Author Topic: C's Young Talent  (Read 4818 times)

Re: C's Young Talent
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
@ GratefulCs: Yea I admitted that.  I said everything I know about him was highlight vids and draftexpress.  I wasnt the one telling other people they dont know what there talking about.

Modify: I did say that after someone said it to me.....touche lol.  And how did you know he was from Europe.  I apologize for assuming everyone here was american, very ignorant.  But he also acknowledged he doesnt watch the games.

@ BitterJim: And lets be straight, I in no way shape or form think Young is going to be a starter and never implied that I did.  But also said I think Zizic is a role player.  And your talking about me ignoring your posts when I said why I put young ahead of zizic in the post above you.  And a team in the euroleague liking him does not alone put him ahead of any players on our "young c's" list. 

I care about what hes good at and what hes bad at & I care about the player he will be when he reaches his peak, and like you said hes good at having a big body (which i think is really the only thing on the list).  What I dont care about his someone renting him for half a season because AT THAT POINT IN TIME he was a good fit (maybe there center got injured, IDK).  Its not a bad thing though that hes in the euroleague.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:24:56 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.
Zizic is a lot stronger and seems to play tougher around the rim. Zeller is at the moment a better skilled big with his ability to hit the outside jump and fluidity with his movement.

Yeah, Zizic is much more Perkins than he is Zeller.

Steven Adams seems like a reasonable comp for Zizic - though Zizic should be able to hit the NBA with a lot more developed game than Adams did (Zizic will have a lot more organized/pro ball experience).  Otherwise, they have very similar physicals and style of game.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.
Zizic is a lot stronger and seems to play tougher around the rim. Zeller is at the moment a better skilled big with his ability to hit the outside jump and fluidity with his movement.

Steven Adams seems like a reasonable comp for Zizic - though Zizic should be able to hit the NBA with a lot more developed game than Adams did (Zizic will have a lot more organized/pro ball experience).  Otherwise, they have very similar physicals and style of game.
I honestly don't even expect we'll ever see Zizic play for the Celtics.  Maybe he'll show up on our D-league team or something. 

But the whole draft-and-stash thing is new for us.  Maybe he'll actually show up and be a contributor.  I'm just not really even thinking about him when I consider the future of this team.  He's a late 1st round pick. They usually don't amount to much.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I guess Olynyk is not a part of this group?

He's technically still on a rookie contract.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
IMO I really like Yabusele and dont anticipate that we would get good value for him (based on the NBA wide shock we took him at 16).  I dont watch the Euroleague but I watch G's highlights and there is A LOT to like about this kid.  For those reasons I think hes off the table.  Then as all of you are aware we do not have a shortage of draft picks these upcoming three seasons. 

My question is do we rush into a Rozier, Zizic, Mickey trade for the purpose that we really cant keep all these draft picks?  Do we keep them and make the decision when we have a gun to our head or its too late?  Whose a realistic player you guys would want to package some of our young talent for (outside of the obvious Noel/Okafor).  Do you guys see the valuation of those players differently then I do?

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

I would guess other GMs do not value these guys as much as Celticsblog does but that is usually the case.  There could be no trade, Ainge is not paying a king's ransom for Noel or the like.   Other GM's are not going to take these guys for sheer talent unless there is a pick to sweeten the deal.

Ziz amd Yabu are largely unproven NBA talent.   Rozier and Mickey and good D league players but so far they have shown little else.   Young has no value.   I think Zeller and a pick is a more likely deal but these guys as of right now are not proven assets.   Zizic may be the exception.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
The C's, IMO, have very little young talent.  They have some decent to good youngISH talent, but as far as 1/2 year players, no!  Jaylen and Rozier are about it, and both, at this stage are promising, but still iffy as far as becoming stars.  When compared to Philly, with Embid, Saric, and Simmons we pale.  Compared to Ingram, DARussel, Nance and Zubac we pale.
For all our props about our assets, and picks, and cap flexibility, we have precious little to show for it, with neither an elite team now, or the look of an elite team down the road with really no star talent on the horizon.  Danny has had plenty of time(at least 2 or 2 1/2 yrs)to accomplish either, and is still come up empty on getting us strongly in one direction or the other!
Right now a handful of teams are passing us by in their quest for young talent!

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the celts turn for the next few years to pick up talent-nance just said they got complacent after one win
only in la la land
these guys will fold like a cheap suit-they had the kobe festival last season
 this year correct me if i'm wrong they lose their first round that is top three protected

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I honestly don't even expect we'll ever see Zizic play for the Celtics.  Maybe he'll show up on our D-league team or something. 

But the whole draft-and-stash thing is new for us.  Maybe he'll actually show up and be a contributor.  I'm just not really even thinking about him when I consider the future of this team.  He's a late 1st round pick. They usually don't amount to much.

How about this LarBrd??  I will GUARANTEE you he comes over next year and averages at LEAST 7 points and 4 boards!!!:-)))))))))))

Smitty77

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Marcus Smart & Jaylen Brown are not included in this post.

Within the past couple seasons the Celtics have drafted Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Yabusele, Zizic, Bentil, Jackson.  We already waived Hunter due to a lack of roster spots.  After reading some articles it looks like Yabusele and Zizic are expected (by celtics brass) to join the team next year (dependent on the number of available roster spots.  In my rankings its:

Rozier & Yabusele
Zizic
Mickey
Bentil/Jackson

IMO I really like Yabusele and dont anticipate that we would get good value for him (based on the NBA wide shock we took him at 16).  I dont watch the Euroleague but I watch G's highlights and there is A LOT to like about this kid.  For those reasons I think hes off the table.  Then as all of you are aware we do not have a shortage of draft picks these upcoming three seasons. 

My question is do we rush into a Rozier, Zizic, Mickey trade for the purpose that we really cant keep all these draft picks?  Do we keep them and make the decision when we have a gun to our head or its too late?  Whose a realistic player you guys would want to package some of our young talent for (outside of the obvious Noel/Okafor).  Do you guys see the valuation of those players differently then I do?

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

All Jags

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 02:05:31 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@bmac934

Regarding your OP.

1. Yabusele plays in the Shangai Sharks in China, not in a team that competes in the Euroleague.

2. As hpantazo already said Pekovic has effectively retired.

3. IMO the trades you suggest do not work for various reasons.
i. You don't trade players you spent a first rounder for without ever giving them a try.
ii. Other teams will offer you peanuts for untested players.
iii. Salaries. Tucker, Young and Hill are on cheap contracts (4-5 mill a year) but saltlover has explained in detail in another thread that we need to save every penny if we want to offer a max this summer.

4. (All this assuming we even want Young, Tucker and Hill. Personally I don't see why we would want them even if they came for free.)

Hope this helps.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 02:22:45 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The C's, IMO, have very little young talent.  They have some decent to good youngISH talent, but as far as 1/2 year players, no!  Jaylen and Rozier are about it, and both, at this stage are promising, but still iffy as far as becoming stars.  When compared to Philly, with Embid, Saric, and Simmons we pale.  Compared to Ingram, DARussel, Nance and Zubac we pale.
For all our props about our assets, and picks, and cap flexibility, we have precious little to show for it, with neither an elite team now, or the look of an elite team down the road with really no star talent on the horizon.  Danny has had plenty of time(at least 2 or 2 1/2 yrs)to accomplish either, and is still come up empty on getting us strongly in one direction or the other!
Right now a handful of teams are passing us by in their quest for young talent!

Embiid is in his third season.