Author Topic: C's Young Talent  (Read 4820 times)

C's Young Talent
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Marcus Smart & Jaylen Brown are not included in this post.

Within the past couple seasons the Celtics have drafted Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Yabusele, Zizic, Bentil, Jackson.  We already waived Hunter due to a lack of roster spots.  After reading some articles it looks like Yabusele and Zizic are expected (by celtics brass) to join the team next year (dependent on the number of available roster spots.  In my rankings its:

Rozier & Yabusele
Zizic
Mickey
Bentil/Jackson

IMO I really like Yabusele and dont anticipate that we would get good value for him (based on the NBA wide shock we took him at 16).  I dont watch the Euroleague but I watch G's highlights and there is A LOT to like about this kid.  For those reasons I think hes off the table.  Then as all of you are aware we do not have a shortage of draft picks these upcoming three seasons. 

My question is do we rush into a Rozier, Zizic, Mickey trade for the purpose that we really cant keep all these draft picks?  Do we keep them and make the decision when we have a gun to our head or its too late?  Whose a realistic player you guys would want to package some of our young talent for (outside of the obvious Noel/Okafor).  Do you guys see the valuation of those players differently then I do?

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

Re: C's Young Talent
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Within the past couple seasons the Celtics have drafted Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Yabusele, Zizic, Bentil, Jackson.  We already waived Hunter due to a lack of roster spots.  After reading some articles it looks like Yabusele and Zizic are expected (by celtics brass) to join the team next year (dependent on the number of available roster spots.  In my rankings its:

Rozier & Yabusele
Zizic
Mickey
Bentil/Jackson

IMO I really like Yabusele and dont anticipate that we would get good value for him (based on the NBA wide shock we took him at 16).  I dont watch the Euroleague but I watch G's highlights and there is A LOT to like about this kid.  For those reasons I think hes off the table.  Then as all of you are aware we do not have a shortage of draft picks these upcoming three seasons. 

My question is do we rush into a Rozier, Zizic, Mickey trade for the purpose that we really cant keep all these draft picks?  Do we keep them and make the decision when we have a gun to our head or its too late?  Whose a realistic player you guys would want to package some of our young talent for (outside of the obvious Noel/Okafor).  Do you guys see the valuation of those players differently then I do?

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

1) PJ Tucker has actually bounced back, but he is what he is... I'm not convinced his shooting is good enough to slot him at the 4.

2) Nick Young... You're kidding me right? This guy has actually had his best season efficiency wise, but... Young is the definition of a gunner. He is extremely streaky. I'm not convinced he'll put up numbers similar to this year, going over to next year.

3) Jordan Hill is someone I may be convinced on taking a flier on, but Pekovic is slow, useless, and can't even board that well for being a bulky 6'10-6'11 Euro.

__

We no longer have Bentil.

I'm convinced Ainge is trying to use Rozier as a showcasing talent.

I think the most likely to be traded is Rozier, Mickey or Jackson, in order. Considering Mickey and Jackson are also contract friendly rookies signed up for additional years, whereas Rozier you're going to have to make a decision to sign him soon.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The ranking for our young guys should be:

Zizic
Rozier
Yabusele/Nader
Jackson/Mickey

Bentil is not included because we do not have his rights

You could argue that Rozier belongs above or on the same level as Zizic given that he has actual NBA experience, but Zizic's size and performance in Europe put him solidly above Rozier for me.  He should be a contributor next season.  Yabusele and Nader are both dong very well in their respective leagues, but the DLeague and CBA are weak leagues, so it needs to be taken with a pinch (or even handful) of salt.  Yabusele especially has to answer questions about his ability to play defense.  Jackson and Mickey are both unguaranteed, and it doesn't look like they'll be brought back next year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Rozier & Yabusele
Zizic
Mickey
Bentil/Jackson

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

1) PJ Tucker has actually bounced back, but he is what he is... I'm not convinced his shooting is good enough to slot him at the 4.

2) Nick Young... You're kidding me right? This guy has actually had his best season efficiency wise, but... Young is the definition of a gunner. He is extremely streaky. I'm not convinced he'll put up numbers similar to this year, going over to next year.

3) Jordan Hill is someone I may be convinced on taking a flier on, but Pekovic is slow, useless, and can't even board that well for being a bulky 6'10-6'11 Euro.

__

I think the most likely to be traded is Rozier, Mickey or Jackson, in order. Considering Mickey and Jackson are also contract friendly rookies signed up for additional years, whereas Rozier you're going to have to make a decision to sign him soon.

Rozier's contract expires in 2019 (when he will become an RFA), the same year as Mickey.  The only real difference is that Mickey has each year unguaranteed while Rozier has 2017-18 and 2018-19 as team options that need to be picked up almost a year before they vest (and the 2017/18 year has already been picked up)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Rozier & Yabusele
Zizic
Mickey
Bentil/Jackson

My ideas:
PJ Tucker
Nick Young
Jordan Hill/Pekovic

__

Rozier's contract expires in 2019 (when he will become an RFA), the same year as Mickey.  The only real difference is that Mickey has each year unguaranteed while Rozier has 2017-18 and 2018-19 as team options that need to be picked up almost a year before they vest (and the 2017/18 year has already been picked up)

Ah, you're right. I don't know why I thought his contract expired 2018-2018.

Well regardless, I haven't been the biggest fan of Rozier.

Yabusele has been impressive though, I really do wonder if his sheer athleticism and floor spacing abilities will translate to the professional leagues.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Not sure I am getting the point of the OP but our young stable includes:

Smart
Brown
Rozier
Young
Zizic (Rights)
Yabusele (Rights)
Mickey
Jackson
Nader (Rights)

We will soon add BNK 2017 and 2018 which should be studs.  This ins't quite like Philly or Minny but it is a pretty good stable of young players/picks.

If the point is that this is too many young players and that some need to be "consolidated", sure, absolutely.  I suspect Rozier, Young, and either Zizic or Yabu (but probably not both) are on the market in almost every trade discussion that Danny would initiate.  I don't think Mickey, Jackson and the rights to Nader have much value.

I suspect that teams are interested in Smart, Brown, and the BKN picks but I would hope that those are only on the table for higher tier players.  There are some players out there that I would be willing to trade any of these for although I don't think it is very likely.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I think Nick Young is a better Gerald Green and the thought process was to slide him into Greens role off the bench.  The other thought process was use it or lose it with the young talent we have (ie. RJ Hunter).  I wasnt saying we need some Nick Young on our team lol.  Your right I forgot about Nader and would put him between Zizic and Mickey.  I also disagree and think Mickey will be brought back (or the Celtics would want to bring him back).

IMO Zizic is a potential role player.  Yabusele is in the mold of draymond green (very poor mans DG).  Yabusele can do it all and you could play him at C in small ball lineups (8'4 standing reach I believe), 260lbs (muscle not fat) and moves around as if hes 40lbs lighter.  As a PF he can shoot the 3 ball & put it on the ground.  He has a high motor (which Zizic does as well).

PS: I doubt DA ranks Zizic above Yabusele considering he drafted Yabusele 1st lol.

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Do we still have rights to Marcus Thornton also?

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

A lot has happened for Zizic between the draft and now.  He got bought for a huge amount of money by one of the best non-NBA teams in the world (with his rights returning to the original team this summer - they literally bought just 1/2 season of him for a reported 1.5 million Euros.  That's a HUGE transfer fee, especially for just 1/2 a year) and is now playing a significant role for them despite only turning 20 a few weeks ago.  Yabusele, on the other hand, hasn't shown much more than when he was drafted.  He has a ton of potential, but there's no evidence that he will reach that.  Zizic might not have quite as high of a ceiling, but his skills should transfer well (especially his rebounding), and he's done a lot to increase his value since June
i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
FYI, Pekovic is basically retired. He hasn't been able to play the past few seasons due to serious ankle issues and sounds like he will never play again.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

i don't really expect anything from any of them. Every video I see of zizic looks like Tyler Zeller playing against inferior talent. 

At this point, I still have a little hope Smart could break out, but of all our guys under 25, Jaylen is really the only young player I irrationally believe can become a star some day.
Zizic is a lot stronger and seems to play tougher around the rim. Zeller is at the moment a better skilled big with his ability to hit the outside jump and fluidity with his movement. 

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Zizic is a lot stronger and seems to play tougher around the rim. Zeller is at the moment a better skilled big with his ability to hit the outside jump and fluidity with his movement.

Yeah, Zizic is much more Perkins than he is Zeller.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
Lol this awkward (about Pekovic).  And I also forgot about James Young.

Again not counting Brown & Smart - IMO:
Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

The fact that Zizic plays in the Euroleague and had a large transfer fee really doesnt mean much to me.  I think Zizic's production is a function of his motor and athletic ability not really offense/defense skillset.  I also dont really feel like he has any upside as theres nothing hes truly GREAT at.
I also dont want the Chinese league and cant speak on if hes gotten better over the course of this year.  But he was very impressive in the Summer League and from the highlights I've seen he has an all around game that coupled with his body type and athletic abilities is far from common.  His athletic abilities make him capable of guarding really any position on defense (granted from what I've seen he isnt really the smartest defender) & has a complete offensive skillset (coupled with the fact that he makes dominant "grown man type moves" - the kid is strong).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:46:07 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
Lol this awkward (about Pekovic).  And I also forgot about James Young.

Again not counting Brown & Smart - IMO:
Rozier
Yabusele
Young
Zizic
Mickey
Nader
Jackson

The fact that Zizic plays in the Euroleague and had a large transfer fee really doesnt mean much to me.  I think Zizic's production is a function of his motor and athletic ability not really offense/defense skillset.  I also dont really feel like he has any upside as theres nothing hes truly GREAT at.

It's one thing to have Yabusele above Zizic, but putting Young (who's 2018-19 option we declined because he's awful) above him tells me that you either don't know anything about him or actively don't like him.  There's a reason that Zizic is likely to be on the team next year while Young will probably be allowed to walk
I'm bitter.