Author Topic: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4  (Read 6316 times)

Re: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe he becomes expendable if Fultz is taken ......IT is going to be a lot of money

He is going to want the same money Mike Conley got

Max of max

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
IT can't defend.
It is a problem that can't be ignored.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 05:51:22 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Maybe he becomes expendable if Fultz is taken ......IT is going to be a lot of money

He is going to want the same money Mike Conley got

Max of max

I don't think he will get a 5 year deal from any team. I think he will get around 100mil/4yrs. He may ask for more but i think that is what he will get

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I listened to the interview and didn't get the OP's impression.  He just thinks we need more talent across the board.  Nothing to see here.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I listened to the interview and didn't get the OP's impression.  He just thinks we need more talent across the board.  Nothing to see here.
Exactly. Not to mention there's a good chance IT might get burnt out before the playoffs having to carry the load so much.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Exactly. Not to mention there's a good chance IT might get burnt out before the playoffs having to carry the load so much.

i see 2 bingos!

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thomas is super fun to watch though.  If your team can't be a contender you might as well have an entertaining team.  I think our best hope of being a contender is by drafting guys and hoping we a true contender in the next generation against teams like the wolves, 76ers and lakers.  Having Thomas here is a nice holdover during this LeBron/Warriors era.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Thomas is super fun to watch though.  If your team can't be a contender you might as well have an entertaining team.  I think our best hope of being a contender is by drafting guys and hoping we a true contender in the next generation against teams like the wolves, 76ers and lakers.  Having Thomas here is a nice holdover during this LeBron/Warriors era.
Thats precisely how I feel but I will still root these guys to go as far as they can. The big picture however is 4-5 years from now.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thats precisely how I feel but I will still root these guys to go as far as they can. The big picture however is 4-5 years from now.
yeah it's nice to have the hope of shocking the world. We are good enough that if some contenders get injured we could maybe steal a title.  But realistically I see this as a holdover era.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If you believe that, then Boston should trade people this summer and maximize the 2018 draft. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If you believe that, then Boston should trade people this summer and maximize the 2018 draft.
You don't have to tank just because our peak may be a few years away.  That's going backwards and they shouldn't do that.  The Nets are terrible for us, we don't have to be terrible too.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
You don't have to tank just because our peak may be a few years away.  That's going backwards and they shouldn't do that.  The Nets are terrible for us, we don't have to be terrible too.
But if you truly believe the peak is 4 to 5 years based on the Nets picks, Boston should absolutely being trying to maximize for that peak, which means trading off vets for picks and letting the young guys get lots of minutes and growth while improving your own draft position to land better players. 

It makes no sense to do that right now, but if Boston can't land a marquee player this summer, then it should look to rebuild because the current group is not going to win and the vets are going to start/continue to stunt the development of young players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
But if you truly believe the peak is 4 to 5 years based on the Nets picks, Boston should absolutely being trying to maximize for that peak, which means trading off vets for picks and letting the young guys get lots of minutes and growth while improving your own draft position to land better players. 

It makes no sense to do that right now, but if Boston can't land a marquee player this summer, then it should look to rebuild because the current group is not going to win and the vets are going to start/continue to stunt the development of young players.

If the Celts again cant get past the 1st round. IT4 plays like he did last playoffs (pretty much 2 good games at home)

Celts draft ball or fultz

I think the Celts should trade IT4 to the Pelicans or Mavs for a top 9 pick

You can draft Jackson, Isaac etc. 

Celts team should be good in 2 seasons

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think it's a bit early to say. Ainge has to finesse a roster were he can pay IT what he deserves and still get another big who can rebound that he can pay, too. I don't know if he has much chance to get a Butler or Haywood or Griffin, and keep IT. I think he might be able to get Noel, fit him in salary wise with IT, and still keep the Nets picks. That would make them better. Bogut is a part-time player at this point. Noel should be the target. They have a big hole up front you could drive a tank through.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The OP's post is the million dollar question.

Can you build a "championship" team with IT as starting point guard? Will his defensive decencies over-ride his offensive production... when paired with better scoring talent around him?

Since he's the PG, with the ball being in his hands much of the time, will he allow another players to flourish enough to be effective on a nightly basis. This would mean, at times he would have to settle for being a facilitator more than a scorer. It would also mean he would have to contribute in other ways beside scoring.

...can he ?