Author Topic: What would your game plan be against the C's?  (Read 1742 times)

What would your game plan be against the C's?
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The team you've drawn in the playoff is the Boston Celtics, what would be your over-all game plan be? How would you plan to beat the C's?

Re: What would your game plan be against the C's?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Crash the boards, jam up Isaiah Thomas on pick and rolls and force him to pass, also be really physical with him off the ball on both ends to tire him out,  try to get everybody other than Thomas to take jumpers.  When Isaiah goes inside, have my bigs be rough with him to wear him out over the course of multiple games, even if it results in a lot of free throws at first. Really try to make the Celts go to other guys and take a lot of jumpers. I wouldn't respect that the Celts shooters can beat me if I don't let Thomas get going.

On offense, try to get my best perimeter scorer switched onto Thomas and really go at him physically.  Attack the rim and trust my bigs to create extra possessions.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
As Pho said, in the D try to restrict (and wear out) IT as much as possible even if this means some other Celts will get free looks. You basically bet that if you keep IT low enough on scoring, the rest won't be able to make up for it.

Offensively, again as Pho mentioned, IT is a weakness to exploit, esp. if you have an elite offensive guards like Washington and TOR. Beyond that, it really depends on what the other team has, I think it is hard to generalize.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Let's say it's Charlotte.

Offensively, I'd run IT through a ton of pick and rolls/pops, specifically with Marvin Williams, who Al simply can't guard out on the perimeter. This will either get you an open shot or a mismatch. The other times I would try and get IT switched onto Batum or Kemba on Al/Amir. Either way, I'd focus on making IT work defensively and put him through a ton of picks and contact or get him in isolation.

Defensively, I'd alternate Batum, MKG, and Kemba on IT and make the rest of the team beat me. Put a long, athletic defender on him, make him go right, and make the rest of the team hit shots to beat me.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
As Pho said, in the D try to restrict (and wear out) IT as much as possible even if this means some other Celts will get free looks. You basically bet that if you keep IT low enough on scoring, the rest won't be able to make up for it.

Offensively, again as Pho mentioned, IT is a weakness to exploit, esp. if you have an elite offensive guards like Washington and TOR. Beyond that, it really depends on what the other team has, I think it is hard to generalize.

I understand that not knowing the strong suits of "your" team, (being a hypothetical team) it's difficult to plan strategy, but this is going like I thought it would.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Yeah I pretty much do the same thing. Trap IT with the ball, and look to score on him the other way. Get second chance Points and points in the paint on rebounds and backing down Isaiah. I'm using a lot of motion and dribble hand-offs to protect the ball against the perimeter d and to get the matchup I want.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
- Crash the boards
- Trap IT
- Force Smart to shoot 3's
- Play PnR against Celtic bigs.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
force the ball out of IT hands and force anyone and everyone else to shoot. Get every defensive and offensive rebound.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I agree with the general assessment of how teams should play us.  So would anyone be surprised if we get bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs again? 

Assuming the Cavs, Raptors, Celtics and Hawks are the top 4 seeds, which team would you not want to face in the 1st round?  I was thinking the Bucks especially if the get Middleton back but they are a young team.  The Hornets actually have a better point differential than us but for some reason I'm not worried about them. 

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Rebound and play offense
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Go big as we can't stop them

Bully IT physically, CLE does it every time and it works.

Leave the non-shooters open so they can shoot us out of the game and D our shooters hard.  Dare them to shoot.

Crash the boards, we are not a great rebounding team.

Looking up this thread, my plan is very similar to PhoSita's

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Two keys to the game: ice IT in the PnR and crash the boards. Occasionally, some of the other players might get hot but they're not beating you in a 7 game series.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
don't respect anyone's drive, play them for the pass because everyone takes 2 dribbles and looks to pass. let IT get his points, everyone else play their guy honest and when and if IT decides to pass he'll throw it right to the defense. all the good teams already do this.

i'd say crash the boards but there's no need to put extra emphasis on it, no one knows how to box out on this team so the opposition will outrebound them while hardly trying to.