Author Topic: Do you consider Rozier - starting material?  (Read 2496 times)

Do you consider Rozier - starting material?
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes or no?

Im coming to the realization Smart is at best a role/bench player

Just a poor/streaky shooter and does not have the ability to turn the corner and finish around the rim.  Is strong otherwise at doing the little things, playing D...

Rozier on the other hand has a nice looking jump shot. Able to dribble stop and pop.  Can finish around the rim if there is space. Good in transition. Plays solid D

Re: Do you consider Rozier - starting material?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If Smart can develop a more consistent jumper during the off-season, I think the calculus changes.  I know, I know, we've been waiting for 3 years for it to happen.  Thing is, he can do things that Rozier cannot do and likely will never be able to do.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Smart can develop a more consistent jumper during the off-season, I think the calculus changes.  I know, I know, we've been waiting for 3 years for it to happen.  Thing is, he can do things that Rozier cannot do and likely will never be able to do.

How many years can you wait? Until he is near retirement

Just something about his stroke is off.. it could be better to revamp it altogether

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
That goes both ways.

Roz can drive and score better at the rim. He's a better three point shooter. He shoots off the dribble better. Higher offensive ceiling. Better athlete. Quicker and better cross over.

Smart is a better passer. He has more poise. Better at setting up the offense. Tighter with his handle. Better post up player.

All those things listed above are strengths the other is lacking.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:33:34 AM by TrueFan »

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:15 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Smart's shooting percentage is not an accurate measure of his value. He does EVERYTHING else well. Many of his missed shots are end of the shot clock heaves because nobody else took the shot or when he's battling bigs in the paint and throwing up contested physical rebound shots. When it is his intent to shoot and he takes a jumper I have seen many times he makes a big shot and he's not afraid to do so. I do like Rozier and his speed is incredible. When he plays with speed and can keep it under control he is a real plus. I wouldn't sacrifice Smart's play for Rozier but I do see Rozier as deserving a few more minutes at times and maybe it's when teams are picking on Thomas is when Rozier should come in.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Rozier can be a starter but he'll never be much more than a role player.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Rozier is not ready for that role. I liked that he was more aggressive this game, but I don't really have the highest hopes for him though.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Rozier could be a starter tomorrow. He'd be a bad starter, but he could do it.

I think that down the line, Rozier could be decent starter.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That goes both ways.

Roz can drive and score better at the rim. He's a better three point shooter. He shoots off the dribble better. Higher offensive ceiling. Better athlete. Quicker and better cross over.

Smart is a better passer. He has more poise. Better at setting up the offense. Tighter with his handle. Better post up player.

No, doesn't really go both ways.  I would not trade Smart's defensive prowess, passing, poise, handle and post-up game for Rozier's 3-pt shooting, crossover and speed.  But that's just me.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
No
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart's shooting percentage is not an accurate measure of his value. He does EVERYTHING else well. Many of his missed shots are end of the shot clock heaves because nobody else took the shot or when he's battling bigs in the paint and throwing up contested physical rebound shots. When it is his intent to shoot and he takes a jumper I have seen many times he makes a big shot and he's not afraid to do so. I do like Rozier and his speed is incredible. When he plays with speed and can keep it under control he is a real plus. I wouldn't sacrifice Smart's play for Rozier but I do see Rozier as deserving a few more minutes at times and maybe it's when teams are picking on Thomas is when Rozier should come in.

Smart is one our best players, and he does seem to get stuck with the ball a lot when the shot clock is winding down.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
That goes both ways.

No, doesn't really go both ways.  I would not trade Smart's defensive prowess, passing, poise, handle and post-up game for Rozier's 3-pt shooting, crossover and speed.  But that's just me.
It certainly does. Smart will never have Roz's speed or cross over or his shot off the dribble or ability to score at the rim.

They both do things at a higher level then the other.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes (in the future I mean, not today) -- I consider Rozier starting PG material. I think he can be a top 15 PG in 2-3 years time. I would liken Rozier to someone like Reggie Jackson. Not a pure PG by any means. Someone that has to learn and develop some PG instincts (just to an adequate level) to allow his scoring talents to blossom. And someone (Rozier, I mean) who needs more time to develop on the defensive side of the floor because he is a train wreck right now but you can see flashes of defensive talent with his defense on the ball.

As for Smart -- I rate him as a top 15 SG (or close to it) in the league right now. If he can get some consistency on that 3 point shot at even a 33% clip, he is comfortably in that top 15.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:14:35 PM by Who »

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I consider Smart or Rozier plus picks as the basis to acquire a star. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:21:21 PM by Geo123 »

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No.  He'll need to carve out a careers as a back up.  That's not a bad thing; just needs to develop his game.