Author Topic: Imagine The Pick Lands #2; Willing To Trade It Or Still Draft?  (Read 4123 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lets say we end up with the #2 pick in the draft, and Fultz goes #1 as expected.

Lets also say that after the pick is announced to be #2, the Bulls FO comes knocking and talks with Ainge about a deal for the #2 pick + more for Jimmy Butler (they decide to hit the reset button for good and go in the rebuilding direction).

Would you still be willing to work out a deal for a guy like Butler with the #2 pick, or would you draft any of Ball/Jackson/Tatum at #2 and ultimately stand pat on any major trades (keep building slowly along with IT/Smart/Horford/Brown/Zizic/2018NetsPick, etc. going forward).

I've been on the "Keep the 2017 Nets Pick and Build Up Slowly" crowd (become legit contenders 2-3 years from now as opposed to now with Cavs/Warriors dominating), but if the pick lands #2, I have to think about trades. If it's #1, the pick should be untouchable and draft Fultz.

*(I'm assuming Butler is the only "marginally realistic" target with the 2017 Nets Pick as guys like Cousins, PG13, Anthony Davis, etc. will likely be untouchable at the deadline and even this summer)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Imagine The Pick Lands #2; Willing To Trade It Or Still Draft?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd rather take my chances with Ball.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think Ainge would take either Tatum or Jackson when Fultz goes off the table.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Nets ending up with the worst record is not guaranteed.  Even if they do, there is only a 25% chance of actually getting the #1 pick.  If Butler becomes available for the 2017 Nets 1st, Crowder, 2019 Memphis 1st plus filler, I do that deal and I think Ainge would too.  He didn't sign Horford to a MAX contract to tread water waiting for Lebron's decline.  We'd be the clear #2 in the East and still have the 2018 Nets 1st, Brown and Smart for our youth rebuild. 

Then we might be able to snag a good big in free agency or maybe the Clippers breakup and we could snag Jordan or the Kings finally decide to trade Cousins. 

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I think Ainge would take either Tatum or Jackson when Fultz goes off the table.

Disagree. NBA GMs rate Ball a tier 1 prospect with Fultz. Danny may we'll be among that consensus. Ball a terrific 3 point shooter with great range. And Jason Kidd court vision. His teammates will love him.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Still hoping Giles shows enough recovery to enter conversation. March madness still a couple of months away.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The Nets ending up with the worst record is not guaranteed.  Even if they do, there is only a 25% chance of actually getting the #1 pick.  If Butler becomes available for the 2017 Nets 1st, Crowder, 2019 Memphis 1st plus filler, I do that deal and I think Ainge would too.  He didn't sign Horford to a MAX contract to tread water waiting for Lebron's decline.  We'd be the clear #2 in the East and still have the 2018 Nets 1st, Brown and Smart for our youth rebuild. 

Then we might be able to snag a good big in free agency or maybe the Clippers breakup and we could snag Jordan or the Kings finally decide to trade Cousins.

You do remember why Rivers left Boston, Right? He will never break up the Clippers. He will ride them till their window closes, the problem he has is that he is unable to see that the window closed when he decided to run and coach the team.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It depends on who we get in return, in the trade.   But if it was a proven superstar, I would consider trading it over a draft unknown.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It depends on who we get in return, in the trade.   But if it was a proven superstar, I would consider trading it over a draft unknown.

I don't see it happening then. Butler is no superstar, and all the other superstars will be untouchable.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I don't see it happening then. Butler is no superstar, and all the other superstars will be untouchable.

Not sure which basketball world you're living in to not qualify Butler as a superstar.

25, 7 and 5 with 2 steals 46% shooting and 36% from three. Top six in MVP voting and an all start starter all qualify.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think he keeps it the top 5 looks very good unless he gets a super deal in which its like the pick and peanuts for a top 10 guy. He won't over pay

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
trade the #2

and draft Jackson and Monk.  sound good?

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Depends on what the "+ more" is in a Jimmy Butler for #2 + more trade. I probably do a straight up swap of those two pieces 10 times out of 10, but what you're attaching to the #2 pick is where the math can potentially start to get fuzzy the more you add.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Not sure which basketball world you're living in to not qualify Butler as a superstar.

25, 7 and 5 with 2 steals 46% shooting and 36% from three. Top six in MVP voting and an all start starter all qualify.
Star, not superstar.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Star, not superstar.
the lines between those things are kinda fuzzy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.