22 to 29). Couldn't be more proud that they marched for their mom, grandmothers, aunts and gay uncle. They all told me they came away feeling tremendous that they could voice their displeasure over the new administration but also show their support for women and LGBTQ rights.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2331
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Women I know and are related to wantedto go to these marches but couldn't. So my three sons decided to go represent them in 3 marches in three different states(my sons range in age from 22 to 29). Couldn't be more proud that they marched for their mom, grandmothers, aunts and gay uncle. They all told me they came away feeling tremendous that they could voice their displeasure over the new administration but also show their support for women and LGBTQ rights.

Very cool. TP. Solid kid-raising there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:13 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 157
Um, aren't there women who post on these forums?  Well hey lurking girls, just want to let you know that we support you and we are inspired by your courage.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:20 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 331
Deleted by author.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:31:25 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 03:23:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • Running in the 00s KANSEI DORIFUTO

TP foulweatherfan. I can almost guarantee that I'm the youngest "regular" poster here, and these rallies were the first time ever that many of my friends were politically active. I had tons of female friends who were peacefully marching for rights and causes that they believe in. How can I object to that? The discourse and overall message were peaceful and respectful, yet firm, and I haven't heard any actually terrible news (deaths, violence, etc) from the rallies. That is awesome.

If this horrible election cycle starts a movement that makes everyone, especially the youngest generation of voters, more aware of the power of respectful discourse and making one's voice heard (especially through voting), we may look back on this as a positive turning point in American democracy.
Um...if I count as regular you're not, I'm 15 (assuming you're older than that, if you aren't tp)
****cago Bull****

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »

Online gift

• Bill Walton

Terrible events do have a way of uniting people. Unfortunately, people unite behind both good and bad ideas.

I would encourage everyone to not only listen to each other, but be critical of your own opinions and biases. We're so firm with our viewpoints, sometimes we miss another perspective. Don't just go with what feels right for you. Assume that you are wrong and figure out how and why. This approach will make you more interested in listening to others because you'll be constantly searching for truth rather than just affirmation.