1 (6.3%)
Steve Kerr
0 (0%)
Gregg Popovic
3 (18.8%)
Someone else
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Where does Brad Stevens rank now in the coach of year competition?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
It seems no one is particular outstanding this year, it could be coach Stevens's best chance if we can finish 2nd in the east.

So far I think the competitions are among:

Brad Stevens from Celtics
Mike Budenholzer from Hawks
Quin Snyder from Jazz
Mike D'Antoni from Rockets
Billy Donovan from Thunder
Steve Kerr from Warriors
Gregg Popovic from Spurs

Kerr has won last year, Pop has won many times, and both teams are projected to finish worse than last year, so I guess they are unlikely to win unless there's no one else worthy.

Rockets and Thunder have MVP no.1 and no.2 carrying their teams, so the coaches may get less recognition.

Snyder is probably leading right now because the Jazz is projected to win 52 games, which will be 12 more than last year, in a strong west conference, with pretty much the same roster.

Celtics and Hawks are both projected to finish with the same record as last year. That will be disappointing for both teams, more so for Celtics because the Hawks was close to rebuilding.

So am I right coach Stevens is ranking no.3-4 in the coach of the year competition? and for him to win the C's need to finish 2nd in the east with at least 52 wins.

Re: Where does Brad Stevens rank now in the coach of year competition?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:45:33 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I would go with d'Antoni since the Rockets are just not the same team as last year. You can see his style fits there, and the players love his sytem.

Last year Houston finished with 41-41 in regular season, let's not forget.

If is wasn't for him, i think Quin Snyder could have a shot. C's would need to improve their defense to bring Stevens right on top i believe

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Stevens doesn't figure into it. Celtics only meeting expectations. Not exceeding them.

I'd say Houston (D'Antoni), San Antonio (Popovich) and Memphis (Fizdale). Maybe Utah but I think they are only doing what they should be doing after underperforming last year.

What Memphis has done is pretty extraordinary. All those 2nd round pick guys playing important roles for them and still maintaining standards of recent years. Dealing with injuries to Parsons. Only vets around Gasol and Conley are a 39 year old Vince Carter, a 35 year old Tony Allen and Z-Bo (also 35 yo). Relying on contributions from so many unknowns / little known players and still getting it done.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I'd say Houston (D'Antoni), San Antonio (Popovich) and Memphis (Fizdale). Maybe Utah but I think they are only doing what they should be doing after underperforming last year.

Why Popovic? Based on your comment about Stevens (i agree btw) the Spurs aren't doing anything better than expected.

Stevens doesn't figure into it. Celtics only meeting expectations. Not exceeding them.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:48:02 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I agree I overlooked D'Antoni, but the rockets do have new additions of Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, and you can argue they were under performing last year as well, the year before they were in conference finals.

Pop will always be a candidate, but he's won it 3 times, getting one more will make him the most wins ever, I feel for that to happen Spurs needs to do something spectacular, like finishing 1st in the west, still possible but unlikely.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If a coach makes the playoffs without an all star or a team loses less than around 10

Likely to win

CBS is not having a great season. Defense is shoddy. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:26:07 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I agree I overlooked D'Antoni, but the rockets do have new additions of Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson, and you can argue they were under performing last year as well, the year before they were in conference finals.

Going into the season though, I don't think a lot of people were predicting much from the Rockets.  A lot of points sure, but not so much on the wins.

538 had them 13th in the league predicting a 45-37 record, and they're currently on pace for 59 wins.

ESPN had them 15th in their preseason power rankings.

CBS Sports had Houston finishing 10th in the West.

Sports Illustrated thought the Rockets would win 39 games.

I think a lot of people predicted some great stats from Harden, but I don't think many people thought there would be this many wins.

The award is D’Antoni's to lose at this point.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The guys in Memphis deserve to win something. I dunno what award but what they're doing is just silly. They're winning with a rotation predominantly composed of 2nd round picks and undrafted guys. I mean, even Gasol is a 2nd rounder!
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

What Memphis has done is pretty extraordinary. All those 2nd round pick guys playing important roles for them and still maintaining standards of recent years. Dealing with injuries to Parsons. Only vets around Gasol and Conley are a 39 year old Vince Carter, a 35 year old Tony Allen and Z-Bo (also 35 yo). Relying on contributions from so many unknowns / little known players and still getting it done.
This.

Popovich is probably the best coach in the league and he's coaching without Tim Duncan for the first time in 20 years. As good as the Spurs are playing, he has to be in the discussion.

Usually this award becomes the "team we were most wrong about" award, so the favorites are most likely D'Antoni or Fizdale given how well the Grizzlies played without Mike Conley (and I think they're overachieving their projections, regardless).

For Stevens to win, the C's would probably have to win 55-56 games, at least.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
The guys in Memphis deserve to win something. I dunno what award but what they're doing is just silly. They're winning with a rotation predominantly composed of 2nd round picks and undrafted guys. I mean, even Gasol is a 2nd rounder!

Gasol is a 2nd rounder but certainly does play like a 1st

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Why Popovic? Based on your comment about Stevens (i agree btw) the Spurs aren't doing anything better than expected.

First year without Duncan. I think they are over-achieving based on their talent. I am not wild about their roster outside of Kawhi. I think they are an overrated group of players. I would add that I think that San Antonio has managed this transition so smoothly largely because of Popovich's coaching in previous seasons (recent years) -- in establishing a system that players can easily slot in and out of. Using teamwork to overcome talent deficits to stay amongst league leaders W-L wise.

Talent wise = I think SAS is about the 5th best team in the West. But they have the 2nd best record not just in the West but in the whole league. Because of their system and Popovich's coaching which has allowed them to overachieve (overachieve in the regular season -- I am pessimistic about their playoffs chances).

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I would say D'Antoni. He has put the 3P shot into vogue there. Capela will probably be throwing up 3s pretty soon.  :laugh: