Author Topic: Donald Trump Inauguration Thread  (Read 4481 times)

Re: Donald Trump Inauguration Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 23
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
Some neat data here. Difficult to say exactly what it means but it indicates the tenor of Trump's speech was drastically different than tradition.

I'm kinda surprised some of these have never shown up before, though.

infrastructure, trillions, wind-swept, urban, are a few I am surprised have never shown up before.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2034
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Some neat data here. Difficult to say exactly what it means but it indicates the tenor of Trump's speech was drastically different than tradition.

infrastructure, trillions, wind-swept, urban, are a few I am surprised have never shown up before.

Inaugurals rarely hit on specific policies, so I'm not that surprised by infrastructure. It's a newer word too. Trillions have only been relevant for the past 5-6 Presidents so ditto there.  "Sad" and "lady" were the real surprises for me since they're such basic words.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

Online JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1140

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

Most of these lose their shock value when expanded very quickly. Such as - He said whether you are black brown or white we all bleed red.

It just seems like a complete waste of time to pick out words and then say wow no other person said these at an inauguration speech without the context behind them.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

Most of these lose their shock value when expanded very quickly. Such as - He said whether you are black brown or white we all bleed red.

It just seems like a complete waste of time to pick out words and then say wow no other person said these at an inauguration speech without the context behind them.
Agreed. Context matters.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1241
I'm surprised his vocabulary is that large (just kidding).
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm surprised his vocabulary is that large (just kidding).
That's what speechwriters are for!

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2034
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I wasn't aware there was any shock value intended. Are you sure you're not reading something into this that isn't there? This is just a list of words unique to this address.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

I wasn't aware there was any shock value intended. Are you sure you're not reading something into this that isn't there? This is just a list of words unique to this address.
The words were displayed next to a statement saying these words represent the tenor of the speech. It's clear what the intentions were. Unfortunately for you it falls flat after you look at the full context of most of the words.

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 747
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The words were displayed next to a statement saying these words represent the tenor of the speech. It's clear what the intentions were. Unfortunately for you it falls flat after you look at the full context of most of the words.
You consistently assume people are saying negative things about Trump when they are not (well at least not always). Stop being so defensive. Someone posted this and said it was a different tenor than tradition. Different does not mean worse and you shouldn't interpret it that way.

I for one was shocked that he was the first to use infrastructure, infrastructure spending is something that pretty much everyone agrees is a good thing, surprised previous presidents didn't use that word in the past.

If anything I think him using words that haven't been used before points to the fact that he isn't a traditional politician. Since him being an outsider was a driving force in his support that shouldn't be taken as a bad thing.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 910
Drinking rules anyone?

-  Social, every time Trump says, 'Terrific'.

-  Shots if he makes mention of the Mexico wall. 

-  Light a spliff if he compliments Obama (MA, ME, CA, AK, OR, NV, DC or WA residents only!)

-

-

TP Dub. Good Idea.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

You consistently assume people are saying negative things about Trump when they are not (well at least not always). Stop being so defensive. Someone posted this and said it was a different tenor than tradition. Different does not mean worse and you shouldn't interpret it that way.

I for one was shocked that he was the first to use infrastructure, infrastructure spending is something that pretty much everyone agrees is a good thing, surprised previous presidents didn't use that word in the past.

If anything I think him using words that haven't been used before points to the fact that he isn't a traditional politician. Since him being an outsider was a driving force in his support that shouldn't be taken as a bad thing.
Because Flushed, stolen, bleed, carnage, ripped, stealing, tombstones, disrepair, sad, trapped etc is not a list of hand selected words to try to draw false conclusions or shock value? Come on.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 142

How can you compare tenor by selecting words out of context? Doesn't context determine tenor more than individual words? Compile a list of words used in the past that were not used in this speech and determine what the tenor of those speeches were. Better yet, do it blindly and guess which president spoke which words.

This list means nothing.

*Disclaimer: Not a Trump supporter.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27755
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
I thought the tone was similar to much of Reagan's first inaugural. Not necessarily as uplifting as you'd like, but strong.

Now Kennedy, that guy knew how to give an inaugural.

I don't know anything about the inaugural speeches of any other post-WW2 Presidents, so I can't compare.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...