Author Topic: C's Young Talent  (Read 4805 times)

Re: C's Young Talent
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Lol this awkward (about Pekovic).  And I also forgot about James Young.

Again not counting Brown & Smart - IMO:
Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

The fact that Zizic plays in the Euroleague and had a large transfer fee really doesnt mean much to me.  I think Zizic's production is a function of his motor and athletic ability not really offense/defense skillset.  I also dont really feel like he has any upside as theres nothing hes truly GREAT at.

It's one thing to have Yabusele above Zizic, but putting Young (who's 2018-19 option we declined because he's awful) above him tells me that you either don't know anything about him or actively don't like him.  There's a reason that Zizic is likely to be on the team next year while Young will probably be allowed to walk

TP Jim.

Brown - highest ceiling
Smart - proven the most and will have a long career (barring injury)
Rozier - this one is iffy, I give Rozier the nod here because he's in the NBA
Zizic - not an all-star but Zizic could have a long, productive career
Yabusele - at 6'8" and an under-the-basket player Yab may be limited but his caboose, straight line speed and outside shooting may make him a valuable piece
Mickey - Still only 22, Mickey may still yet have a NBA career off the bench
Nader - showing that he may be better suited to the pro game than the college one
Young - :(  I had such high hopes....
Jackson - roster filler IMO

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.
Do you watch games or just highlights?

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There was this thread going around a week or two ago about there being 'significant interest' in Zizic around the league. I haven't heard the same about Yab.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88550.0

Also, I agree with those saying Zizic is a much different player than Zeller (other than they are both white centers). Zizic is super aggressive, active, energetic, and growing stronger by the day. Zeller is a very skilled player, but was never able to obtain that killer instinct.

As for the other names - yeah, Smart and Brown are by far our most valuable players (BKN picks are more valuable assets). Rozier still has a ton of potential - don't give up on him yet. Nader and Jackson could be around next year depending on roster space. And Mickey and Young are gone.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
In going back and looking at the roster, Johnson, Zeller (non-guaranteed), Jerebko, Young, Green, Jackson (Only $640K guaranteed), and Mickey (non-guaranteed) all could be open slots for young players (that is assuming we sign Olynyk).  That is 7 slots.

I could actually see us signing Amir to a much lower number, Zizic replacing Zeller, Yabu replacing Jerebko, and the BNK pick replacing Green.  Then we see if we like any of the second round picks better than Young, Jackson, or Mickey.

I think Smart, Rozier, and Brown are all useful NBA players at a minimum.  I don't think any of them will be what I consider a star but that doesn't mean they aren't valuable assets.  Any or all of them could be as good as say Avery Bradley and Brown in particular could go higher.  I think Yabu and Zizic will probably both be useful but very unlikely stars (say we target Amir Johnson level).

I think we are in pretty good shape in terms of young players and assets for a team that is likely to win a round in the playoffs.  We still need to pull a star or two out of these remaining picks (or hope for Brown or another surprise) but we are in a good position to have that happen.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.
of zizic?  No I have just seen the videos people have shared and none of them are impressive.  He looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent.  Im just not expecting much but hope to be pleasantly surprised if he ever actually plays for us.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

of zizic?  No I have just seen the videos people have shared and none of them are impressive.  He looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent.  Im just not expecting much but hope to be pleasantly surprised if he ever actually plays for us.

Go back to my post here from October:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=87227.msg2178314;topicseen#msg2178314

He moves far more effectively without the ball. Ty's not a small guy but Zizic's frame is larger. He's more athletic than Zeller. But Zizic plays more like Ty Hansbrough than Ty Zeller (though far larger and athletic than Hansbrough). The guy has some nasty in him and that makes all the difference.

I'm not saying he'll be a star. But he's going to be in the NBA next year playing for the Cs.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

The fact that Zizic plays in the Euroleague and had a large transfer fee really doesnt mean much to me.  I think Zizic's production is a function of his motor and athletic ability not really offense/defense skillset.  I also dont really feel like he has any upside as theres nothing hes truly GREAT at.

