Author Topic: How are we going to fix our defense?  (Read 5447 times)

Re: How are we going to fix our defense?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 02:30:55 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Great responses to the question here and I agree with the consensus that we need to add a solid big. Only thing I can add is someone in the crowd with a huge cardboard 'D' sitting next to someone with a picture of a fence (picket).

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
(1) Get Isaiah to share the ball on offense. Involvement in offense leads to effort on defense. Isaiah is doing a great job looking after himself but a bad job looking after his teammates.

(2) A three man backcourt of Isaiah, Bradley and Smart. No Rozier.

(3) Jerebko should start ahead of Amir Johnson. The starting lineup needs more defensive quickness. Amir and Olynyk off the bench. Two bigs should be on the court 90% (or more) of the time.

(4) Gerald Green and Jaylen Brown to battle it out for backup SF minutes. Stay bigger on the wing. Green for shooting / scoring. Brown for rebounding & defense.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Can we get a stat guy to show if offense is up this year throughout the NBA because it sure feels that way.

I think offensive systems are just getting harder to defend. You look at the Blazers who have two of the best scoring guards in the league and then they run a high pick and roll with one of their bigs. As good as Smart is you aren't going to get through every pick and switches happen and a big ends up defending CJ or Lilliard or there isn't a switch and the defender gets a step behind and that never ends well with CJ or Lilliard going to the hoop. Then you have the other guard sticking to his guy cause you don't want to help off him and everyone else is pretty spaced out on every team. Maybe if we had a young quick Big who could switch and defend guards and cover a ton of ground we would be better but we don't.

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's not all defense folks, though it is part of the problem.  Amir is old  did not pull his weight yesterday, we had two bench players play well and the rest did not.  Our effort could be better for sure on D, but at some level one has to admit we do not have the talent that the top teams have.   If we take a night off in terms of effort, we will lose. 

Ainge has done a wonderful job during the rebuild as we are a decent team and we have solid assets still rolling in.  I think that we may have to get a solid big like many others here.  I also think we have to put more effort out, and not allow ourselves to get out-played and bullied on the court.   I thought both losses this week were affected by allowing ourselves to be less physical than our opponent.   We seem to be a finesse team, excepting a few players like Smart and JC when his head is straight.  I think the word is out and other team seek to bully us.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
1) Get and stay healthy

2) Find someone who can rebound to replace Amir

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yeah we need a big, but at the same time we need to play better perimeter D. our bigs when in position to defend their own guy are not that bad, i'd say their at least avg. to good.

it's when they're out of position compensating for horrible D on the perimeter they look awful.

Rozier should really never see the floor imo. early in the season we had reasons to play him but now Green and Brown should be on the floor instead. yes Green's D isn't much better than Rozier's as far as P n' R D goes but Green's offense and consistency is light yrs. ahead. the only reason Rozier is on the floor now is to justify the horrible pick. the 3 guard line up should only exist when AB, Smart and IT are healthy. and even then I hate being that small... this roster sucks Ainge needs to stop thinking small. 

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
If Amir is not rotating or playing pick and roll defense, there is no reason to play him.  I don't think the Celtics will make a trade to improve their rebounding or interior defense before the trade deadline, instead they will wait to see who is bought out. 

If Tyson Chandler is bought out I hope DA hops a jet immediately and camps out in Chandler's front yard until he signs with the Cs.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Replace Amir with Boogie.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
It's not all defense folks, though it is part of the problem.  Amir is old  did not pull his weight yesterday, we had two bench players play well and the rest did not.  Our effort could be better for sure on D, but at some level one has to admit we do not have the talent that the top teams have.   If we take a night off in terms of effort, we will lose. 

Ainge has done a wonderful job during the rebuild as we are a decent team and we have solid assets still rolling in.  I think that we may have to get a solid big like many others here.  I also think we have to put more effort out, and not allow ourselves to get out-played and bullied on the court.   I thought both losses this week were affected by allowing ourselves to be less physical than our opponent.   We seem to be a finesse team, excepting a few players like Smart and JC when his head is straight.  I think the word is out and other team seek to bully us.

Amir's offensive rebounding kept us in the game multiple times yesterday.

As usual, it was the guard play of the Blazers that killed us, and eventually started getting their bigs open.

The blame lies almost completely on Isaiah, who is for all intents and purposes like a 12 year old on defense.

But what are we gonna do about it?  It's either take the good with the bad for Isaiah or trade him.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
(1) Get Isaiah to share the ball on offense. Involvement in offense leads to effort on defense. Isaiah is doing a great job looking after himself but a bad job looking after his teammates.
Is this really a problem? Thomas is a shoot-first point guard, but he has an AST% of 31, slightly above average for his position, and the Celtics overall are second in the league in percentage of assisted baskets. You don't see guys average 8+ assists in motion offenses, just look at Parker or Curry in the Warriors current system.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

We MISSED Jerebko off the bench!!!  Not saying that we didn't miss AB and Zeller as well.  Also, Marcus was playing on an injured ankle as well and Young was finally available, but didn't play.  Wow, how are we going to get thru 4 games in 5 nights and 5 in 6 nights with such a limited rotation???????

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I love Isaiah, I really do. His offense has clearly won us a lot of games this year - but our defensive problems out on the perimeter are mostly because of him. I dont think its because of lack of effort, but his shortcomings on D lead him to taking chances and hurting the team defense in the process. But what do you do? I mean, you can't take his defense out, but he just can't matchup with guys like Lillard, Irving, Westbrook. I still maintain our best starting lineup would be Smart and Bradley because Bradley and Crowder have come so far as shooters that strecthing the floor with them isn't a problem. IT will always be an offensive sparkplug, but those guys are best coming off the bench - they always have been and always will be.

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Also, rebounding, but that is too obvious of a problem. Those second chance threes kill us.

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More effort. Better communication.

This is basically the same team as the last half of last year with vastly different results. Its simply up to the players to play better.

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
size in the backcourt and rebounding up front.  The backcourt is just really small.  Teams can just shoot over them, especially when Smart is at SF.  Rebounding is obvious because that creates second chances for your opponents and eliminates them for you.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip