Author Topic: Per Marc Stein- Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio?  (Read 3160 times)

Per Marc Stein- Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio?
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine  · 1m1 minute ago 
Any deal would expand to involve other players -- such as Shabazz Muhammad -- but sources say for now the teams are in the talking stage 

Story going online now with @ChrisBHaynes: ESPN sources say Minnesota and Detroit have discussed a PG swap of Ricky Rubio and Reggie Jackson

‎The Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons have discussed a potential swap of point guards Ricky Rubio and Reggie Jackson, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that no deal appeared imminent Friday but said the teams have engaged in dialogue this week on a potential multiplayer exchange that would be headlined by Rubio and Jackson.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 23.

The Wolves have been openly trying to move Rubio for some time and reportedly are willing to attach swingman Shabazz Muhammad to offers featuring the veteran Spanish point guard‎.

Although he's in just the second year of a five-year, $80 million contract, Jackson is widely believed to be available via trade in the wake of Detroit's recent 9-14 struggles entering Friday's play. ‎The Pistons went 11-10 to start the season while Jackson was out with a knee injury.

Rubio has two seasons left on his contract after this season -- valued ‎at $29.2 million -- compared to Jackson's three remaining seasons.

Although Minnesota is bringing rookie Kris Dunn along slowly this season, Dunn is regarded ‎as the Wolves' point guard of the future, which has led to Rubio's availability.

Re: Per Marc Stein- Reggie Jackson for Ricky Rubio?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Dont get it from Detroits perspective.

For Minnesota im not sure how much sense it makes anyway.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
From Detroit's perspective they've been better without Jackson this year and SVG is feeling the heat.

I don't get it for Minnesota.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Add more chucker for the Wolves?

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Dont get it from Detroits perspective.

For Minnesota im not sure how much sense it makes anyway.

Detroit has guys that could score baskets (Harris, Morris, Drummond, etc.) so perhaps Jackson's ball dominant ways are wearing on Van Gundy. Regardless, it's not as though things were working in Detroit, so maybe this could change things around.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
From Detroit's perspective they've been better without Jackson this year and SVG is feeling the heat.

because it can't get any worst

Rubio has done very little for the Wolves since drafted.

Trade possibility

To Pistons:  Muhammad,  Rubio, 2nd rond pick
To Wolves: Jackson, Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Detroit would be foolish to trade Jackson for Rubio unless they are getting an additional first from Minnesota.

Jackson is coming back from injury but when he was healthy he was a much better player than Rubio imo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think people underestimate how good Rubio has been at the little things in his career and how good he is at setting up other players. To top that off, he has had a lot of player and coaching turnover. How is he ever supposed to get consistent?

Put Rubio next to Pope, Morris, Harris, and Drummond, and you have a versatile, defensive-savy lineup. Put Rubio out there with a stretch-4, and you open the court for him to work even more. Drummonds efficiency will go up, as well as the other guys.

I actually like it a lot for both teams. Jackson seems like a good stats guy, but he has always had a questionable impact on defense and making his teammates better.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Although Minnesota is bringing rookie Kris Dunn along slowly this season, Dunn is regarded ‎as the Wolves' point guard of the future, which has led to Rubio's availability.

Yeah, so let's trade Rubio for a younger PG on an even longer contract so that Dunn can continue to stay on the bench...totally makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:14:07 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

They don't work with Rubio, and Dunn kinda sucks, that's Minnesota's incentive imo.

So glad now that Ainge didn't take Dunn. He said at the time he didn't want the Celtics to get stuck with Dunn, and now I can see why.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think people underestimate how good Rubio has been at the little things in his career and how good he is at setting up other players. To top that off, he has had a lot of player and coaching turnover. How is he ever supposed to get consistent?

Put Rubio next to Pope, Morris, Harris, and Drummond, and you have a versatile, defensive-savy lineup. Put Rubio out there with a stretch-4, and you open the court for him to work even more. Drummonds efficiency will go up, as well as the other guys.

I actually like it a lot for both teams. Jackson seems like a good stats guy, but he has always had a questionable impact on defense and making his teammates better.

Has Rubio in his 6 seasons in the league ever help the Wolves make the playoffs??

He is overrated....  If he was so good , the Wolves would have no need to trade him

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This would be the rare trade that made both teams worse. :)

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I gave you a Tommy Point for this because I thought it was a well thought out argument for Rubio on Detroit... I tend to think he'll just be good enough to break a teams heart when he inevitably gets injured again, but it does seem like surrounding him with capable offensive players and Drummond is worth a shot.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If Rubio is gonna go, someone has to get him to LAC.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:54 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

I agree it makes sense for Pistons especially if they are getting more than Rubio back.

But why would Minnesota want Jackson? He left OKC because he doesn't want to come off the bench anymore, how is he going to settle in Minnesota when he's told he'll have to move over in a few years for Dunn?