Author Topic: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4  (Read 6288 times)

Re: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Thats why ainge is a good gm... he understands when a team is good or great... and why
The team has not beaten a top 10 team this year... and there is a reason for that

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No, I don't think Ainge is saying that. He just wants that focus on the team and not the individual. And that they need several good players. Not just one. He doesn't want to put all the pressure on Isaiah and have the media freak out if the team doesn't win a Championship before Ainge has time to put more star players around Isaiah on onto this team.

I did like Ainge's comments at the end about players deferring to Isaiah too much. That is definitely an issue. Not happy with how Isaiah-centric this offense has become. Less team orientated than last year. More Isaiah-orientated.

The question is , is the team deferring or IT4 taking too many shots

I complained much more that IT4 was taking too many shots earlier this season but also because he was shooting at an inefficient rate

now he is shooting much more efficiently...

but i still find not having other involved on the offensive end , hurts their enthusiasm/flow of the game on the defensive end

whatever the problem is,  hopefully a fix will come

It's both ... but it starts with Isaiah.

The more Isaiah guns, the less involved others are. The less involved they are, the less aggressive they are. They less aggressive they are, the more they defer to Isaiah.

The rest of the team deserves some criticism for it too but Isaiah is the main culprit. It starts with him. He has created this cycle.

Isaiah needs to be a better team-player (on offense).

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Thats why ainge is a good gm... he understands when a team is good or great... and why
The team has not beaten a top 10 team this year... and there is a reason for that

That's not true and we haven't even played the Clippers yet. If you had said top five, then it would have worked.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
IT4 reminds me of Vinny Johnson from the great Detroit teams, a key player, borderline allstar, but those were Isiah Thomas' and Joe Dumars' teams.  They also had some elite role players in Lambier and Rodman.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
10  11 vs Playoff Teams over .500

Vs the NBA Elite, SA, GST, HST, CLEV and I'll add Toronto your 0 8. Add OKC to that mix your 0 11

16 of 17 losses the opponent has scored more than 100 points.

Telling Stat is, only 4 of 17 losses have been by more than 10 points.

Vs the elite teams including okc, only 1 loss by more than 10 points..

Moral of my story is, Team as constructed is not going to get it done. I believe we know that.
If Cousins is available, you seriously have to consider it. Since he gives you both scoring and rebounding.
Paul George is another...

Anyone else other than the above 2 players, I wait it out with the Draft picks.
But that doesn't mean Ainge gets a pass. You can still upgrade this team by trading for a few one dimensional players who give you that one skill set on either end of the court.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Vs the NBA Elite, SA, GST, HST, CLEV and I'll add Toronto your 0 8. Add OKC to that mix your 0 11

Moral of my story is, Team as constructed is not going to get it done. I believe we know that.
If Cousins is available, you seriously have to consider it. Since he gives you both scoring and rebounding.

But that doesn't mean Ainge gets a pass. You can still upgrade this team by trading for a few one dimensional players who give you that one skill set on either end of the court.
Agree with this post in general, but I am curious why we include OKC but not Utah and Atlanta(teams with better records than OKC) or Memphis who has the same record as OKC.

I am in the camp of either trade Brooklyn '17 for Butler, George, or Cousins, or take the picks and use the next few years as the most competitive rebuild anyone has ever seen while we wait for the Brooklyn pick era to arrive.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:22:02 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
No, I don't think Ainge is saying that. He just wants that focus on the team and not the individual. And that they need several good players. Not just one. He doesn't want to put all the pressure on Isaiah and have the media freak out if the team doesn't win a Championship before Ainge has time to put more star players around Isaiah on onto this team.

I did like Ainge's comments at the end about players deferring to Isaiah too much. That is definitely an issue. Not happy with how Isaiah-centric this offense has become. Less team orientated than last year. More Isaiah-orientated.

I complained much more that IT4 was taking too many shots earlier this season but also because he was shooting at an inefficient rate

but i still find not having other involved on the offensive end , hurts their enthusiasm/flow of the game on the defensive end

The more Isaiah guns, the less involved others are. The less involved they are, the less aggressive they are. They less aggressive they are, the more they defer to Isaiah.

The rest of the team deserves some criticism for it too but Isaiah is the main culprit. It starts with him. He has created this cycle.

i agree..isaiah needs to be a better team player...BUT if the team or anybody else can't knock down shots what do you want him to do? he is carrying this team and he needs help it's that simple...people need to rebound people need to put the ball in the basket....ainge told isaiah you could be a celtics legend!

I passed my physical that night, and while the Celtics were in Sacramento playing the Kings, I watched the game with Danny Ainge in his office — just me and the GM. We talked about the team, about the trade, about me. And he said something to me I couldn’t believe.

“Isaiah … the way you play the game of basketball, you could be a Celtics legend.”

A Celtics legend? I thought he was crazy — like he was just caught up in the excitement and hype of making a big trade.

ttp://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/04/buckley_isaiah_thomas_now_sits_among_celtics_greats

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Why count OKC but not the grizzlies and Jazz (who are ties with/ahead of them)?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 03:34:19 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Why are the Jazz, with the 6th or 7th best record in the league, not a top 10 team?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Agree.

Team would be much better if he averaged 22 and 9 instead 29 and 6.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

Agree.

Team would be much better if he averaged 22 and 9 instead 29 and 6.
Whats the team averaging for points in the last 10 games during IT's hot streak?

I'm pretty sure we are averaging 5-6 or maybe more points per game during his recent play. I wouldn't change a thing about how he's playing.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It shouldn't be a slight on IT to say that he's a great scorer and a star in this league.  Yet, to suggest he's not a superstar or a guy who can carry a team on his back to a championship seems to engender some ire.   Whether or not it's valid conjecture from his response, I am sure Danny recognizes that this team will not ride the back of a 5'9" offensive marvel to the promised land.  IT has to be one of several top players, rather than the best player, for this team to be a legit threat to win it all. 

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 05:23:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It shouldn't be a slight on IT to say that he's a great scorer and a star in this league.  Yet, to suggest he's not a superstar or a guy who can carry a team on his back to a championship seems to engender some ire.   Whether or not it's valid conjecture from his response, I am sure Danny recognizes that this team will not ride the back of a 5'9" offensive marvel to the promised land.  IT has to be one of several top players, rather than the best player, for this team to be a legit threat to win it all.

I agree

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thomas has been super efficient so I don't mind him taking the most shots.  He's a dynamic scorer and he's been very reliable late in the game.   Horford is the best player on the team.  We still don't have a superstar and lack size so we have a ceiling preventing us from being a contender, but we still have trades and the draft to look forward to.   Maybe we will get a superstar someday soon.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Maybe he becomes expendable if Fultz is taken ......IT is going to be a lot of money