Author Topic: Give it a month  (Read 1497 times)

Give it a month
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
People are overthinking the situation. The bottom line is that we are weak at center and this has been Danny's Achilles heel for pretty much his entire GM career.

Tyler Zeller is a scrub, but he's our scrub. Jordan Mickey isn't even a scrub. He is an undefined prospect. Yet, with Jerebko out, Brad was forced to play him.

Had Zeller not gotten sick, we might have easily won the last two games. Yes, he is that mediocre, better than undefined. He is the rich man's scrub.

Avery has also been injured. It is okay to use the injury card. It's better than freaking out over two rough losses to scrub teams.

If Danny doesn't get us a center, then I will finally be ready to concede we are not a champion contender this year. That is because Amir has apparently turned out to be brittle and old. Horford is no spring chicken either.

Positions one to three look all set. It seems everyone agrees that vulnerability lies with the front court.

One must roll with the punches as a Celtics fan. Change and growth is inevitable.

We are in the hunt for the foreseeable future.

We can't predict what will happen, but it is guaranteed to be interesting and I am talking about much more than a few years. My advice is for folks to appreciate what's already in motion and not take losses so personally.

Danny says we need eight or nine great guys to compete? That is true and preferably ten healthy players covering all needs for playoff runs.

That could take a while, as in a couple years, to get close to the NBA mountain top. If I had to guess, I think Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart represent the future core. Horford is here to help them learn how to win over many years. His ceiling is that of a bridge unless we get the fireworks.

We are in for a good ride, but we must be patient and wait to see what develops. Speculation is pointless. So we must remain professional for the next month, as Jae is expected to do so. We must wait for the trade deadline before knowing this years' final roster.

We will get our playoffs and Spring, and then the draft and off-season. If Danny drafts a stud guard, then to me, that means Danny is strapping in for the long haul, and Isaiah might also be like Horford, a bridge to a future in which they will be less likely to remain.

But I would not want Al or Isaiah thinking I'm ungrateful or belittling their accomplishments as core members of a top ten NBA team.

The atmosphere is not perfect. There are guys at the end of bench and even Amir Johnson as a starter who may very well not be here next year.

Jae Crowder kind of opened a Pandora's Box with his rant. That's my amateur sports blogging hot take.

We. Shall. See.

Re: Give it a month
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
gave you number 200tp--nice posting

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
8 years and waiting. How much longer do you drink the Wyc and Danny kool-aid?

17 Nets pick is pure gold on the trade market right now. Make a deal! Cousins or George and your going to be competing in late May..

If those 2 players are unavailable then the pick is a stash, but you still have to upgrade the current roster if you can.
At some point you have to grab your balls and make a change....

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
People are overthinking the situation. The bottom line is that we are weak at center and this has been Danny's Achilles heel for pretty much his entire GM career.

Tyler Zeller is a scrub, but he's our scrub. Jordan Mickey isn't even a scrub. He is an undefined prospect. Yet, with Jerebko out, Brad was forced to play him.

Had Zeller not gotten sick, we might have easily won the last two games. Yes, he is that mediocre, better than undefined. He is the rich man's scrub.

Avery has also been injured. It is okay to use the injury card. It's better than freaking out over two rough losses to scrub teams.

If Danny doesn't get us a center, then I will finally be ready to concede we are not a champion contender this year. That is because Amir has apparently turned out to be brittle and old. Horford is no spring chicken either.

Positions one to three look all set. It seems everyone agrees that vulnerability lies with the front court.

One must roll with the punches as a Celtics fan. Change and growth is inevitable.

We can't predict what will happen, but it is guaranteed to be interesting and I am talking about much more than a few years. My advice is for folks to appreciate what's already in motion and not take losses so personally.

Danny says we need eight or nine great guys to compete? That is true and preferably ten healthy players covering all needs for playoff runs.

That could take a while, as in a couple years, to get close to the NBA mountain top. If I had to guess, I think Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart represent the future core. Horford is here to help them learn how to win over many years. His ceiling is that of a bridge unless we get the fireworks.

We are in for a good ride, but we must be patient and wait to see what develops. Speculation is pointless. So we must remain professional for the next month, as Jae is expected to do so. We must wait for the trade deadline before knowing this years' final roster.

We will get our playoffs and Spring, and then the draft and off-season. If Danny drafts a stud guard, then to me, that means Danny is strapping in for the long haul, and Isaiah might also be like Horford, a bridge to a future in which they will be less likely to remain.

But I would not want Al or Isaiah thinking I'm ungrateful or belittling their accomplishments as core members of a top ten NBA team.

The atmosphere is not perfect. There are guys at the end of bench and even Amir Johnson as a starter who may very well not be here next year.

Jae Crowder kind of opened a Pandora's Box with his rant. That's my amateur sports blogging hot take.

