Author Topic: Markelle Fultz vs D'Angelo Russell?  (Read 5632 times)

Markelle Fultz vs D'Angelo Russell?
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Comparable?

Both are thick, strong guards, skilled , silky jumper.  But not very explosive/quick
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:52:53 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Markelle Fultz vs D'Angelo Russell?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah I hear fultz is similar and a little better.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Fultz all they way.  Not sure there is anything Russell does significantly better than Fultz.  Fultz is a better athlete, he drives and finishes at the rim much better and he's a better defender.  Russell probably wouldn't be a top 5 pick in this draft.  The Lakers best prospect is Ingram not Russell.   

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Fultz is generally considered Russell + athleticism.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Can you explain the athleticism part?  Fultz is a smooth operator.   But it's not like he is able to blow by guys or finish with a thunderous dunk.... actually i haven't even seen him dunk yet or finish above the rim at the ncaa level

for this reason I think Russell, Beal, McCollum (not saying Fultz won't be better) comparisons are better than comparing Fultz to say Harden...

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Fultz all they way.  Not sure there is anything Russell does significantly better than Fultz.  Fultz is a better athlete, he drives and finishes at the rim much better and he's a better defender.  Russell probably wouldn't be a top 5 pick in this draft.  The Lakers best prospect is Ingram not Russell.

Not only that, but I think that Fultz is a better pure PG than Russel. I'm not saying in any way that Fultz is a pure/pass first PG because he's definitely a scoring point, but he's just a more creative passer and approaches the pick and roll looking to make plays for not only himself, but also for his teammates which is something I can't say with Russell.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Can you explain the athleticism part?  Fultz is a smooth operator.   But it's not like he is able to blow by guys or finish with a thunderous dunk.... actually i haven't even seen him dunk yet or finish above the rim at the ncaa level

for this reason I think Russell, Beal, McCollum (not saying Fultz won't be better) comparisons are better than comparing Fultz to say Harden...
Fultz isn't an elite athlete but he's a very good athlete.  He doesn't dunk much but he doesn't need to because he's an elite below the basket finisher.  His athleticism shows in his 1.4 blocks per game.  This highlight shows why Fultz is the #1 pick even has a few dunks for you.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA9Uw6Fhm6Y 

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Fultz isn't an elite athlete but he's a very good athlete.  He doesn't dunk much but he doesn't need to because he's an elite below the basket finisher.  His athleticism shows in his 1.4 blocks per game.  This highlight shows why Fultz is the #1 pick even has a few dunks for you.   
Ive read this, but he finishes around the basket at a lower rate than Ball, Smith Jr. and Fox.

Id imagine he has a higher degree of difficulty due to being on a pretty Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty team. Perhaps that explains it.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Not only that, but I think that Fultz is a better pure PG than Russel. I'm not saying in any way that Fultz is a pure/pass first PG because he's definitely a scoring point, but he's just a more creative passer and approaches the pick and roll looking to make plays for not only himself, but also for his teammates which is something I can't say with Russell.
I agree.  The Lakers spent Summer League and preseason to try to mold Russell into more of a PG.  It was rather ugly at times. 

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah, >1 spg and >1 bpg is considered a good signal of athleticism that will translate to the next level. Fultz is at 1.8/1.4 while Russell was at 1.6/0.3.

Fultz has some nice chasedown and weakside blocks if you look that up. I do wonder whether he likes those because they are flashy.

No question they have similarities though, in style and numbers.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Fultz is better than Russell already.

Isnt the OP a Ball fan?

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

From what I've seen, he does seem bouncier than Russell. I've definitely seen some monster transition dunks from Fultz (although most guys can get up in transition), while I genuinely cannot remember a single Russell dunk. Furthermore, I trust pros like the guys at DX, Sam Vecenie, Kevin O'Connor, etc. when they say that he's more athletic.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think every highlight video I watch of Ball, there's a chase down block lol. This guy is talented, nifty passer, superb athlete, and just seems like a leader on the floor.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Fultz is better than Russell already.

Isnt the OP a Ball fan?

I like Ball.. not sure about his fit with the Celtics

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He's better than Russell. Russell really struggled more than people remember once conference play started, and his flaws in college have translated straight to the pros.

Markelle can get to the rim, he is a good finisher although he's more crafty than explosive there. He's been a one man show on an awful team.

I still think he's clearly the top guy.