It's one thing to have Yabusele above Zizic, but putting Young (who's 2018-19 option we declined because he's awful) above him tells me that you either don't know anything about him or actively don't like him.  There's a reason that Zizic is likely to be on the team next year while Young will probably be allowed to walk

LOL you know nothing about Zizic, dont act like you watch him & your gassing him up because he puts up a couple 15 and ten performances in the Euroleague.  Key word EUROLEAGUE.  Last game his "significant role" consisted of 10 minutes of play.  In his last 6 games he came off the bench for 5 of them.  Your argument consisted of the Euroleague and money.  Zizic has virtually no skillset and his highlights consist of him running the floor and hitting open layups.  Please tell me more from your pool of Zizic knowledge that allows you to talk down to me.  Also please let me know where I can watch the Euroleague & Chinese league games that your watching, because how else would you know about Yabuseles lack of progress.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:28:52 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Zeller isn't even that good...

He had so many chances to improve his mid range shot, extend it to the 3 point, work on his handles, passing vision, and defensive credentials...

Zizic looks far ahead of the learning spectrum.

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

LOL you know nothing about Zizic, dont act like you watch him & your gassing him up because he puts up a couple 15 and ten performances in the Euroleague.  Key word EUROLEAGUE.  Last game his "significant role" consisted of 10 minutes of play.  In his last 6 games he came off the bench for 5 of them.  Your argument consisted of the Euroleague and money.  Zizic has virtually no skillset and his highlights consist of him running the floor and hitting open layups.  Please tell me more from your pool of Zizic knowledge that allows you to talk down to me.  Also please let me know where I can watch the Euroleague & Chinese league games that your watching, because how else would you know about Yabuseles lack of progress.

This is where the thread just took a turn for the worse.

I agree with Jim that I had absolutely no clue why you placed Young above Zizic. Young may have had NBA minutes, but he is just like a project compared to Zizic, who at least is younger, a big men, and has more potential than Young has now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:41:21 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Counting minutes for prospects in competitive enviroment is misleading. The same thing can be said about Brown.
5 points, 2 rebs. Meh.
But I see there is a lot to like in his game.
Zizic is less skilled and has a lot lower ceiling offcourse, but don't read too much from his playing time and production.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
Counting minutes for prospects in competitive enviroment is misleading. The same thing can be said about Brown.
5 points, 2 rebs. Meh.
Zizic is less skilled and has a lot lower ceiling offcourse, but don't read too much from his playing time and production.

Well Browns competetive environment is the NBA and Zizics is the euroleague.  But I do agree with you, my point was noone is the all knowing on zizic because we cant watch him.  I found it disrespectful that someone told me I know nothing about him as if they were sitting on a high horse, when that some person is in the same position I'm in.  But at the same time minutes can prove/disprove a point that Zizic has a "large role".  I watch draftexpress from last year and highlight videos this year (which dont paint the whole picture) but at least gives me some knowledge.  I put Young ahead of Zizic because Young is a defensive liability but at least has an offensive skillset, while Zizic is simply a big body that we hope improves.

Like you said for better or worse dont read too much into playing time & production.   My points were all based on things that I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:06:53 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

Sorry if you interpreted my comments as talking down to you, I certainly didn't mean for them to come across that way.  I honestly don't see how anyone could put Young ahead of Zizic without either 1. knowing nothing about Zizic 2. underrating him heavily because they don't like him or 3. thinking Young has a legitimate future in this league as a starting caliber (or better) player.  Please let me know how you reached that decision (sidenote, if you're actually curious about watching Euroleague, you can get their league pass here, or watch games through other... less legal means)

I never said I watch all of Zizic's games (or Yabusele's), but from looking at his stats (compared to other euroleague players) and clips of his games, you can get a good idea of the player he will be: a strong rebounder (which is a skill that transfers well to the NBA) that uses his size and (to a lesser degree) strength to score inside/as a roll man (this should transfer over, although he may need to add more weight/strength).  He's not a post-up threat or shooter, but he should be a better version of Zeller minus the midrange shooting when he comes over (he could develop into more than that, but I wouldn't expect anything more than a decent starter as his career peak)

