Author Topic: How are we going to fix our defense?  (Read 5446 times)

How are we going to fix our defense?
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'd like to hear some other ideas from you guys, because it's been pretty blatantly highlighted the last several games that we're not doing anything in the playoffs until our defense gets fixed. Here are the issues as I see them:

1) Rebounding - clearly, you simply can't give up second chance points every other possession.

2) Defensive Miscommunication - As seen with the IT/Smart miscommunication, we just don't talk to each other on defense, and this leads to miscommunication on switches and rotations.

3) Pick and Roll Defense - This is probably where we're the worst, and I see it mainly as a problem with our bigs not understanding how to hedge the ball handler and properly get back to cover their own man. Though it's also an issue with some of our guards not being able to adequately get around screens and miscommunication on whether or not to switch.

4) Horford/Amir's Inability to Guard out on the Perimeter - To me, this is such a great disservice to Horford's defensive abilities, because he's clearly best near the rim where he can "quarterback" the defense. He just doesn't have the foot speed and mobility to be out chasing guys on the perimeter. And this shouldn't be a surprise either, because this is the first time in his career that he's playing the Power Forward position. And Amir just doesn't have the athleticism to do it this year anymore.

We have the individual pieces to be an elite defensive team. Smart, Bradley, Crowder, and Al are all probably top-5 individual defenders at their position, and Amir and JJ are both good defenders in their own right.

So how do we change this lackluster defense that we've exhibited the first half of this year? I have some ideas of my own, but I'd like to hear how others think we should fix this and if they see other particular defensive issues.

Re: How are we going to fix our defense?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Someone else mentioned this, but I agree!!  We need a true big that is a solid interior defender and shot blocker!!

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
How did defense go from being this team's hallmark, to its weakness?

There were many pundits predicting the Celtics would be a top 2 defense in the leagut this year.

Is it as simple as an overachieving team having the underdog mindset the last two seasons, then thinking they were good enough to simply "outscore" teams this year by shooting 30 3's a night this season?

Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let's add some size

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The C's lack size, and quickness in the front court. Horford has some good qualities, but quickness and explosiveness isn't one of them. Same can be said of KO and Amir. All three aren't quick off their feet to contest, or block out opposing teams best rebounders.

We need to find a big that has quickness, explosiveness, and good size to defend/rebound in the paint.

Also we need to investigate why we can no longer defend opposing guards too.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Terry rozier
Gerald green
Jordan mickey
Jaylen brown

These guys (weak links) need to be replaced in the rotation by competent wing defenders in order for the defense to get better.

Also, one of the bigs - - Horford, KO, Amir, Jerebko - - needs to be replaced with somebody who grabs at least 25% of defensive boards. A real glass eater.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Get Noel.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 08:44:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
How did defense go from being this team's hallmark, to its weakness?

There were many pundits predicting the Celtics would be a top 2 defense in the leagut this year.

Is it as simple as an overachieving team having the underdog mindset the last two seasons, then thinking they were good enough to simply "outscore" teams this year by shooting 30 3's a night this season?

The best guys are mostly good defenders but none of them is a particularly good defensive rebounder.

On the bench, we've just got too many guys lacking experience to maintain quality team defense. That's where we really miss Turner and Sullinger.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I don't really understand it either. The Celtics allow the 7th fewest shots in the restricted area, so it's not like teams are getting to the rim against them often. They're also average in opponent points in the paint and opponent FG% there. And they have the sixth lowest opponent 3P%.

They're 28th in opponent 2nd chance points per possession, but they were 24th last season. So it's not like they weren't already terrible at it. It might come down to last season they were 4th in the league at forcing turnovers. This season, they're 14th.

They seem to be average at most faucets of defense and poor in the same places they were last year. I don't know why they've fallen to 21st in defense after being a top 5 team last season.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't really understand it either. The Celtics allow the 7th fewest shots in the restricted area, so it's not like teams are getting to the rim against them often. They're also average in opponent points in the paint and opponent FG% there. And they have the sixth lowest opponent 3P%.

They're 28th in opponent 2nd chance points per possession, but they were 24th last season. Last season they were 4th in the league at forcing turnovers. This season, they're 14th.

They seem to be average at most faucets of defense and poor in the same places they were last year. I don't know why they've fallen to 21st in defense after being a top 5 team last season.

Defensive rebounding

Forced turnovers

Free throws

Certain small lineups giving up big runs
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Terry rozier
Gerald green
Jordan mickey
Jaylen brown

These guys (weak links) need to be replaced in the rotation by competent wing defenders in order for the defense to get better.

Also, one of the bigs - - Horford, KO, Amir, Jerebko - - needs to be replaced with somebody who grabs at least 25% of defensive boards. A real glass eater.

I'm not sure it can be boiled down just to that. They have been terrible defensively, but there have been games where Rozier, Brown, and Green have all hardly played and we still look terrible defensively. The starters have been pretty bad defensively themselves.

Moving Al back to the 5 seems to be the first and most essential move that needs to be made. Getting a better rebounder and someone mobile enough to play next to Al seems to be the next course of action.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Terry rozier
Gerald green
Jordan mickey
Jaylen brown

I'm not sure it can be boiled down just to that. They have been terrible defensively, but there have been games where Rozier, Brown, and Green have all hardly played and we still look terrible defensively. The starters have been pretty bad defensively themselves.

Moving Al back to the 5 seems to be the first and most essential move that needs to be made. Getting a better rebounder and someone mobile enough to play next to Al seems to be the next course of action.

Big challenge is finding somebody mobile enough to defend at the four but who can also defend the glass.

Who out there is a four defensively but a five offensively? Faried?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
The C's lack size, and quickness in the front court. Horford has some good qualities, but quickness and explosiveness isn't one of them. Same can be said of KO and Amir. All three aren't quick off their feet to contest, or block out opposing teams best rebounders.

We need to find a big that has quickness, explosiveness, and good size to defend/rebound in the paint.

Also we need to investigate why we can no longer defend opposing guards too.

Welcome to the Celtics Jonathan Isaac:-)!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

They're 28th in opponent 2nd chance points per possession, but they were 24th last season. Last season they were 4th in the league at forcing turnovers. This season, they're 14th.

Defensive rebounding

Forced turnovers

Free throws

Certain small lineups giving up big runs
They were bottom five in defensive rebounding last season too. And opponents are not capitalizing on these opportunities considerably more than last year.

Forcing turnovers comes down to luck more than skill, so I guess it's not surprising they regressed. The Milwaukee Bucks experienced the same thing three seasons ago. But going from elite to average shouldn't take their defense from elite to terrible.

They give up 25 free throws per 100 possesions. Bottom five in the NBA. Last season, we gave up 25.6 bottom five in the NBA. They've always fouled for fun.

It might be some our lineups. Maybe when Avery comes back, things will improve, but as of right now, there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer. The Celtics haven't gotten bad enough at things they were good at, to explain why they stink on defense.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Fire Stevens! Hire Tibs!
 I joke, I kid...