We. Shall. See.

i agree with this...and just think the leagues top players are getting old while we are getting young..IF i mean IF we keep all our picks and bring our stash players over..look at our future we might build something here..add a couple of free agents to tat we might be on our way..it might take 3 more years? but we are young...the warrior built their team almost that way....Thomson and curry was from draft and we have top picks to do it.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

We. Shall. See.

i agree with this...and just think the leagues top players are getting old while we are getting young..IF i mean IF we keep all our picks and bring our stash players over..look at our future we might build something here..add a couple of free agents to tat we might be on our way..it might take 3 more years? but we are young...the warrior built their team almost that way....Thomson and curry was from draft and we have top picks to do it.
The problem is that we don't have the best young talented players in the league.  Start listing the top players 23 and under in the league and it will be quite a while before you get to a Celtics player.   

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
The "Wyc and Danny kool-aid" tasted spoiled rotten the last couple Big Three years. It's fair to question some of that. It's been 8 years? That sounds right.

How soon it's forgotten we were playing Jordan Crawford, Brandon Bass and Humphries. The only thing we had to look forward to was Sully and Olynyk clicked for offense. Stevens showed he can coach in this league. That was a ten win team on paper.

The basic rebuild took a mere year and a half. I sense sour grapes in the negative crowd. And even if it's been a God awful eight years without a title, those are still good results for a thirty team league. Do the math.

The problem with your scenario is what if it fails? Why spend all the assets for one in return. And why pay for something when you can get it for free? Maybe there will be a Gortat type available unrestricted free agent? Or why not trade for a quality center who doesn't cost the farm?

Danny's homework is to get a center to reinforce this group of good guys who for the most part have shown a sick level of passion for the sport.

I'm with Tommy. The refs are ridiculous. There are too many ads. The cheerleaders and crowd antics are also pretty weird and have ruined the aesthetics. That was Pitino who brought in all the clutter. The NBA may not hold my interest when this run ends.

However, I think the final window is looking like a minimum of ten years. It looks like I am saddled by at least ten more years of NBA professional wrestling, constant speculation, dumb ads and excessive nail biting. Then I will say goodbye to the NBA.I appreciate my team's situation, but I am not mr. naive.

I see value in wins. Hopefully something is done about the refs.

I also don't like the money part. If Isaiah is demanding big bucks over what is best for the team, then sure, sell high if possible.

He needs to figure out how to stop ball hogging. I don't like his pointing to his wrist and his dad was also pulling that nonsense. It is a team we want to watch. The Little Guy needs to stop making love to the mirror and stay focused on defense and making his teammates better on offense. He needs to be a little more like Rondo, pass first.

Now, I concede he has been fantastic and the most consistent player in such greatness, but the last couple games he has not played like a maximum contract player.

He needs to become selfless to get the deal. He is on the clock. Olynyk seems to finally get it that it's now or never as a Celtic. Jae is whining because he could be the best asset on the whole team. He is more aware of the trading deadline than most players.

It's unfortunate Horford is kind of iffy for shooting. Bradley is one of the main guys you don't want to lose. Smart covers his defense, and Crowder sometimes can cover the shooting part, but we are clearly impacted when our top players are hurt.

You can survive a Zeller, but not a Zeller and Jerebko.

You can survive a Rozier, but not if one of the top three guards are out.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
do you recognize the marcus of today-gotta forgive the lob after a couple of rebounds and the ref's robbery after his steal and basket-marcus stayed cool
-and is he nailing his foul shots after an abysmal stretch-
-i like your use of nba wrestling,  that was one of my favorites after the bird era
the idea is to win at this point but not get hurt doing something silly
-isaiah seems spending less time hitting the deck the last few games-
the celts for a couple years played playoff d all season and that perimeter defense was astounding
not to takeaway from isaiah and his to many turnovers down the stretch yesterday
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:21:07 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Quote from: rayallen_35_24

Knock on wood Al Horford is a Tim Duncan who will age like fine wine.

Then he can slot back to a veteran backup role. There's some speculation for four years later.

Jayle Brown looks like the real deal and Marcus Smart is already proven starter material. Jaylen seems to be ahead of where Marcus was as a rookie for an overall game independent of minutes played, and perhaps that is reflected by where they were picked.

I think Danny would have to be nuts to risk a big trade for Cousins. His future core includes a #3 and a #6 with two more on the way. Why are people so adamant that we trade for Cousins or worse some of those other hotshots who aren't bigs? Seems like a waste of time.

I am happy with Olynyk over the last couple weeks.

Evaluation is ongoing and intriguing.

I would resign Amir for three years at $5 million per year. Again, the money aspect is ruining the game as much as anything.

Last night was tough to watch, but there were some good moments, and one had me with a sinister laugh towards Evan Turnover.

We could get obliterated in the four games in five nights or we do okay or good.

The last couple games were brutal, but it forces one to yet again kick back and look at the big picture, which is Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart.

Is there anyone who thinks Brown won't be playing 25-30 minutes next year?

I think guys like Zizic and Yabusele are crap shoots. I'll believe it when I see it. But it is nice to have decent prospects and Nader sounds like he might be able to help win us some games.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
do you recognize the marcus of today-gotta forgive the lob after a couple of rebounds and ref's robbery after his steal and basket-and is he nailing his foul shots after an abysmal stretch-
-i like your use of nba wrestling  that was one of my favorites after the bird era
the idea is to win at this point but not get hurt doing something sill
-isaiah seems spending less time hitting the deck the last few games
the celts for a couple years played playoff d all season and that perimeter defense was astounding
not to takeaway from isaiah to many turnovers down the stretch yesterday

I don't want Isaiah hitting the deck too hard. He needs to perfect that for preservation. It is definitely a marathon like baseball.

He needs to evolve into a Tiny Archibald. Part of his repertoire is to score points. Smart needs to improve with shooting, but his free throw shooting is amazing. I think he has made serious leaps.

Marcus Smart will be a restricted free agent. He is going nowhere. I like how hungry he gets. He is at the center of the Celtics' current core. His ceiling and indispensability value is much higher than Crowder's. Poor Jae. I love that guy. He could become the next James Posey. Can he accept the role without complaining?

Isaiah is on the clock only in regards to his next contract. I want him to perfect the assist to turnover ratio. He needs to picture himself as a Rondo, not in the ball pounding sense, but in the traditional point guard role. I want both points and assists from Isaiah, like Tiny did it. He must in order to compensate for his midget status on defense.

One takeaway already from this year has been that Marcus Smart has arrived. Olynyk is the one on the hot seat.

I love Isaiah. I hope it works out. I am sincerely rooting for him, but there's no need to be pointing at one's wrist. It's like when teams start dancing on the bench and taunt the opposition. Act humble and like you've been there before.

It may or may not be a coincidence that Isaiah has reverted to ball hogging, hero ball. The games have been spread out lately, so maybe there have been some recent practices. I say bring it on. Let's see more of the Isiaiah that had 15 assists. We are about to get a bing bang bam game after game survival test.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
The "Wyc and Danny kool-aid" tasted spoiled rotten the last couple Big Three years. It's fair to question some of that. It's been 8 years? That sounds right.

How soon it's forgotten we were playing Jordan Crawford, Brandon Bass and Humphries. The only thing we had to look forward to was Sully and Olynyk clicked for offense. Stevens showed he can coach in this league. That was a ten win team on paper.

The basic rebuild took a mere year and a half. I sense sour grapes in the negative crowd. And even if it's been a God awful eight years without a title, those are still good results for a thirty team league. Do the math.

The problem with your scenario is what if it fails? Why spend all the assets for one in return. And why pay for something when you can get it for free? Maybe there will be a Gortat type available unrestricted free agent? Or why not trade for a quality center who doesn't cost the farm?

Danny's homework is to get a center to reinforce this group of good guys who for the most part have shown a sick level of passion for the sport.

I'm with Tommy. The refs are ridiculous. There are too many ads. The cheerleaders and crowd antics are also pretty weird and have ruined the aesthetics. That was Pitino who brought in all the clutter. The NBA may not hold my interest when this run ends.

However, I think the final window is looking like a minimum of ten years. It looks like I am saddled by at least ten more years of NBA professional wrestling, constant speculation, dumb ads and excessive nail biting. Then I will say goodbye to the NBA.I appreciate my team's situation, but I am not mr. naive.

I see value in wins. Hopefully something is done about the refs.

I also don't like the money part. If Isaiah is demanding big bucks over what is best for the team, then sure, sell high if possible.

He needs to figure out how to stop ball hogging. I don't like his pointing to his wrist and his dad was also pulling that nonsense. It is a team we want to watch. The Little Guy needs to stop making love to the mirror and stay focused on defense and making his teammates better on offense. He needs to be a little more like Rondo, pass first.

Now, I concede he has been fantastic and the most consistent player in such greatness, but the last couple games he has not played like a maximum contract player.

He needs to become selfless to get the deal. He is on the clock. Olynyk seems to finally get it that it's now or never as a Celtic. Jae is whining because he could be the best asset on the whole team. He is more aware of the trading deadline than most players.

It's unfortunate Horford is kind of iffy for shooting. Bradley is one of the main guys you don't want to lose. Smart covers his defense, and Crowder sometimes can cover the shooting part, but we are clearly impacted when our top players are hurt.

You can survive a Zeller, but not a Zeller and Jerebko.

You can survive a Rozier, but not if one of the top three guards are out.

Amen