I've also been following Yabusele's stats and clips when possible (although it's a lot harder, and the stats are useless when the competition is so poor).  Yabusele still has the potential he showed last year, but you can't really tell anything from his play in the CBA because the competition is awful.  From clips I've seen, though, his defense hasn't looked very good, which he'll need to improve on to carve out a niche hear.  His offense is about where you'd expect it to be, good shooting and using his strength against much weaker competition.  He hasn't been discouraging (and I never said he was - "he hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted" is the closest I said to that, but that's just the case: he's looked like what I expected, his stats are better than I was expecting but in a league where Jimmer Freddette is averaging almost 40ppg, I take that with a handful of salt)

My argument wasn't "euroleague and money", it's that a team in the top non-NBA basketball league thought highly enough of him to pay a huge sum to get him for half a season.  That's something they could have done over the summer and had him for the whole year, but he wasn't worth it then.  He had a very good showing in the Adriatic League (weaker than the euroleague, but still better the the DLeague) which improved their perception of him enough to pay a lot of money for him.  The fact that they clearly like him a lot coupled with my own eye test tells me that his value has increased significantly since the summer.  That should put him above Yabusele (although the argument can be made that he doesn't go above him), and it definitely puts him above Young

I don't know why you think playing 10 minutes in a game somehow means he's not playing a big role.  Heck, he started and played 33 minutes in their game today.  He's averaged 21 mpg on a team in one of the top leagues in the world despite turning 20 this month.  You seem to be emphasizing that it's euroleague like it's a weak league, but it's the best outside of the NBA.  Obviously it's not the NBA but it's stronger competition that you'll find in the NCAA, or DLeague, or CBA.  If you don't see how that puts him ahead of James "Didn't get his option picked up" Young, I don't even know what to say. 
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

I agree with Jim that I had absolutely no clue why you placed Young above Zizic. Young may have had NBA minutes, but he is just like a project compared to Zizic, who at least is younger, a big men, and has more potential than Young has now.

Yeah, he just ignored my actual post and instead started arguing with points I never made and being condescending, apparently off of a misinterpretation that "I don't see how you can put Young over Zizic unless you know nothing about him or dislike him" is the same as "You know nothing about Zizic"

But at least now it's improved to him telling one of our posters from Europe that no one here can watch Zizic play games and implying that I think I'm omnipotent in regards to Zizic, so maybe we're on the upswing
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
5 points, 2 rebs. Meh.

Well Browns competetive environment is the NBA and Zizics is the euroleague.  But I do agree with you, my point was noone is the all knowing on zizic because we cant watch him.  I found it disrespectful that someone told me I know nothing about him as if they were sitting on a high horse, when that some person is in the same position I'm in.  But at the same time minutes can prove/disprove a point that Zizic has a "large role".  I watch draftexpress from last year and highlight videos this year (which dont paint the whole picture) but at least gives me some knowledge.  I put Young ahead of Zizic because Young is a defensive liability but at least has an offensive skillset, while Zizic is simply a big body that we hope improves.

Like you said for better or worse dont read too much into playing time & production.   My points were all based on things that I've seen.

Killing backboards isn't an offensive skillset.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

Yeah, he just ignored my actual post and instead started arguing with points I never made and being condescending, apparently off of a misinterpretation that "I don't see how you can put Young over Zizic unless you know nothing about him or dislike him" is the same as "You know nothing about Zizic"

But at least now it's improved to him telling one of our posters from Europe that no one here can watch Zizic play games and implying that I think I'm omnipotent in regards to Zizic, so maybe we're on the upswing

1. I read all your posts very carefully and was arguing posts that you made.

2. Why are you apologizing in 1 post then being aggressive in the next?

3. You directly said "tells me that you either don't know anything about him or actively don't like him".  So no there was no miscommunication.

4. And now my posts have improved? Your explanations prior to my comment have been...
size = congrats hes 7 ft
performance = the performance you havent watched
money = again congrats
not a high ceiling = i agree

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

1. I read all your posts very carefully and was arguing posts that you made.

2. Why are you apologizing in 1 post then being aggressive in the next?

3. You directly said "tells me that you either don't know anything about him or actively don't like him".  So no there was no miscommunication.

4. And now my posts have improved? Your explanations have been...
size = congrats hes 7 ft
performance = the performance you havent watched
money = again congrats
not a high ceiling = i agree
you mean the performance YOU haven't watched?
I trust Danny Ainge