Poll

If it is between Fultz, Ball, Jackson - who should the Celtics pick?

Fultz
Ball
Jackson

Author Topic: If it is between Fultz, Ball, Jackson - who should the Celtics pick? (Poll)  (Read 18109 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Scenerio: Celtics win the lotto and have the 1st pick.  Between these three players who are you choosing? And why?

How does it impact the roster heading into next season? Long term?

This could possibly be the Celts last top 5 pick for a long time

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Fultz. Best player avaiable. Can create his own offense. Can also play either guard position. This is a pretty easy poll.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I said Fultz...great prospect and in the event the Celtics want to flip him, he would be easier to move.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Scenerio: Celtics win the lotto and have the 1st pick.  Between these three players who are you choosing? And why?

How does it impact the roster heading into next season? Long term?

This could possibly be the Celts last top 5 pick for a long time
Fultz is my pick. He is a really good shooter, can beat his man off the dribble, has great length for his position and great smooth athleticism. He is a point guard but has the size/length to guard 2's and the shooting to play off the ball, which means he can more easily fit onto the roster than a guy like Jackson who can't shoot.

Long term, drafting Fultz or Ball probably means one or two of Bradley, Smart and IT will not be on the team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Fultz. Best player avaiable. Can create his own offense. Can also play either guard position. This is a pretty easy poll.
Why is he the best player available though?

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Fultz -- by far the best player in the draft. A good shooter spotting up and off the dribble. Can create separation from his defender off the dribble. Can get to the basket. One of the most versatile scoring guards from Day One in the NBA. A capable defender / rebounder and passer.

Not convinced by either Ball or Jackson as top 3 pick material. I have Patton, Isaac and Tatum ahead of them. Dennis Smith too. Concerned about Ball's ability to drive in the halfcourt and I do not see much that translates to the NBA in Jackson's offensive game.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Fultz -- by far the best player in the draft. A good shooter spotting up and off the dribble. Can create separation from his defender off the dribble. Can get to the basket. One of the most versatile scoring guards from Day One in the NBA. A capable defender / rebounder and passer.

Not convinced by either Ball or Jackson as top 3 pick material. I have Patton, Isaac and Tatum ahead of them. Dennis Smith too. Concerned about Ball's ability to drive in the halfcourt and I do not see much that translates to the NBA in Jackson's offensive game.

Harsh... =T

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Harsh... =T

Seriously, he looks like a playmaking MKG.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Harsh... =T

Well, I look at his touches in the high post and elbow area (especially against zones). A lot of his passes and one-on-one moves are coming from that area. Non-centers get few touches there in the NBA nowadays. So I don't think the opportunities will be there for him.

Jackson also benefits greatly from playing the PF in college thus giving him more space to exploit and more opportunities to use his quickness. Whereas in the NBA, Jackson will likely have to play the SF. He won't have the same space. He will be playing against guys who have more comparable speed, size and athleticism as him. Jackson also does really well against zones as a PF which also will not be there in the NBA.

I think Jackson's one-on-one game is lacking outside of those situations mentioned above.

He is a bad shooter. That is another limitation. Hurts spacing.

He is a solid ball-handler and passer but I do not see him creating in PnR often enough. Not sure how well he can run the PnR. Maybe he can show that more in pre-draft workouts.

What I do see translating = transition offense and cutting.

I like Jackson in the 5-10 range (size, athleticism, defense, rebounding, team guy) but not convinced about him in the top 5 yet. I want to see more offense from him to put him there given the other talent available. 

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Harsh... =T

I don't think Jackson's shot is as broken as MKG's. I also think MKGs career would be viewed a lot more favorably at this point had he not gotten hurt so much.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Why is he the best player available though?

I think it's part because of the amazing play but also that there's really nothing to be said about Markelle when it comes to red flags. The total package already seems to be there for a young guard, which you really can't ask for more if you're looking for a franchise point guard.

I guess we won't see him play any meaningful defense this year but the consensus is that all the other guys have more worrisome concerns, like Ball's main offense coming in the form of alley oops and deep threes, I just don't know if he can be that predictable in the NBA level and still be effective. Jackson is that guy that can do a lot on the court, has shown some heart but we would have to bank on yet another non-shooter learning to shoot over time. I don't know how many times we can make that gamble.

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Harsh... =T

I don't think Jackson's shot is as broken as MKG's. I also think MKGs career would be viewed a lot more favorably at this point had he not gotten hurt so much.

You think Jackson has more potential than Isaac?

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I love Ball and think he is an absolute pleasure to watch, but I just can't pass up on Fultz who seems perfectly suited to be a star in todays NBA. 

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Celtics put a lot of emphasis on the personality and mentality of the pick.
Do we know anything about those kids other then bball skills?

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I love Ball and think he is an absolute pleasure to watch, but I just can't pass up on Fultz who seems perfectly suited to be a star in todays NBA.

I still think Ball contributes more to winning basketball (channeling my inner Bill Walton here), but I seem to be in the minority.