Author Topic: Imagine The Pick Lands #2; Willing To Trade It Or Still Draft?  (Read 4118 times)

Re: Imagine The Pick Lands #2; Willing To Trade It Or Still Draft?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Nets ending up with the worst record is not guaranteed.  Even if they do, there is only a 25% chance of actually getting the #1 pick.  If Butler becomes available for the 2017 Nets 1st, Crowder, 2019 Memphis 1st plus filler, I do that deal and I think Ainge would too.  He didn't sign Horford to a MAX contract to tread water waiting for Lebron's decline.  We'd be the clear #2 in the East and still have the 2018 Nets 1st, Brown and Smart for our youth rebuild. 

Then we might be able to snag a good big in free agency or maybe the Clippers breakup and we could snag Jordan or the Kings finally decide to trade Cousins.

You do remember why Rivers left Boston, Right? He will never break up the Clippers. He will ride them till their window closes, the problem he has is that he is unable to see that the window closed when he decided to run and coach the team.
I didn't say Rivers would breakup the Clippers.  Griffin and Paul are both free agents.  If the Clips lose again in the 1st round or even suffer a bad beat in the 2nd round, they might start looking for greener pastures.  If they do leave, Rivers isn't going to rebuild around Jordan. 

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Absolutely you do that trade. I don't get how Jimmy G. Buckets gets no respect but a guy like PG13 is coveted. If we got #1, I'm keeping Fultz but otherwise, I'm open to trading #2 and Rozier + salaries (eg Zeller) and 1-2 2nd rounders for Butler.
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Lets say we end up with the #2 pick in the draft, and Fultz goes #1 as expected.

Would you still be willing to work out a deal for a guy like Butler with the #2 pick

No.

We all have to understand that with the new CBA rules draft picks, especially top-5, are more valuable than ever.  If you draft a future All-Star you can effectively keep that player for at least a decade, if not longer.

There is no way you trade that for a possible 2-year rental for a guy in his late 20s.  This is not a knock on Jimmy Butler at all, but he simply is not worth a top-5 lottery pick in today's NBA.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The Nets ending up with the worst record is not guaranteed.  Even if they do, there is only a 25% chance of actually getting the #1 pick.  If Butler becomes available for the 2017 Nets 1st, Crowder, 2019 Memphis 1st plus filler, I do that deal and I think Ainge would too.  He didn't sign Horford to a MAX contract to tread water waiting for Lebron's decline.  We'd be the clear #2 in the East and still have the 2018 Nets 1st, Brown and Smart for our youth rebuild. 

Then we might be able to snag a good big in free agency or maybe the Clippers breakup and we could snag Jordan or the Kings finally decide to trade Cousins.

There is NO WAY Danny is giving up Crowder plus the 2017 Nets pick (plus another 1st) for Jimmy Butler.  And Chicago will ask for Smart over Crowder if they are really going to rebuild.

Edit:  I should note that "no way" is probably too strong, you never know.  But this team is not built to contend by swapping out Crowder for Butler.  WE NEED REBOUNDING.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
It depends on who we get in return, in the trade.   But if it was a proven superstar, I would consider trading it over a draft unknown.

I don't see it happening then. Butler is no superstar, and all the other superstars will be untouchable.

Not sure which basketball world you're living in to not qualify Butler as a superstar.

25, 7 and 5 with 2 steals 46% shooting and 36% from three. Top six in MVP voting and an all start starter all qualify.
Star, not superstar.
the lines between those things are kinda fuzzy. subjective.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not against trading the #2 to improve the team but I'd rather use it to improve our issues up front than add another SG.  we have plenty of players for the 1-3 positions.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Keep it. Lonzo ball almost as good as Fultz

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 06:27:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't see it happening then. Butler is no superstar, and all the other superstars will be untouchable.

I did not name a player, I stated a superstar.   I would trade the pick for one because a draft pick is more of a risk than a proven NBA question.

Don't ask questions if you're afraid to get answers that throw your little premise on its head.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

There is NO WAY Danny is giving up Crowder plus the 2017 Nets pick (plus another 1st) for Jimmy Butler.  And Chicago will ask for Smart over Crowder if they are really going to rebuild.

Edit:  I should note that "no way" is probably too strong, you never know.  But this team is not built to contend by swapping out Crowder for Butler.  WE NEED REBOUNDING.
On second thought, I think I'd rather trade Bradley than Crowder. 

As for Ainge making the trade, he offered a lot to try to trade up to take Winslow.  Signing Horford was a win now move and Ainge knows that the current team is not a contender.  I don't think he's going to be content to tread water.  If he has to overpay a bit to get a star like Butler, I think he would do it. 

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Would I trade it if it's #2? I'd trade it id is #1 if it's the right package.

And I would absolutely trade crowder and the 2017 pick for Butler - no questions asked. The 2017 draft is stacked with guards, and the last thing we need is more guards.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Lets say we end up with the #2 pick in the draft, and Fultz goes #1 as expected.

Would you still be willing to work out a deal for a guy like Butler with the #2 pick

No.

We all have to understand that with the new CBA rules draft picks, especially top-5, are more valuable than ever.  If you draft a future All-Star you can effectively keep that player for at least a decade, if not longer.

There is no way you trade that for a possible 2-year rental for a guy in his late 20s.  This is not a knock on Jimmy Butler at all, but he simply is not worth a top-5 lottery pick in today's NBA.
Yes. Make the pick and be happy we got Ball or Fultz.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Butler is not worth a top 5 pick?

You don't think Ainge would trade Jaylen Brown for Butler straight up   if he could?

How about Phoenix and bender?

Minnesota and Dunn?

Hell even the Lakers and Ingram?

None of those this look likely to become as good as Butler from where I'm standing.   

If im philly and im offered Butler for Simmons, even, I'd have to give it some real thought.

The value of cost controlled picks should be at ots lowest now that we have rising salary caps and everybody had cap space to sign stars...and nobody in this upcoming draft looks especially impressive to me.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
T R A D E.
get immediate help even if it includes Brown.

I see no one in this draft that will help the Cs now or in the next 2 yrs...not Fultz and certainly not Ball.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
T R A D E.
get immediate help even if it includes Brown.

I see no one in this draft that will help the Cs now or in the next 2 yrs...not Fultz and certainly not Ball.

Jonathan Isaac does both!!!!

Smitty77