Author Topic: Per Marc Stein- Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio?  (Read 3183 times)

Re: Per Marc Stein- Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't get this trade for either team.  Detroit lacks a #1 scoring option and struggles to score greatly at times.  While I do like a lot of what Rubio does, I just don't see him as a good fit in Detroit.  Minnesota doesn't need an offense first scorer like Reggie Jackson.  he just doesn't fit with what they are lacking and they are apparently giving up some quality depth in addition to Rubio. 

Just a weird trade rumor that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for either team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't get this trade for either team.  Detroit lacks a #1 scoring option and struggles to score greatly at times.  While I do like a lot of what Rubio does, I just don't see him as a good fit in Detroit.  Minnesota doesn't need an offense first scorer like Reggie Jackson.  he just doesn't fit with what they are lacking and they are apparently giving up some quality depth in addition to Rubio. 

Just a weird trade rumor that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for either team.

Your points are true, but I think aren't looking at it from the correct angles. 

Yes, Detroit lacks a #1 scoring option... but is Reggie Jackson really that guy?  I like the idea of moving on from him and bringing on Rubio for the reasons DefenseWinsChamps mentioned as Detroit continues to look for their eventual #1 scoring option.  I like this deal for Detroit.

As for Minnesota, I think it's a bad deal because it seems to delay Dunn's eventual takeover of the starting PG gig.  But for the present, Rubio has been relegated to a hand the ball off to Lavine/Wiggins to isolate while Rubio spots up role in the Minny offense when Lavine has been healthy.  I think this is bad on Thibs, but I can't control that, and I think Reggie Jackson would be better in that role than Rubio if that's what they're going to do.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Your points are true, but I think aren't looking at it from the correct angles. 

Yes, Detroit lacks a #1 scoring option... but is Reggie Jackson really that guy?  I like the idea of moving on from him and bringing on Rubio for the reasons DefenseWinsChamps mentioned as Detroit continues to look for their eventual #1 scoring option.  I like this deal for Detroit.

As for Minnesota, I think it's a bad deal because it seems to delay Dunn's eventual takeover of the starting PG gig.  But for the present, Rubio has been relegated to a hand the ball off to Lavine/Wiggins to isolate while Rubio spots up role in the Minny offense when Lavine has been healthy.  I think this is bad on Thibs, but I can't control that, and I think Reggie Jackson would be better in that role than Rubio if that's what they're going to do.
I don't think Reggie Jackson is a #1 guy, but he is a much better scorer than Rubio and can on occasion go off and have the big game.  Detroit lacks offensive consistency.  One night it is Harris, one night Jackson, one night Drummond, one night Caldwell-Pope, etc. that have the hot hand.  They are a team comprised of a bunch of 2's and 3's (offensively).  Taking away perhaps your best/most consistent offensive weapon for a facilitator just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  In the right situation, Rubio would be an excellent fit, I just don't see that in Detroit. 

Jackson is a heavy usage player.  He isn't the guy you want just handing the ball off.  That isn't when he is most effective.  He is most effective with the ball in his hand and looking to score, which is pretty darn similar to Lavine and Wiggins. 

The value on the trade seems pretty even (assuming it is Ricky and Shabazz for Reggie), but the fit for each of the acquiring teams just doesn't make sense to me. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Reggie Jackson is probably the last player the wolves need but it might work if they start Dunn and let Jackson be a scorer off the bench.

It might be a lateral move for the Pistons but I think it would be worth it to see if Drummond or another player benefit from playing with a passer like Rubio.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
SVG shot down the rumour. Said it was mentioned in trade talks but no consideration was ever given to it.

And rightly so, Reggie Jackson is much better than Ricky Rubio.