Author Topic: Trailblazers (18-26) at Celtics (26-16) Game #43 1/21/17  (Read 40542 times)

Re: Trailblazers (18-26) at Celtics (26-16) Game #43 1/21/17
« Reply #480 on: January 21, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I have a friend that refuses to watch pro basketball, his reasoning... the refs suck. I'm beginning to see his point.

As suspect as our front line is...we just can't contain opposing guards. Opposing backcourts are having their way with us.

What IT giveith IT takeith away.

I'm sorry, but the realization is difficult to except I know. It's not like he doesn't work at it either, IT is an exceptional competitor. The fact is, size and length have a lot to do with containing your man.

A clear passing lane at any level, is a clear passing lane. An open shot because the defenders hands are at your elbows...is still an open shot. Effort in these cases is secondary.

« Reply #481 on: January 21, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I have a friend that refuses to watch pro basketball, his reasoning... the refs suck. I'm beginning to see his point.

As suspect as our front line is...we just can't contain opposing guards. Opposing backcourts are having their way with us.

I get close to his position sometimes.  The refs today are fearful, as in afraid to not blow the whistle when there may have been a foul.  The remedy, blow the whistle all the time, anticipation whistles, guessed at fouls, etc.  A foul should only be a foul when you see it and/or hear it, not when you think: well, there must have been some contact there.

Bingo!

« Reply #482 on: January 21, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I get close to his position sometimes.  The refs today are fearful, as in afraid to not blow the whistle when there may have been a foul.  The remedy, blow the whistle all the time, anticipation whistles, guessed at fouls, etc.  A foul should only be a foul when you see it and/or hear it, not when you think: well, there must have been some contact there.

Bingo!
i still refuse to ever blame the refs. 

Anyways, Portland was due for a win. We are fine.  Trade deadline is coming up. I hope we add size even if it's a second or third tier big like Cauley Stein. 

Am I the only one here that is totally at peace with the idea of trading Marcus (as long as we get solid return)?   With us likely adding a superior guard via the draft, I am kind of fine with it.  Sure, he might miraculously develop a consist shot but it's becoming less and less likely.

« Reply #483 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I dont know how this teams defense got that much worse this season. Rozier was advertised as a very good defensive player, but he has been average at best, bradley wants to be defensive player of the year but is regressing on defense every season, sometimes it looks like they dont care on defense because their offense will carry them.
Very disappointet..

« Reply #484 on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The numbers just don't back this up though.

What IT giveth offensively is substantially greater than what he takes away defensively.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #485 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

What IT giveth offensively is substantially greater than what he takes away defensively.

Sure if you want to try to win every game in the 4th Q by scoring over 100 points. In the playoffs he will be keyed on for both sides of the ball.

« Reply #486 on: January 21, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Yep he's fools gold.  Come playoff time stop IT, stop the C's

Sure if you want to try to win every game in the 4th Q by scoring over 100 points. In the playoffs he will be keyed on for both sides of the ball.

« Reply #487 on: January 21, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

People are focusing on him now, too, but that doesn't mean they can actually stop him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #488 on: January 21, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Bingo!
i still refuse to ever blame the refs. 

Anyways, Portland was due for a win. We are fine.  Trade deadline is coming up. I hope we add size even if it's a second or third tier big like Cauley Stein. 

Am I the only one here that is totally at peace with the idea of trading Marcus (as long as we get solid return)?   With us likely adding a superior guard via the draft, I am kind of fine with it.  Sure, he might miraculously develop a consist shot but it's becoming less and less likely.

Id be more at peace with trading Bradley.

« Reply #489 on: January 21, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm sorry, but the realization is difficult to except I know. It's not like he doesn't work at it either, IT is an exceptional competitor. The fact is, size and length have a lot to do with containing your man.

A clear passing lane at any level, is a clear passing lane. An open shot because the defenders hands are at your elbows...is still an open shot. Effort in these cases is secondary.

IT is a real issue on defense but you can't put all of this on him.  Both Bradley and Crowder have given some noticeably poor defensive efforts and it's not like IT has telepathically made our bigs stink at guarding the pick-n-role.  This is something with the whole team except Smart, which means it's also on the coaches.

Mike

« Reply #490 on: January 21, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Every team bigs kill us and look all world.   Time for Danny to get a big to help us.  Small is great when it works but all too often lately teams are ready for it and exploit it.

« Reply #491 on: January 21, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Missed the game. Looks like another disappointing loss. Portland were due though.

This team does give up a lot of points lately..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #492 on: January 21, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
One potential benefit of a C's loss - it puts Sacramento even farther out of the playoff race, especially if the Nuggets also end up winning against the Clips tonight. So there's that.

« Reply #493 on: January 21, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
One potential benefit of a C's loss - it puts Sacramento even farther out of the playoff race, especially if the Nuggets also end up winning against the Clips tonight. So there's that.
tp

« Reply #494 on: January 22, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If we lose this, we'll be hearing from a certain poster about how the sixers beat the blazers and we didn't

So lets win this!

Edit: and TP FL
*cough*
I trust Danny Ainge