Author Topic: ESPN: Nurkic to be traded by deadline  (Read 12957 times)

Re: ESPN: Nurkic to be traded by deadline
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't see why people like Nurkic so much. Seems like a relic in today's NBA. Then again, I don't watch Denver very much at all.

He is huge and immediately would be the best rebounder on the team.  He has skill offensively too and is a good passer.

Makes too much sense to happen.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Link: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/nuggets-jusuf-nurkic-expected-to-be-moved-by-trade-deadline/

What about a Nurkic for Rozier and picks swap? Salaries match. 

Maybe Minny's 2017 2nd rounder and two 2019 first rounders (Celtics, Clippers, or Grizz) ???

To me Rozier and maybe a low #1 is plenty (i think Zeller and Rozier and a 2nd would be better). That way they get a backup C also to replace Nurkic in their lineup.   

Nurkic doesn't have the shooting. lateral quickness or ball skills to be special but he takes up space is a good rebounder, and rim protector which are some of our biggest weaknesses.

Agreed. I'd give up the Clippers pick, or our 2018 pick, but not both, nor would I trade the Memphis pick.

The Brooklyn pick? Are folks confusing him with Jokic?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Quote from: Zach Lowe today
It's not happening right now for the other half of the (mostly) dead Jurkic pairing. With Kenneth Faried rejuvenated, Nurkic is hurting for playing time. Perhaps the main reason: his hideous turnover rate.

The Bosnian Beast has coughed it up on 20 percent of the possessions he has finished with a shot, drawn foul, or turnover -- a gargantuan number for a big man. Only 10 guys 6-foot-10 or taller have ever tossed away so many possessions while hoarding as large a share of offense as Nurkic.

A lot of these gaffes are just careless. Nurkic is huge, and bowls over defenders in the post -- putting him at high risk for charging calls. He has slippery hands. He loves flicking fancy one-handed passes to cutters, but he often misfires or hits their legs.

He also loves hitting people. Sometimes he backs into a post-up with such force, the collision jars the ball loose.

Nurkic should be an efficient player. He's shooting 51 percent, he's a good passer, and he can bulldoze to the rim almost whenever he wants. But coaches won't trust him until he buttons up.

And those are the reasons that he is available right now....

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Quote from: Zach Lowe today
It's not happening right now for the other half of the (mostly) dead Jurkic pairing. With Kenneth Faried rejuvenated, Nurkic is hurting for playing time. Perhaps the main reason: his hideous turnover rate.

The Bosnian Beast has coughed it up on 20 percent of the possessions he has finished with a shot, drawn foul, or turnover -- a gargantuan number for a big man. Only 10 guys 6-foot-10 or taller have ever tossed away so many possessions while hoarding as large a share of offense as Nurkic.

A lot of these gaffes are just careless. Nurkic is huge, and bowls over defenders in the post -- putting him at high risk for charging calls. He has slippery hands. He loves flicking fancy one-handed passes to cutters, but he often misfires or hits their legs.

He also loves hitting people. Sometimes he backs into a post-up with such force, the collision jars the ball loose.

Nurkic should be an efficient player. He's shooting 51 percent, he's a good passer, and he can bulldoze to the rim almost whenever he wants. But coaches won't trust him until he buttons up.

And those are the reasons that he is available right now....

Yeah he is struggling because he has been flip-flopped back and forth with Jokic, who is clearly better now.  This wasn't always the case.

'Buying low' is the classic Ainge move but in this case his availability is well known so the price will probably not be low.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think I'd rather Vučević from the Magic, and the reason may be because he has a little more experience.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think I'd rather Vučević from the Magic, and the reason may be because he has a little more experience.
Even if it means we can't sign a free agent in the offseason? Vuc has a couple years left on his deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'm a big fan of Nurkic. BUT, I don't think he would give us anything that Zizic can't give us, and I think we need a center with much better lateral quickness than he has.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm a big fan of Nurkic. BUT, I don't think he would give us anything that Zizic can't give us, and I think we need a center with much better lateral quickness than he has.

Not sure we can pencil in Zizic for 16/11 (what Nurkic averages in starter minutes) the way you could with Nurkic.

On the turnover issue - isn't that one of the more fixable problems someone could have, especially at age 22?

Heck, Terry Rozier is older than Nurkic and his flaws are far more worrisome.

He's also cost-controlled for this year and next.

I think if the price is right (meaning Rozier and a non-lottery draft pick or two), it's a good move. Helps our rotation, carries little long-term cost.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
All I have to say is if we bring Nurkic into Boston he will become a top big in the East and a instant fan favorite for his hard-working, animated, and bruising game. Please Danny bring him in please!!!

By the way Zizic's skill level is not even close to Nurkic. Zizic isn't even close to as bruising or enforcing as Nurkic or as good of a shot blocker. If Nurkic went like 15 in 2014 which was considered a much stronger draft class, then I think Zizic's selection of 23rd Overall in a much weaker draft a good indicator that his talent isn't even close to on par with Nurkic's.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:18:07 PM by alewilliam789 »

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not sure we can pencil in Zizic for 16/11 (what Nurkic averages in starter minutes) the way you could with Nurkic.

On the turnover issue - isn't that one of the more fixable problems someone could have, especially at age 22?

Heck, Terry Rozier is older than Nurkic and his flaws are far more worrisome.

He's also cost-controlled for this year and next.

I think if the price is right (meaning Rozier and a non-lottery draft pick or two), it's a good move. Helps our rotation, carries little long-term cost.

Can we pencil Nurkic in for that production? Extrapolating per-36 numbers seems extremely optimistic. He's yet to average above 8.6 points or 6.2 rebounds.

I'd be fine with paying a modest price, but I think we should limit our expectations.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Demetrius Jackson
2018 Celtics 1st rd pick (lottery protected)
future 2nd rd pick

for Nurkic

Would also offer Mickey or Young if theyre interested

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope we go in a more athletic direction.  The only way I want him is if we get another player in the deal who is better like a Gallo Nurkic for Zeller and filler with some picks, not the Brooklyn tossed in.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Nurkic seems like the ideal trade candidate for us right now.  He could be had without giving up our best assets, would immediately help fill a need with rebounding, and wouldn't tie up our cap space in the future.

He could start for us in time, but even if he is used as a back up big I don't think many would complain.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I hope we go in a more athletic direction.  The only way I want him is if we get another player in the deal who is better like a Gallo Nurkic for Zeller and filler with some picks, not the Brooklyn tossed in.

Rest easy my friend. There's no chance whatsoever that Danny gives up the Brooklyn pick(s) for Nurkic.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I don't think DA would be interested in Nurkic. Really solid center but not mobile enough. With BS system mobility is very important for big guys. Jokic would fit much better but he is untouchable i think but if Faried became availiable that would get DA attention. Faried doesn't have secured starting spot, plays only 22 mpg so i think maybe they will trade him. DA would be interested because Faried is signed on a solid deal, he is mobile, he rebounds so he can get Amir's minutes if Horford plays the 5.

edit: if Faried is on the trade block i would offer Amir, Rozier + Grizz/Clips pick