Author Topic: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Check out the link below.  This is perception I get. The reporter asked a straight forward question along the lines if Ainge was confident you can build this team around IT4.  And instead of a solid confident simple "yes" , he went to speak about how the team needs 8-9 great players in the roster , don't want the team to rely on IT4 to do all the scoring.. etc 

The problem is, I bet IT4 does not see it the same way.  He loves what is going on now and would score 40 ppg if possible.  Scorers mentality? Selfish?  It's just the way IT4 is for the good and the bad

And if Danny wants other guys to step up and take the shot...well the problem is how can they most of the time when IT4 has the ball in his hands or the team relies on the PNR and he is part of it 80 percent of the time. 

Ainge also mentioned It has been fun to watch IT4 on the offensive end but said nothing about defense or all around game.   I don't know exactly what Ainge thinks about how the team is operating these days.  Doesn't sound like he is overly thrilled....

listen to the interview below

http://www.csnne.com/video/ainge-little-concerned-team-going-depend-isaiah-too-much
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:49:09 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Doesn't sound like Ainge is confident to build the team around IT4
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I'm sure that if you ask him what his name is you won't get a clear answer.
He always keeps his thoughts for him and tries to keep the rest in the dark in order to serve his cause.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And if Danny wants other guys to step up and take the shot...well the problem is how can they most of the time when IT4 has the ball in his hands or the team relies on the PNR and he is part of it 80 percent of the time. 

I think the opposite is true a lot though.  All too often we have a guy shooting the shot that is not a good shooter.   Some of on the team have no business taking a clutch shot but all too often they end up with the ball.  I cringe when Smart takes one for instance but he does shoot better in the clutch than normal.  Sometimes Crowder thinks he is a world beater and takes those shots, he is shooting at a high percentage this year, but I don't always trust him.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I don't see his answer as any lack of faith in IT4. It is actually an excellent answer and says what we all know, that you need several guys who can score if you want to win titles, not just one guy. Red had said once you need 8 guys to win titles, Ainge is basically saying the same thing. We have a few guys, we need several more.

What if he had said a simple 'yes' and then he trades for Butler or Cousins in a few weeks? The team is then not built around IT4 anymore, as either of those two are equal or greater than IT4.

Saying a simple yes is also a slight at Horford, and possibly at guys like AB , Crowder and Smart, KO , Brown, and Rozier.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:03:09 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
From what I can tell, I don't think those draft picks are likely not going anywhere. We're gonna build through the draft. This current team is gonna keep the Celtics relevant, but well be CONTENDING when guys like Smart/Brown/ those draft picks  are seasoned enough to start.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't see his answer as any lack of faith in IT4. It is actually an excellent answer and says what we all know, that you need several guys who can score if you want to win titles, not just one guy. Red had said once you need 8 guys to win titles, Ainge is basically saying the same thing. We have a few guys, we need several more.

What if he had said a simple 'yes' and then he trades for Butler or Cousins in a few weeks? The team is then not built around IT4 anymore, as either of those two are equal or greater than IT4.

Saying a simple yes is also a slight at Horford, and possibly at guys like AB , Crowder and Smart, KO , Brown, and Rozier.
I didn't take it like that at all.  If we had someone like James, Durant, etc., do you think that is Ainge's response to that same question.  I sure don't.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He's saying that he needs help. The team isn't good enough for IT to carry by himself. They need another star/scorer on this team.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I didn't take it like that at all.  If we had someone like James, Durant, etc., do you think that is Ainge's response to that same question.  I sure don't.

Yeah, of course, that's why I said he phrased it that way in case he does trade for a guy like Butler or Cousins or signs someone this summer. We need more top tier scorers. Ainge is smart though, and he also I am sure considered not outright offending the current players, especially considering Crowder's tantrum over Hayward not too long ago.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Check out the link below.  This is perception I get. The reporter asked a straight forward question along the lines if Ainge was confident you can build this team around IT4.  And instead of a solid confident simple "yes" , he went to speak about how the team needs 8-9 great players in the roster , don't want the team to rely on IT4 to do all the scoring.. etc 

The problem is, I bet IT4 does not see it the same way.  He loves what is going on now and would score 40 ppg if possible.  Scorers mentality? Selfish?  It's just the way IT4 is for the good and the bad

Ainge also mentioned It has been fun to watch IT4 on the offensive end but said nothing about defense or all around game.   I don't know exactly what Ainge thinks about how the team is operating these days.  Doesn't sound like he is overly thrilled....

listen to the interview below

http://www.csnne.com/video/ainge-little-concerned-team-going-depend-isaiah-too-much

Wasn't the end-of-game shot to tie it drawn up for a Rozier? There was also a Smart to Crowder late inbounds play drawn up (that was thrown away). The team definitely relies on IT4's offense a lot and rightfully so, as he's an elite scorer. But CBS draws up some great late-game plays that are for other players.

Sometimes IT4 forces shots, but not nearly as much as other top scorers. I'm usually fine with his shot selection.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:05 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
IT is not all around player. He is fantastic scorer but not the best player on a championship team. To be the best player on a championship player you need not just be great scorer but you need to make all those around you better. I love IT but he has some weaknesses. He isn't good defender and he doesn't make those around him better. We won't win a championship with IT our main guy. But as a second best player on a championship team i would take IT in a heartbeat. Horford is also at most second best player on a championship team so even if IT signs new deal i think DA will continue to look for that guy who will be our number one.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
He's aware this type of basketball won't cut it in the playoffs.

No slight to IT.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The reality is, no one else on this team can really score consistently every night.

That's not really IT's fault, but that's just how the team is constructed.

They obviously aren't winning the chip this year, and likely not next either.

I would think Ainge going forward would build and add with a core of IT/Horford/Smart/Brown/Zizic/2017NetsPick, etc. and one of Crowder/Bradley.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

In all fairness, in last year's playoffs, once IT was contained by the Hawks players, he did just that, give up the ball to other players or let them create their own shot... and no one could hit a shot...

Yeah, Bradley was injured, but still.. even open looks they couldn't knock down.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No, I don't think Ainge is saying that. He just wants that focus on the team and not the individual. And that they need several good players. Not just one. He doesn't want to put all the pressure on Isaiah and have the media freak out if the team doesn't win a Championship before Ainge has time to put more star players around Isaiah on onto this team.

I did like Ainge's comments at the end about players deferring to Isaiah too much. That is definitely an issue. Not happy with how Isaiah-centric this offense has become. Less team orientated than last year. More Isaiah-orientated.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No, I don't think Ainge is saying that. He just wants that focus on the team and not the individual. And that they need several good players. Not just one. He doesn't want to put all the pressure on Isaiah and have the media freak out if the team doesn't win a Championship before Ainge has time to put more star players around Isaiah on onto this team.

I did like Ainge's comments at the end about players deferring to Isaiah too much. That is definitely an issue. Not happy with how Isaiah-centric this offense has become. Less team orientated than last year. More Isaiah-orientated.

The question is , is the team deferring or IT4 taking too many shots

I complained much more that IT4 was taking too many shots earlier this season but also because he was shooting at an inefficient rate

now he is shooting much more efficiently...

but i still find not having other involved on the offensive end , hurts their enthusiasm/flow of the game on the defensive end

whatever the problem is,  hopefully a fix will come
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:52:26 PM by triboy16f »